Great Mod!!

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
Nunya

Great Mod!!

Post by Nunya »

Since this is an older mod and I'm sure the developers have moved on to XCom 2, I'm not sure if this sub-forum is monitored much or not. I sure the developers have better things to do...like pulling heads off of dolls, or kicking puppies.

Anyway, I have to say that this is one of the best full game modifications I have ever seen.

I have played over 100 battle in Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within and the game was starting to become stale....then I found Long War. This mod was made by some very sick twisted individuals. It is perfect. The immersion is greatly improved and really makes one feel like they are actually in a war to save the earth.

I haven't reached the end game yet with Long War...I was stymied in my first try when the aliens attacked the base. However, I have returned with a vengeance, but this time with a little "warm up" with Dynamic War activated. I can't wait to see what hell the more advanced difficulties put me in.

The mod ranks right up there with the Misery mod for STALKER.
szmind
Long War EU Crew

Re: Great Mod!!

Post by szmind »

Heh, be patient in reaching the end-game in LW. It took me some 400+ hours of gameplay to complete the first LW Campaign on Normal :)
nick_abbott

Post by nick_abbott »

The Long War mod is legendary!

I plan on reinstalling XCOM in the future just to play the Long War mod again.
Nunya

Post by Nunya »

Just a follow up:

I have since completed LW a couple of times with it's original settings. Very fun and challenging mod. I have also completed it a couple of times with added mods. The two mods I mainly use are:

1. No Fatigue (http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/587/?) - While I love the concept of fatigue, I like to have a "personal" relationship with my soldiers. The fatigue function prevented that, as soooo many soldiers are needed in order to progress. Eliminating the fatigue factor changed the game back to needing only a few soldiers that can be used on most missions. It does cause issues with progressing through the Officer Training School, as a accumulation of rank is needed. However, it can be worked through.

2. Celebrity Names (http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/489/?) - For me, this helps me "connect" with my soldiers and remember their deeds. Plus, it is a kick (no pun intended) when you make "Chuck Norris" the assault soldier and he kicks butt. The mod does have some issues with female soldiers with male names and males with female names, but it is easy to work around if needed (dismiss and hire new soldiers).
rift

Post by rift »

Nunya wrote: This mod was made by some very sick twisted individuals. It is perfect.
LOL so true