Updating regular LW2

Forum to support developing of community project to update Long War 2 to work with the War of the Chosen expansion.
DjAci

Updating regular LW2

Post by DjAci »

Hi,

I am sooo hyped that the community has take over the LW2 reins and will keep the majestic legacy of LW keep on.

That being said I wanted to ask if there will be any plans to provide as community patch for the vanilla LW2 as WOTC version is developed. LIke a balance pass and similar?
Psieye

Re: Updating regular LW2

Post by Psieye »

From what I've read on reddit, vanilla XCOM 2 and WotC are pretty much completely different code bases. There is no "port a change over from one to the other" without completely re-coding it.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
John Luke Pack Hard

Post by John Luke Pack Hard »

Cursory analysis of WotC shows that in some cases, there are only small refactoring of codes, while in other cases there is massive restructuring of code to implement new systems such as soldier bonds.

Regular LW2 is still the prerogative of Pavonis Interactive. It's on them to update and balance it, unless they were to hand the responsibility to the LWotC community team, but I don't know if we'd want to take on the burden of that *and* build LWotC at the same time.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Side note: adding a mod on top of (vanilla) LW2 is perfectly ok. Probably not what OP meant but it's an option if someone really wants to tweak the balance further. Commander's Choice and Peek from Concealment have some impact on balance and are frequently used.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

We all use them. Battle rifle. Spark overhaul. Make psi ops great again.
Battle rifle should be in Lwotc. Smooth scrolling?
The Preacher
John Luke Pack Hard

SonnyWiFiHr wrote:We all use them. Battle rifle. Spark overhaul. Make psi ops great again.
Battle rifle should be in Lwotc. Smooth scrolling?
The LWotC Weapon Pack is on schedule for release in the near-future. You'll see what weapons we intend to include once it is released.
Skarlightcrimson

Post by Skarlightcrimson »

I guess I'm confused on the development? I thought I read that Pavonis did release it to the community, as it's technically 2ks product that they were commissioned to make for 2k, so wouldn't you have the right to handle the code in that aspect?

Also I'm a fan of epigenetics :).
John Luke Pack Hard

Skarlightcrimson wrote:I guess I'm confused on the development? I thought I read that Pavonis did release it to the community, as it's technically 2ks product that they were commissioned to make for 2k, so wouldn't you have the right to handle the code in that aspect?

Also I'm a fan of epigenetics :).
It's still their product under their account. We can mod it but we can't change the internal aspects unless we were to release an entirely new mod. I don't favor that approach.