RestartLevel is not working properly

said46

RestartLevel is not working properly

Post by said46 »

Every time I restart a level using either a menu item or a console command my soldiers have no actions available. Every single time.
Alketi

Re: RestartLevel is not working properly

Post by Alketi »

Not sure if related, but I had a crash during a mission (playing Ironman). I reloaded whatever the auto-save was, and my Shinobi lost a number of his abilities, including grapple, ghostwalker, both grenades disappeared, and he was unable to pick up a fallen soldier. He could still shoot/overwatch/Conceal. First time I've ever lost abilities on one of my soldiers. No amount of saving/reloading would bring them back.
jamm

Post by jamm »

It happened to me as well, but only on retaliation missions. I play Bronzeman Ironman, and i think it happens only to the units that start on the Firebrand evacuation tiles. My shinobi was able to move after restart (as she started outside of evacuation tiles) and do whtever shinobi does, but all the other guys were just standing and watching advent kill civilians during first round.
Chasm

Post by Chasm »

jamm wrote:It happened to me as well, but only on retaliation missions. I play Bronzeman Ironman, and i think it happens only to the units that start on the Firebrand evacuation tiles. My shinobi was able to move after restart (as she started outside of evacuation tiles) and do whtever shinobi does, but all the other guys were just standing and watching advent kill civilians during first round.
I can confirm this happens if they start on the evacuation tiles dont know what a bronzeman player could do everyone else can just load the first autosave as this works.
aklos

Post by aklos »

If a save file is necessary, this duplicate report has one: http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... 17&t=25555
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

I can repro this problem and I know the problem. Working on a solution for 1.3. This might just involve moving the evac zone slightly on those missions where you start on top of it, because we don't have a lot of mod control over the behavior of the restart mission command.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

This one is kind of fascinating. The no action points on restart when you are on a mission where you spawn on the evac zone just exposed the pre-existing bug, it isn't the bug itself. It's actually all the restart missions on maps where you don't start on an evac zone that are bugged, but most of the time you can't tell.

Turns out that it never awards you any action points on a restart. On missions where you don't start on an evac zone, the game notices you have no actions and gives the aliens a free turn, then your turn starts and you get action points. This happens very early and in a way that you can't really tell that's what happened unless you look in the debug info - it doesn't bring up the alien activity UI and it won't adjust the mission timers. So in most circumstances the worst that can happen is the aliens start slightly offset from where they were the first time because they got a free turn of movement. This doesn't happen when you spawn on an evac tile because even though you have no action points it doesn't auto-end your turn because you have evac actions available that don't cost an action point. The restart mission was only ever enabled in vanilla on a couple of specific mission types you aren't allowed to lose without losing the campaign, and no vanilla missions had you start on a true evac tile (avenger defense zones are different), so it wasn't as noticeable. Plus with the smaller alien counts you were a lot less likely to activate on the first turn after a restart.

I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to figure out if this free alien turn could ever be observable, including restarting on a mission where a pod activated right from the first turn, and it didn't look like it actually made a difference, so I was ready to just shift the evac zones so you don't spawn right on top of them as a quick and dirty workaround. But as soon as I did that my very first test on a terror mission worked great on the first load into the mission and then a pod activated on their "free move" on restart. What's weird is that I haven't seen any reports of this buggy behavior on restarts when you don't start on an evac tile. Has anyone seen that?

At any rate, I'm going to have to fix it properly so that it doesn't give the aliens a free turn, which should have the side effect of fixing the evac problem too.

EDIT: Fixed. Will be in 1.3.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

tracktwo wrote: I spent a lot of time yesterday trying to figure out if this free alien turn could ever be observable, including restarting on a mission where a pod activated right from the first turn, and it didn't look like it actually made a difference, so I was ready to just shift the evac zones so you don't spawn right on top of them as a quick and dirty workaround. But as soon as I did that my very first test on a terror mission worked great on the first load into the mission and then a pod activated on their "free move" on restart. What's weird is that I haven't seen any reports of this buggy behavior on restarts when you don't start on an evac tile. Has anyone seen that?
I only noticed this now sorry. I had an Intel Raid mission in my very first run where aliens activated on Yellow alert before my first turn and killed my Adviser and someone just recently reported a squadwipe in a Recruit Raid because of "T0" Yellow alert actions.

I don't know if it's related. As far as i remember i had this issue on the first attempt (and subsequently on restarts) but it was back with LW2 1.0 and i didn't keep a save at that time.
Maybe Severian have a save available. I already suggesting he reports a bug if he has but i'll point him to this thread in case those issues are related.
Severian

Post by Severian »

Sorry, I didn't keep a save. It was in an Ironman game but with Bronzeman enabled, so I just restarted the mission (after losing most of the squad). I have occasionally seen the bug where if I restart I don't get any moves on the first turn, but in this case, I hadn't restarted before it happened. I don't think I had any missed moves after the (near) wipe but every xcom trooper was panicked so it is hard to tell. I am using quite a lot of mods too, so it could have been one of them.

Something else weird occurs to me though. I was under the impression that a bronzeman restart spawned the aliens in the same place every time. This clearly wasn't true in this case since the alien pod didn't trigger on the 0th turn of the restart.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Thanks. I think the non-restart T0 actions are different, and just fall out of the case where a pod spawns in LoS of your squad or rebels and immediately activates. On the various retaliation and mini-retaliation missions all enemies start in yellow alert, so they can take reflex actions off that very first activation, so that's a different bug from this one.

As far as the aliens not spawning in the same place, I'm not sure what happened there. A restart level is basically a load of a form of autosave of the mission made very, very early, before you get control of the soldiers and before even the mission script begins running. But this should be after all the aliens are spawned. One difference that can account for it is that the rebels LW2 spawns are placed *after* this restart level "save" is made. There is the well known random seed effect of saving/loading in XCOM where if you make a save and perform some actions, then reload and perform exactly the same set of actions, you won't necessarily get the same results. But you will get exactly the same results every time you load that save. This could be related to that - the rebels got placed one way in your first playthrough, and then placed slightly differently, just out of LoS on the restart. Every restart after that should also place them in exactly the same place as the first restart.