Bug with Shen's Last Gift and PoI's.

Highwayleopard

Bug with Shen's Last Gift and PoI's.

Post by Highwayleopard »

Hey there! I just posted a reddit thread about a bug I encountered, when I was redirected here. So, enjoy this weird one.

EDIT: Forgot the info required. Derp.

1.1, PC.
Circumstances/pics in body
Mods Enabled:
A bunch of cosmetic mods. Additional Mission Types LW2 Edition, as well as some map packs.

First off, I had to wait a very long time for the investigation point to pop; it was august and I had liberated a second region before it had even shown itself, which was weird. Regardless, though, that doesn't matter too much I think. I breezed the mission. Got the SPARK. Regardless, I just did a mission that gave an intel package, giving me a PoI. The problem is, the PoI it gave was .. Shen's Last Gift again?
As proof, here's two screens. You can see my psi trooper training on the strat map, and her training in the armoury.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... E521EDAF5/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... FA1BFDFD2/

Can I actually go on this mission? Will it royally bug out my campaign if I do? Are all PoI's just going to be Shen giving me freebies behind the shed now? Will I create a time paradox if I send SPARK to find SPARK, especially if I use the Julian Voice? :(
moroniccinamun

Re: Bug with Shen's Last Gift and PoI's.

Post by moroniccinamun »

Oh boy, I was just about to make a report about this.

I have no other mods installed, I too got 2 Lost Towers: I thought it had something to do with me investigating the first but not actually doing the mission (was waiting for my Vet's to get back)

Also, the lateness I believe is intended with latest update.
Zyrrashijn

Post by Zyrrashijn »

I guess it's a version conflict. You got the POI while on 1.0 and then the appearance date was changed and it came up again. I have a lost tower sitting on my geoscape since pre-1.1, will see what happens.
moroniccinamun

Post by moroniccinamun »

Zyrrashijn wrote:I guess it's a version conflict. You got the POI while on 1.0 and then the appearance date was changed and it came up again. I have a lost tower sitting on my geoscape since pre-1.1, will see what happens.
I can confirm that did not happen as I started a new game the second 1.1 came out, namely because of the SPARK changes and appearing later made me feel having one as early as I did would be kind of cheaty.
Zyrrashijn

Post by Zyrrashijn »

So much for this theory, then. :cry:
Dalanfox

Post by Dalanfox »

This also happened to me in my current campaign. Started the campaign fresh in 1.1 and was offered to do the Last Gift narrative mission twice.
Highwayleopard

Post by Highwayleopard »

I myself did start this campaign on 1.0 I believe. But I did not get particularly far, and I did LG on 1.1.

Still, that's apparently not the cause.
Menas The Lock

Post by Menas The Lock »

I also received a second Lost Towers, and have yet to receive the Alien Nest.
Daergar

Post by Daergar »

Just chiming in, version 1.1, fresh campaign.

Also got a second Shen's Last Gift PoI after a mission.

I assume it doesn't go away? Is it safe to run a second time or will that break the fabric of space and time? ;)
moroniccinamun

Post by moroniccinamun »

Daergar wrote:Just chiming in, version 1.1, fresh campaign.

Also got a second Shen's Last Gift PoI after a mission.

I assume it doesn't go away? Is it safe to run a second time or will that break the fabric of space and time? ;)
I did it without problem (actually brought first Spark!) and ended up with 2 sparks lol
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

Yrrrrrgggg... This one may take some trickery to fix.

The problem is that the POI for a mission is generated when the mission is generated. For LW2, that means before the infiltration is started. However, with the way the DLC is set up, there was the assumption implicitly made that missions are "one at a time". One mission spawns, players goes on it, mission ends, back to geoscape, wait some time, then next mission spawns.

However, in the LW2 scenario where there can be more than one mission at a time (each of which can generate a POI), the DLC POI replacement code can end up replacing multiple POIs with the Lost Tower POI. Since we can't mod the DLC scripts, we may just have to circumvent them and manually insert the DLC POIs if we detect that they are running (and the narrative content is activated).
TerribleName

Post by TerribleName »

Could you not just set the PoI to pop on their own without being triggered by a mission on given dates? If you enable narrative content SLG gates SPARKs and Alien Nest gates the rulers. If both are tied to RNG you end up with the possibility of going an entire campaign without being able to access the DLC content. Just remove the RNG component, it doesnt really serve a purpose.

That or put a big warning sticker somewhere that trying to experience the narrative content might potentially lock you out of said content if the dice don't like you.
moroniccinamun

Post by moroniccinamun »

I can provide screenshots, but after doing two of these missions and thus getting 2 sparks, I now have a third one appear.

Something is certainly very wrong
Drago6667

Post by Drago6667 »

I now have 2 lost tower missions active at once, and that is after i already did it once.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Could you not just set the PoI to pop on their own without being triggered by a mission on given dates? If you enable narrative content SLG gates SPARKs and Alien Nest gates the rulers. If both are tied to RNG you end up with the possibility of going an entire campaign without being able to access the DLC content. Just remove the RNG component, it doesnt really serve a purpose.
I second this notion. I understand in the 1.2 notes you guys are allowing the DLC pois to show up earlier, but that doesn't fix the basic issue I'm having now which is I'm rarely getting "intel package" rewards and even when I do them I keep getting facility leads. You need to take the RNG off the DLC content.
marceror

Post by marceror »

Hmm, I was just perusing wondering why I just destroyed a blacksite in the New Artic, only to realize I have another mission there to do exactly the same thing. It seems I can go on the mission again, but I don't expect to get any Avatar reduction as this region isn't generating any avatar points (though perhaps it could again over time?)

I'm guessing this is a separate manifestation of the same bug?
Gavor

Post by Gavor »

It's Nov in my game and just got 3rd Shen's last gift PoI. Completed the first two.. a few months ago I think and just got the third.

Fresh 1.1 campaign.
bardmaster

Post by bardmaster »

I have completed the tower mission three times now and have three SPARKS. Plus I armed everybody with AP lasers which just cut through all those dumb robots so I eventually had a pile in the first room to rack up some XP! ;)

But I am getting a bit tired of it and hope there is a fix so I can move on to the viper's nest etc.
Kharneth

Post by Kharneth »

I actually have lost towers complete, another POI scanned with the mission ready (because i'm stupid and didn't realized it was lost tower again :D ) and a third POI without scanning.

I bet the reason if a lost tower POI spawns every time i have the Sparks infiltrating and obtain another POI reward, somehow the game thinks i don't have the mission because i "haven't got" any spark live or dead.

If I'm true a workaround is complete the mission then, build, complete a second mission or use the console, to obtain a spark and have it forever in the barracks :?

I'll try it and post the result
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Please let us know what you are seeing with 1.2.
evilbend0r

Post by evilbend0r »

Last Night it popped up for me also a second time.

Already using 1.2 with cosmetic mods on Win 7. Could Investigate the 2 days ordinary and could start Mission and also send my first Spark with the suqad. Can upload a picture of squad selection when i'm at home from work.

First mission popped up in East Europe - second now in South America.

If you want any more infos please tell me - i dont have that much experience with bug reports, sorry.
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

I guess i might have accidentally determined what causes multiple DLC/POIs to be allowed simultaneously on the GeoScape.

It's the timing scripts that hook to any randomizing attempt(s) when a "LostTower" or "Nest" or both have already been scanned and are ready to be played off -- sooooo, their post-triggered "Decline" (for now) function must not be stacked into the proper History/Toggle state.

When the engine is spooling a new set of possible POIs.. there's a slight chance the "Declined" states (of both DLC instances) are mis-interpreted as a pre-scan cycle task rather than pending missions -- as indicated through the Events flow bar & idling activated Icons.
Steele

Post by Steele »

Just wanted to chime in and say I am now on my 3rd "Shen's Gift" mission, with no "Alien Nest" mission appearing at all.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

This bug is fixed for 1.3. Existing campaigns that upgrade to 1.3 may still see the DLC missions spawn again, but new campaigns should see them only once. The problem here was base XCOM2 had no way to re-use points of interest once they had appeared. With a shorter campaign that was fine, but with the longer LW2 campaign that meant you'd exhaust the pool of POIs and no more would spawn, so we implemented a system to allow re-use. Unfortunately it allowed the DLC POIs to be reused when they should not have been.
stevemoonpig

Post by stevemoonpig »

Does the fix also fix the problem where you never seem to get POIs at all for Intel Package missions sometimes (seemingly after doing Lost Towers mission) or is that separate?