What are you looking at for an Engine and art style?

For updates and discussion of Terra Invicta, a grand-strategy alien invasion simulator
savageshark

What are you looking at for an Engine and art style?

Post by savageshark »

What type of game engine will you be looking at when you start this project?

For your art style what direction are you considering? Pixel or 3D details?
If this is your first game, may I suggest starting off small with your initial approach before you risk making this project to big for yourselves. Making a Mod for a game is one thing, but you're talking about building a game from scratch, right? Unless you have people experienced with this process I again encourage that you start off small and work your way up first.
econundrum

Re: What are you looking at for an Engine and art style?

Post by econundrum »

I'd guess they will either do an in house 2D engine or go with Unreal in one form or another since they have worked with that engine before.

Probably Unreal I'd guess unless they have experience with something else few development studios build their own engines from scratch now and we know they have 3D artists since they did some additional assets for Long War, I'd guess they will hire more though as a lot more assets are required for a full game. 2D and 3D art are really different skill sets.

I do think they should not underestimate the cost of producing all the art assets they will need when they launch the kickstarter.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

We're working in Unity. Art style is TBD, we're going to be looking for an art lead to join us soon.
Wargate

Post by Wargate »

This is all very exciting! So Unity...does this mean plans for mobile platform? :P
RedTieGuy

Post by RedTieGuy »

johnnylump wrote:We're working in Unity. Art style is TBD, we're going to be looking for an art lead to join us soon.
Unity is an great platform - although I've only done basic stuff with it. I've seen what the engine is capable of and I'm really excited to see footage of this game.
- The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams -
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

@ Wargate

It's possible. I'm a little worried the UI may have too much going on to work on that kind of platform, but we're not ruling out mobile platforms at this point.
Andor

Post by Andor »

johnnylump wrote:@ Wargate

It's possible. I'm a little worried the UI may have too much going on to work on that kind of platform, but we're not ruling out mobile platforms at this point.
It is one hell of a lot easier to design a UI with tablets in mind and not go there than it is to design a conventional UI and try to adapt it. Like how with Internationalization, it's a hell of a lot easier if you design with it in mind and make calls to an outside text files than if you embed the text in your code.