this is awesome!

Forum to support developing of community project to update Long War 2 to work with the War of the Chosen expansion.
kadrick

this is awesome!

Post by kadrick »

I'm very glad to hear that this project has been taken up. Long War 2 was fantastic. Thank you to everyone currently working on this.

Just curious though, are there any aspects of LW2 that may not be compatible with the new features of WotC? Does the team currently have things in mind that may need to be changed or left out entirely?

One more question, and I don't want to seem greedy, but are there any plans to add new abilities to the hero class trees?

Greatly looking forward to this mod!
CreekBed

Re: this is awesome!

Post by CreekBed »

Im not even sure this is being worked on, to make matters worse there is an incoming dlc (possibly) which will break the compatibility again.
evan466

Post by evan466 »

Unless the new DLC is another standalone thing, which I don't think it is, I wouldn't worry too much about it's impact on LWotC.
cryptc

Post by cryptc »

The guys on the discord seem to be actively working on the mod, and I'm pretty sure they'll have to make some hard choices on how to implement LW2 mechanics (infiltration combined with fatigue mechanic doesn't seem like a good combination to me for instance... hopefully they will use fatigue only on covert missions or something)

I did ask and they have said that when they have nailed down the basic mechanics they intend to use for the mod they will post it so people can prepare for what the mod is becoming. I wouldn't expect anything coming out soon though, I'd expect a year until any likelihood of the mod being completed.
dethraker

Post by dethraker »

There's a github for LWotC where you can see when they're working on stuff actively. They usually have at least one person working on things pretty regularly lately which is nice, but they don't share much which is very disappointing since this was labeled a community thing. Seems like they're going more for the Pavonis approach with keeping things in-house rather than an open to everyone effort.

Even so I do know they have some talented members so hopefully they will continue making progress.
cryptc

Post by cryptc »

dethraker wrote: but they don't share much which is very disappointing since this was labeled a community thing.
Meh, the thing is that sharing constantly has two large downsides: 1. it's a lot of work 2. it's problematic when you change your mind on how to solve something after you've already posted large notes on how you intended doing it.

Having worked on large modding projects myself in the past, I think it's a good thing to have a team with a vision just doing their thing, and asking for feedback when they need feedback (they have questionnaires they link in discord), and tell us progress updates when they have reached some significant milestone. They aren't doing a kickstarter trying to make sure they aren't pissing off their backers, they are just x-com fans trying to create a mod they themselves would love to play.

If you really want more information and be more closely involved, I would suggest going to them and ask to join their team, I'm sure they can use all the help they can get, and you'll get your wish of getting more frequent updates on what is going on.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

cryptc, thank you for delivering the counter-argument in a polite manner. Software engineering (i.e. more than just modding or game development) as a whole is plagued by entitled laymen who don't know how much harm they are doing to the project. A "community thing" means unpaid developers who deserve to be protected from "I can't or won't do any work but I have lots of ideas and enthusiasm" harassment. How else will the project retain developers if it can't even offer that in lieu of money?
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
dethraker

Post by dethraker »

cryptc wrote:If you really want more information and be more closely involved, I would suggest going to them and ask to join their team, I'm sure they can use all the help they can get, and you'll get your wish of getting more frequent updates on what is going on.
I was more directly involved and that's how I'm aware of the github. I have no desire to work on things in the style in which they want to and keep everything so much behind closed doors, I liked the way things worked with Long War 1 before Pavonis when WGhost and dozens of others all worked together openly to make that wonderful masterpiece.

That's my personal stance and why I chose to not continue working with the team, there's some good talent on the team though and I told them I hoped they made good progress. Still doesn't change that they had something months ago that they could have put on the workshop and just continuously released patches for giving it the same essence of Long War 1, though I'm glad they did finally get the perk pack up at least. They want to go for more polished and I respect that, just don't agree with it.

The common argument is that, "Someone will steal the work". Sure, but it's a mod and open source anyway, someone is going to take it and change it and make it their own if they have the drive to do so. If you're afraid that someone is going to steal your work and get LWotC done before your "team" then you don't have much faith in your team. At least that is my counter, to that argument. Everyone makes their own decisions I just hope they are still making progress on the project.
cryptc

Post by cryptc »

True enough, all these points I agree with.

Still, can only hope that the final product becomes good.