Community Where?

Forum to support developing of community project to update Long War 2 to work with the War of the Chosen expansion.
T-Strike95

Community Where?

Post by T-Strike95 »

So I know this has been stated to be a "Community Adaptation" but I fail to see how this is community by any means, there's a discord server and a team that doesn't share anything at all really. Supposedly work has been done that could be shared but the "team" seems to want to keep everything internal unless it is more or less polished. So this isn't a PI thing and it's not a Community thing either, but it's still very much hush hush as if PI were the ones working on it.

Now comes the question. What's to stop anyone else from working on a true "Community Adaptation" akin to what was experienced with LW1 back in the Dark Ages before modding support from Firaxis?

I mean are we just to assume that this is going to be "the true long war experience" when no one from PI, no one from the LW1 days, and none of the big modders from X2 are even participating? I mean are you even intending to make a Long War mod or just your own mod that you want to use the LW name to gain popularity for? Sure there needs to be some internal discussion to keep things organized, but it would benefit the project more to share things and release common test versions the way it was done with LW1. No one expects the perfect iteration with version a0.01 and if they do then you don't really need to listen to them.

I doubt JL and the rest care who is working on the community adaptation since they have already said it has nothing to do with PI.
ADVENTBurgers

Re: Community Where?

Post by ADVENTBurgers »

1. "I fail to see how this is community by any means." You're part of it, right now, as you type that to try and reach *THE* community. This is the community. Do you need physical contact and eye to eye too? (I know what you meant;) This subforum and the Discord is a way for any and everyone who can provide insight, technical and modding assistance, debugging or even suggestions and advice to provide it and get connected to the minds behind the mod.

2. "[...] but the "team" seems to want to keep everything internal unless it is more or less polished." Yes, because having all the files uploaded and available is an easy way to get your material and work stolen. The roadmap is online, and it has been 2 months since the original post, the mod is probably at the end stages of planning and establishment of main ideas.

3. " What's to stop anyone else from working on a true "Community Adaptation" akin to what was experienced with LW1" Because of the call-to-action and creation of this community. Have you ever modded your own voice pack into XCOM 2? Do you know how long it takes to mod out an entire unit from a level? Like the War, it's a Long and Gruesome trek. And if you're trying to make something like LW2 WITHOUT The help of Firaxis THAT ALSO INCLUDES THE MANY MECHANIC CHANGING AND SOLDIER UPDATED events from WotC? Buckle up boy, it's gonna be one helluva ride.

4. "I mean are we just to assume that this is going to be "the true long war experience"" ..... You serious? You know most, if not all of the current developers of LWotC have played LW2. You do realize the "community" you don't believe exists, exists for the sole purpose of making LWotC a TRUE Long War game.

5."but it would benefit the project more to share things and release common test versions the way it was done with LW1" Maybe you could join the dev team and create something like that. It was 2 months ago before this community even happened, it's a bunch of unpaid modders who LOVE XCOM LW2 that are porting/modelling/coding the mechanics and classes, I don't think they have the time to make promotional videos about how it's going.

Come down doggie, these people are just people, spending their free time to make something great. Use a little bit of reasoning and be a little more calm about things, and posts like these will become less frequent for you.
>Overwatch Sentinel
>Miss Both ADVENT Troopers with 68%
>Crit By ADVENT Officer in Full cover.

X-COM Baby!
The13Inquisitor

Post by The13Inquisitor »

Well that would explain why this place is relatively quiet right now if everyone is busy working on the mod.

I guess it's mostly down to the Discord being more active than the sub-forum.

Personally, I'm on a laptop and I've got no idea how to code so I'm just waiting for this to hit a stage where play\bug testing starts up. I want to help but I don't want to slow down someone who actually knows what they're doing in the process, basically.

So far as suggestions and discussion goes on features and the like, I'm honestly kind of surprised this sub-forum isn't more active in that regard. I suppose it comes back to Discord being more convenient.

That being said, an occasional status update would be nice, though if there's nothing to say or people are too busy, fair enough.
dethraker

Post by dethraker »

Lmao AdventBurgers. Someone comes in to ask a question and gets a response from someone that doesn't sound like they have anything to do with the project and further gets attacked for asking why the project isn't more open?

In response to your #3 I have in fact modded several things myself and in modding there aren't high expectations to have a perfect model right from the start. So the amount of time to make the "final product" doesn't matter, especially if something is supposed to be based around community interaction, also to #2...really? Stealing files...yea that's gonna happen but I can guarantee if anyone does "steal" things from LWotC it's just gonna be to make their own interpretation not to try and make their own "Long War". In fact the LWotC team is currently "stealing" all the code from PI's mods and the mods of other people on the Workshop currently so your #2 is so ridiculous lol.

I personally see no reason why others can't pick up the reigns and start working on their own community adaptation of Long War for War of the Chosen and keep things more open than the LWotC team currently is. In the modding world there's just no reason for it. All the big modders for XCom 2 share their stuff regularly, all it takes is a few screenshots, no need for "promotional videos" in the modding community...lmao on that one too. LW2 was different, PI had restrictions placed on them due to being under a paid contract, the LWotC team is under no such contract, no reason they can't just work openly like the rest of the community.

It sounds to me that you are the one that needs to calm down though, jumping to defend the LWotC team even though you have nothing to do with them and also have no idea what they are or are not doing.