UFO stats increased

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
Dong101

UFO stats increased

Post by Dong101 »

I am in my first run thru on long war, in normal as recommended ;)

I do read that while aliens troops will max out at some point, UFO will continue to evolve and come to a stage that even Firestorm will be 1 hit by scout.

Question:
1. It is still true in v1.0?
2. If yes, anyway to make it stop at certain point so that at least Firestorm can have fighting chance?

Tq.
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Re: UFO stats increased

Post by szmind »

There are limits to UFOs' improvement. Scout will never deal one-shot-kill to Firestorm. It will need 7-8 hits shooting at 75% accurancy (I assume defensive stance and proper foundry upgrades). That is 10+ seconds. Even Battleship will not one-shot-kill Firestorm with its Fusion Lance. However with my first playthrough on Normal (18 months of game time, finished recently) I never managed to shoot down Battleship/Assault Carrier - though never had good chance like 3 Firestorms with Fusions.

Details (based on Ufopaedia)

Each type of UFO gains +75 HP, +8 damage and +2 aim for every 30 points of Alien Research (roughly 1 month of gametime) to a maximum of 960 points. So at max they gain +256 damage and +64 aim (70-80% hit chance on defensive stance) after approx. 30 months of gametime. Small UFO's would have at max 2 Single Plasmas or 1 Double Plasma onboard, each capable of dealing on average 450+256 damage minus damage reduction. That is on average. So Firestorm with 5000 HP with Plasma/EM will easily deal with it.
Dong101

Post by Dong101 »

Thank you for the info. This mean that I do not have to worry about air war getting totally out of hand. :D

It is ashame that the Ace pilot cannot be transfer to pilot the firestorm. Guess that would make it too OP. It is better to place a fusion lance on your Ace Raven that have over 20+ kills? 30% more aim and 20+% more damage.

Good mod and enjoying the extra challenges.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Your best pilot does transfer to a Firestorm when it is built.

Also, the UFO game upgrade numbers is moddable in DGC.ini.
Dong101

Post by Dong101 »

johnnylump wrote:Your best pilot does transfer to a Firestorm when it is built.

Also, the UFO game upgrade numbers is moddable in DGC.ini.
Nice! Just getting ready to build a Firestorm. Materials is a problem. But hopefully these will get a big jump once I can raid the aliens base.

TQ to the modders for such a great mod.
marceror

Post by marceror »

My Long War game lasted nearly 2 years game time. I managed to shoot down 4 or 5 battleships and had plenty of Firestorms. A great way to get materials is to attack landed Transports. Those missions are incredibly difficult due to the number of aliens you'll have to face, but are well worth the risk in my opinion.

The air game was always challenging but never insurmountable -- though often you have no choice but to let the aliens carry out their missions. But you should eventually be able to give them a run for their money with improved ship weapons/defenses, Firestorms, and when needed, consumables. Stopping a terror mission is incredibly rewarding! Eventually I was able to do this. The fusion lances you obtain by assaulting a downed battleship can make your Firestorms even more powerful.
Dong101

Post by Dong101 »

Just completed a Transport mission. 44 aliens :shock:
Considered there only 51 aliens in the aliens base, I was surprised that I managed to complete the mission. No one die, but 3 cheated death with 1hp left. Cheese out the last few mutons with concealed scout and long range sniper from top of UFO.

Also going to get my first Firestorm in a few days time. But the best weapon I have now is only Laser cannon. Researching the plasma weapon now. Should had reseach the weapon path first, but need to delay due to lack of weapon fragments. Hopefully will be able to turnaround the air war in a month or two.
Stark

Post by Stark »

This has also been worrying me, as I plan to take this playthrough as far as it can possibly go. It's June 22nd 2017 and the UFO's have become quite nasty. I have no clue to how much research the aliens have acquired, but I fear I will not be able to stay relevant in the Air-game for too much longer.

I have 6 fully upgraded Firestorms with Plasma cannons and 10 interceptors- The interceptors are quite useless for anything other than a Scout/Fighter, though this might change if I can outfit them with Plasma. The true struggle at this point is not damage output, but rather survivability, as even my Firestorms can get two-shot by Assault-carriers and Battleships.

I have had control of three continents since the end of the first year. The aliens have had control of 4 countries for pretty much the entire game and have since capped a 5th. I Think now might be a good time to start assaulting those alien bases, though I don't think that will be enough to off-set the damage already done.

If and when I can no longer compete in the air-game, what would be the best conceivable way to make the ultra-late UFO less ... ridiculous ? Is such a thing even possible without affecting the aliens tactical development ?