Thank You

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
Daergar

Thank You

Post by Daergar »

Figured we'd start off with a brand new yet very relevant; thank you very much for version 1.0.

I can smell the blood, sweat and tears (and alien goop) infusing this awesome creation.

Countdown to the Terra kickstarter!
joasoze

Re: Thank You

Post by joasoze »

Yes, a thank you is in order. I look forward to the kickstarter as well
Overwatch

Post by Overwatch »

Thank you indeed. Also interested in the kickstarter.
Limpracy

Post by Limpracy »

I just wanna give a big big thank you to the developers of the long war mod!!! Xcom has been one of my favorite games and as soon as I discovered the long war mod I've not been able to put it down. Keep up the good work guys, this has made a great game unbelievable!!!!
weizhen77

Post by weizhen77 »

Thank you for your continual efforts!
Don't think my laptop can handle XCOM2, will be looking forward to more developments for XCOM1!
klilly

Post by klilly »

Glad to see you are starting this business. Long War is the best strategy game I've ever played, and I will be happy to contribute to you on kickstarter.
Bullett00th

Post by Bullett00th »

Registered solely for this.

Like many others, after trying Long War I can't put it down and can't return to vanilla XCOM.
It took my time, took my sleep and managed to move Heroes of Might and Magic 3 from the top position of my favorite games of all time, which no other game has done in 15 years.
Thank you for this amazing experience!

I wish you the very best of luck with Terra Invicta and will definitely keep a close eye on the product.
Garr_Inc

Post by Garr_Inc »

This has been a long time. I never thought I will play XCOM anymore. Until I heard about this mod.
I remember how I managed to weirdly install it on pirated XCOM EW (it was so bad...).
I remember how I accidently picked harder difficulty and had to assault a base in November (there I had a unit that sat ON a cover and I had to restart, but it was so long ago...)
I remember building my first Plasma Rifle and Firestorm (well, I did it very recently)
And I still remember all "unfair" deaths, hits, misses and all anger about all these challenges...
But this is the point of the mod. It makes game more fair. You are not superior by default. You have to deserve a win.
Huge thanks to all of creators for creating this beauty.
bigrowdy

Post by bigrowdy »

klilly wrote:Glad to see you are starting this business. Long War is the best strategy game I've ever played, and I will be happy to contribute to you on kickstarter.
^This
Sacred Sakura

Post by Sacred Sakura »

I just wanna give you a big big thank you as well, and really wish you all the best for your buisness!
Andor

Post by Andor »

I'll echo the thanks.

I tried going back to Vanilla to prep for X-Com 2. I did. And while I could see Firaxises point that their design is there to increase tension and force hard choices, it felt so damn artificial. There was just no logical in-game reason why I was being forced to make these hard choices. To be sure there is plenty of artificial constraints in LW as well, but they are less blatant, or at least flow better.

Anyway as you've heard countless times, LW is an amazing mod which will be influencing the entire industry for years to come, and I look forward to what's coming next. :)
NinjaJediSmurf

Post by NinjaJediSmurf »

I just want to jump on the 'Thank you' train.

As a fan of the XCOM games of the 90s, I eagerly anticipated the release of XCOM EU. To my surprise it was a great game, unlike many of the supposed XCOM spiritual successors released in the decade before. Although it was pretty and fun to play, it failed to deliver the feeling of menace and sense of impending doom I felt in playing UFO Defence and Terror From the Deep; that sinking feeling when you move your first soldier out of the skyranger into a barrage of enemy fire.

Long War changed all that. It brought peril back into the campaign. I always valued every soldier, but in Long War I treasure them. Every move on the battlefield requires an assessment of risk vs reward. Every research and foundry project competes for attention. This is the XCOM I remember from my childhood and you have recaptured it perfectly.

I recently started a new campaign in anticipation of XCOM 2, and it made me realise that I'm not actually anticipating XCOM 2 very much. All the footage I've seen looks like it will be a repeat of the vanilla EU and EW experience. It's very pretty and will no doubt be fun to play, but the soldier perks and upgrade mechanics look extremely overpowered. It's going to require some major tinkering to create anywhere near the emotional investment I have in my LW campaigns.

So thanks. If you guys were aiming for near infinite replayability, you succeeded. I only play 1 mission per day because I like to spend time with my wife and kids, but I look forward to that mission every single day. I crack open a beer (we have good beer in Australia) and become a tactical god for an hour or so. One of life's simple pleasures.
Gaelden

Post by Gaelden »

I played TFTD a lot when a teen. Loved it.

When XCOM:EU/EW was released, it became the best strategy game I ever played.

When I read about LW, it became the best mod I ever played. Began at beta 9 or 10, don't remember. I still decided to wait untill its full release, because I'm not a big fan of alpha/beta, when I have to start back from the beggining because of a new version. Just checked this morning and saw it was released.
And now I say to you : NO THANK YOU!!!!! What will my life be, now that I HAVE this gem to play. What will my wife and children say, when I have little red eyes in the morning, after going to sleep too late, because of YOU!!!
I HATE TO LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your work. Big big big congratulations.
Grunt

Thank You's cont.

Post by Grunt »

**** One of the Top 5 Mods Ive ever experienced over the last 20 years of computer gaming. ****
The Long War was worth the wait and single-handedly catapulted XCOM:EU into a timeless classic for me. Simply awesome.
Big THANK YOU to crew at LWS for past efforts and future endeavors.
God speed!
Dong101

Post by Dong101 »

Just completed my first play through in long war. This is definitely the best mod for XCOM.

The best part is the easy to change ini file. Made it the mod that you can play it your way.

Next up Ironman..... 8-)
Voskii

Post by Voskii »

My ironman savegame is corrupted and sadly I don't have a backup savegame, guess ill have to start my second play through :P Anyhow just dropped by to say thank you so much for making this game amazing! :D