How to support?

Forum to support developing of community project to update Long War 2 to work with the War of the Chosen expansion.
Hieronymus

How to support?

Post by Hieronymus »

As a long time X-Com player, I need Long War. It's too good not to have, and it is probably the biggest disappointment this year that PI can't make it happen. I don't care how it's done, but it needs to be done. All I have is experience with the game and this excellent mod. Some expendable income, but no skills to offer help with actual work.

So my question is, how can the regular Joe like me support the port of this mod?
Tombet

Re: How to support?

Post by Tombet »

If they really make a Wotc addaption with Long War 2, take my money!

Make Patreon or so then we others can support you with money.

I think i'm not alone with this idea.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Tombet wrote:take my money!
By legal contract, denied. Welcome to the world of modding.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
John Luke Pack Hard

Post by John Luke Pack Hard »

I'm afraid PsyEye is right. Legally we aren't allowed to take money for services and we can't crowdfund without Firaxis's approval.

I think what johnnylump said to me sort of has a loophole allowing donations in support of modders, but it absolutely cannot be a material exchange for a service relating to 2K's intellectual property.

That being said, if you have time but not money, feel free to apply to our discord to participate in Alpha/Beta testing. We have several modules ready to go.
Skarlightcrimson

Post by Skarlightcrimson »

I typically use all my downtime doing gaming. I'm not an experienced beta/alpha tester, but I'm of course happy to learn, and I'm happy to contribute when I have the time. What is the discord channel if it's open to anyone?
LuckyBZ

Post by LuckyBZ »

Skarlightcrimson wrote:I typically use all my downtime doing gaming. I'm not an experienced beta/alpha tester, but I'm of course happy to learn, and I'm happy to contribute when I have the time. What is the discord channel if it's open to anyone?
The same. I wanna help too. I can help translate game on my language.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

loophole allowing donations in support of modders
I believe (and I haven't read the letter of the law) that 'gifting' money to someone with no expectation or obligation of anything in return is perfectly legal. A frequent misunderstanding people have on Kickstarter et al.: "I'm buying something". No, there's a big difference between 'investing' and 'purchasing'. If enough people want to give money while swearing "I have no right to complain if you guys don't deliver anything", then maybe there's grounds for setting up a Patreon account or something.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
Skarlightcrimson

Post by Skarlightcrimson »

I think a patreon and volunteer work would be awesome. I've seen other small modders have patreons up (looking at RW mods) and I haven't seen or noticed any reprimand of any kind from anyone. Just that it is what it is.