is this normal in game (2)

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
SamXjones

is this normal in game (2)

Post by SamXjones »

I am currently playing a campaign in Impossible difficulty with Training.ini activated (actually I also made further adjustment so the air game is a lot easier, and alien research is way more slower than default training.ini setting), I come across situations that I have never come across before:
1. I meet my first sectopod in January 2017 (ufopeida: December of year1), and first ethereal in March 2017 (ufopeida: January of year2), both these units make their debut way later then the month declared in ufopedia. So, does manipulating the alien research in .ini also altered the fielding schedule of some alien life form?
2. Since October of year1, I have to fight a base defense mission every 3 months. Up until now (April of year 2) I have experienced total of 3 base defense mission (which I manage to hold my ground with minimal lost) (so I have to defend my base on Oct, 2016, Jan 2017 and Apr 2017). What is wrong with the aliens, or me?
3. usually, right before any base defense mission, alien not only send a very large ship to destroy satilite over my base country, but they will also spwan 2 terror mission back to back, followed it with 3 trap raider landing missions (each containing 40+ aliens per map) (which I managed to pull through all of them, with some critical injuries, lucky me) back to back, and right after base defended, they spawn us a bomb disposal mission waiting my (overworked) team to answer. Is this behavior normal in game?
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Re: is this normal in game (2)

Post by szmind »

This is not normal. This is impossible :)
SamXjones

Post by SamXjones »

szmind wrote:This is not normal. This is impossible :)
I guess you mean 'nothing is impossible on impossible difficulity'? :?:
Last edited by SamXjones on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Post by szmind »

Just a joke :) For mean answers:
1. Alien unit-composition is based on alien research - slower research means poorer aliens.
2. When at start of month aliens have high resources (15 meld per canister) and you made alien base assault OR at least 8 ufo assaults in prior month (large ufo counts as 2) the counter for Alien Retaliation increases by 1. When the counter hits 3 you get Alien Retaliation. So on impossible you are very likely to get it every 3 months if you also do 8 ufo assaults each month (or just 1 alien base assault).
3. Heavy mission load is a result of aliens having high resources. That is normal in game.