is there a way to change name of a class

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
SamXjones

is there a way to change name of a class

Post by SamXjones »

Sorry if my question would bother anyone, but some of the name choices of class in LW1 just troubled me... psychologically and subjectively. For example, I am hesitant to upgrade a male infantry into their MEC class just because, well, as you can see, they will be 'Valkyrie' and I can't quite accept the concept of a 'male Valkyrie'. You may call me sexist or stubborn for this, but I really want to ask if there is a way to 'customise' the class name in the game. Thank you.

P.S. and my choice of word for the new name would be 'Cavalry' or 'Dragoon', as infantry = soldiers marching or fighting on foot, and I see the MEC suit as a kind of vehicle or vessel for that soldier for travelling and fighting in combat situation, 'Cavalry' or 'Dragoon' should make sense to me and they are not that 'gender specific' in my point of view XDDD
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Re: is there a way to change name of a class

Post by szmind »

I can see your point :) And Dragoon or Cavalry is a nice idea. I assume you play in English. You must edit (with Notepad for example) the entry in the file XComStrategyGame.int. The file is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\Localization\INT

That is default path - adjust it to your instalation path.

Search for text: "SoldierClassNames[44]=". That is in line No 2234.

You can find other classes around there also. Feel free to edit this file as you wish - just make a copy if you wish to restore.

Good luck.
SamXjones

Post by SamXjones »

szmind wrote:I can see your point :) And Dragoon or Cavalry is a nice idea. I assume you play in English. You must edit (with Notepad for example) the entry in the file XComStrategyGame.int. The file is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\Localization\INT

You can find other classes around there also. Feel free to edit this file as you wish - just make a copy if you wish to restore.

Good luck.
Thank you, szmind.

There are really many files and folders to explore in XCOM LOL. I really didn't think I can edit those files XDDD

edit: well, I did the change in the folder but it just doesn't work for an existing game, maybe I will have to start a new one for the taste of 'fielding the new class (name)'... and after the change, the class name 'Valkyrie' also lost its class specific colour. Did I just screw up something?Does any think govern the colour of class name shown in barrack page, which I also have to make certain adjustment accordingly?
SamXjones

Post by SamXjones »

SamXjones wrote:
szmind wrote:I can see your point :) And Dragoon or Cavalry is a nice idea. I assume you play in English. You must edit (with Notepad for example) the entry in the file XComStrategyGame.int. The file is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\Localization\INT

Good luck.
Thank you, szmind.

There are really many files and folders to explore in XCOM LOL. I really didn't think I can edit those files XDDD

edit: well, I did the change in the folder but it just doesn't work for an existing game (or the change did not apply to any existing MEC soldier), maybe I will have to start a new one for the taste of 'fielding the new class (name)'... and after the change, the class name 'Valkyrie' also lost its class specific colour. Did I just screw up something?Does any think govern the colour of class name shown in barrack page, which I also have to make certain adjustment accordingly?
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Post by szmind »

Hmm, indeed. I have the same issue - the color resets and the text is not changed. Restoring the class name, restores the color. So probably yes, the change in text will work with new campaign [updated, check edit :)]. But with proper color - cause I play in Polish and have different class names but proper colors.

All this seems weird to me because changes in weapons' descriptions or research reports or menus all do take effect for current game.

Edit: Oh, I get it. I think this will not work for 'current MEC'. But if you 'chop' a new soldier it should be fine. Because once you create a soldier/MEC her/his class name is written in a separate matrix and you cannot edit the matrix. But a new soldier will pick the current class name - and proper color.