Questions about Medic and Rocketeer

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
salilsurendran

Questions about Medic and Rocketeer

Post by salilsurendran »

Hello,
I am wondering as to what does the 'Field Surgeon' promotion do in Long War. I thought it reduces the no. of days soldiers have to remain in the hospital once wounded. In my build it says something like "Calculates wounded timer based upon the lowest hit points". Don't know what that means? How does the 'Field Surgeon' work?
Rocketeer seems to be completely useless. Usually if I fire a rocket without the Rocketeer moving it scatters wildly thereby becoming completely ineffective. If I move my Rocketeer to close the range the range of the rocket reduces considerably thereby negating the movement effect. I generally load up my Rocketeer with 2 rockets, a shredder rocket, a assault rifle and Armor thereby reducing the movement points of the Rocketeer by 4. I am guessing I should probably lightly arm and armor the Rocketeer there letting the Rocketeer close the range and thereby reducing the scatter?
Turbo215

Re: Questions about Medic and Rocketeer

Post by Turbo215 »

Field medic means that if a soldier's total health is less than their personal hitpoints then it calculates wounds as if there wounds did one less personal health damage e.g. if a soldier takes 5 damage and they have 5+3 health (the +3 being tac armour and ceramic plate) then injuries would normally be calculated as if they had taken two damge as 8-5=3 and their armour takes 3 points of damage and their health the remaining two so the injury would be calculated as if they had 3 out of 5 health, with field medic this increases as if they had taken 1 less point of damage so the injury would be calculated as if they had 4 points out of 5. This can totally eliminate wounds. With rocketeers personally i steady their weapon and don't move them if i think i might need them soon as even at low levels the rocket has low scatter plus give them laser sights and then scopes asap to improve aim.
codorra

Post by codorra »

Hello!

For Rockets, use steady weapon.
And they can equip SMGs also, makes them mobile and the damage output for those small arms are not that bad.

Field medic reduces wounds beyond armour when recovering.
Not always noticeable, except when the maximum wound beyond armour is 1 point, where it will be negated and the soldier needs to rest only if not injured at all.

If You have someone who had 7 health and suffered 6 wounds, this perks does not do much good, reducing 30 days to 25.
Not a very big deal.
But for flesh wounds, it is very handy.
Also good with Alien Surgery and Adaptive Bone marrow.
A totally wounded soldier can recover within 2-3 weeks (talking about heavy HP people, with 8 basic health and wounds of 7 HPs).
soxford

Post by soxford »

In early game, I mostly use rocketeers as if they were snipers without Snap Shot and squadsight, which sounds kinda lame except that they're so good at cover destruction when you've steadied their aim. Everyone else mops up.

Once you have a MSGT, they're good for "pulling" if you get Javelin Rockets and have a Concealment Scout do his job properly. Concealment Scout finds alien pod but doesn't activate them, then Rocketeer lands a rocket on their heads, then they all take cover while already heavily wounded. Bonus if you play with Red Fog. This gets even more powerful once you get a Blaster Launcher. They way I spec and equip my rocketeers, they have 3 rockets and 2 shredders. Basically the first 5 pods I see and anticipate any trouble killing by other means are asploded before they're aware I'm there.