Flashbang grenades

For general discussion about XCOM: Long War
Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Flashbang grenades

Post by Tanalbi »

Flashbang grenades does not affect allies. Why? They are just common flashbang grenades.

Unless... they were some type of new flashbang grenades that only affect the aliens' cornea. Yeah, that could work!

And... i am not complaining, i just wanted to know if Johnny had a good reason to not to implement human-harmful flashbang grenaes.
"The prefect true curves of a woman are her smile"
Schweineschnute

Re: Flashbang grenades

Post by Schweineschnute »

They don't? Never noticed that :D
Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Post by Tanalbi »

Seriously, these are normal flashbang grenades, the same as in Counter Strike. Ergo, they should disorient humans too.

Which takes me to... why EXALT soldiers can be disoriented too and XCOM soldiers do not? Weird, they are aliens! O.O
jgbaxter

Post by jgbaxter »

Xcom uses special light filtering contact lenses that are coded to match the random light pattern of the flash bangs that are only set when activated, same thing for the special ear protection.

Clearly.

;)
Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Post by Tanalbi »

That makes quite sense, if only there was an in-game explanation.

Hmmm, i think i am gonna add it for Final 1.1 on my translation, hope english does the same too (And also Johnny is also reading this).
jgbaxter

Post by jgbaxter »

Having been exposed to flash bangs in the army, I know that it makes sense to affect the soldiers as well, there is also however a reasonable reduction in effect to a soldier as they are likely to be prepared (more or less).

Still, I'd check out the mini mod if you made it. :)
Schweineschnute

Post by Schweineschnute »

What kind of impact are we talking about, though?

do you mean X-Com operatives cannot be flashbanged, even if directly hit with a bang via friendly fire or do you just wonder why they don't get blinded themselves when they throw it at a distant enemy? The latter is easily explained with either helmet/shades protecting (quite a few helmet and/or goggle options to choose from in customization) or they simply turn their heads away after throwing the grenade. The bang as a clearly defined AoE, after all.
Tanalbi
Long War EU Crew

Post by Tanalbi »

Yeah, jgbaxter's explanation makes more sense since we're speaking about an international paramilitary organization with the best of it's planet's technology, turning their heads will only cover them from the flash, but not from the intense BANG that could probably burnbs their ears.

But yours is also good too!
codorra

Post by codorra »

Nogateno:
Not just that, they could open their mouth also, no high tech needed.
Just think of it.
If You were abosultely suprised hit with a flash-bang you would recover within 2 turns.
So, I guess, not much protection would be neccessary to counter it.