Changing Course Mid-Transit

MrTimn

Changing Course Mid-Transit

Post by MrTimn »

Is there a way to modify or change course in the middle of a transit? I set a slowboat, minimal delta-v transit from LEO to a station in high lunar orbit and shortly after I detected an alien fleet heading for the station. That fleet would get there considerably sooner than my fleet, so I wanted to modify their transit (or set a new one) that would get me there ahead of the aliens. The fleet should have had enough delta-v for such a maneuver, but it seems that fleets cannot be given orders once in transit as all of the options are greyed out.

Is this a limitation of the way the game calculates transits like only able to handle calculating from pre-determined orbits? Or is this a gameplay decision?

Either way, I hope the ability to use delta-v mid transit in order to change the existing transit or to target a different end-point can be implemented. One key aspect of realistic space combat is that as long as there is enough delta-v, a fleet could always change its course. You might be able to predict the destination of a current trajectory but that is subject to change, making positioning of your own forces very difficult when facing a foe with lots of delta-v to spare.