Squad is no longer usable

cryptc

Re: Squad is no longer usable

Post by cryptc »

Also having same problem, might have had playable aliens installed sometime in past but not for a long time in any case. Also tried regenerating ini's.

Possibly related, I was trying to set an advisor for my initial haven and couldn't pick anyone from my initial mission, I went to remove them from their squad in squad management view, but after I removed them from the squad 5 of them were still in the squad and not selectable as advisor. After a lot of fiddling back and forth, adding new members to the squad, removing everyone, etc I managed to get all selectable as advisor, but I'm not entirely sure what I did that solved that part.

After I did my next mission that whole team got stuck infiltrating after it was done (and I did that with time left on the mission timer as well, although not sure exactly how much, I had over 100% but it was like an 8d timer)

Running a lot of mods, but apart from purely cosmetic ones the rest have been confirmed to work for LW2.
cryptc

Post by cryptc »

Also possibly relevant, I just don't know how squards work yet, but I notice that I have soldiers that are on multiple squads (infiltrating status on both squads), not sure if that's just a feature or a bug.

Edit: they are only actually on the newest squad though, when I go to edit squad screen the other squad (from initial mission) has no soldiers. The most recent squad has the soldiers from the latest mission and have remove greyed out on squad edit screen.
cryptc

Post by cryptc »

No idea if it's in anyway useful but I tried uploading the save: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/733 ... /save7.zip
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

Error.
Last edited by Valaska on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valaska

Re: Squad is no longer usable (Repro)

Post by Valaska »

Amineri wrote:
ByDesign wrote:The repro for this is fairly simple.

Have a mission with less time remaining then it would take for the sky ranger to deliver the squad to it.

In this way the mission times out while the squad is in transit.

I was able to reproduce the issue with a mission that had 0 Days, 0 hours left on it and accidently sent a 10 man squad to clean it up.

This squad always becomes stuck in limbo for me.
I've been trying to reproduce this as described (using development build), and am unable to replicate the behavior. I have an infiltration-type mission with 0d 0h displayed remaining. Some experimentation indicates it is around 10 minutes in-game.

Start to infiltrate the mission, select squad of 6 soldiers, Skyranger flies out. Upon arrival get the "Start Infiltration" and "Abort Infiltration" options. Upon clicking "Start Infiltration", immediately get the "Must Launch or Abort" popup indicating that I have to start the mission or abort it. I click accept, enter the mission. After completing mission (I used \KillAllAIs to skip through it quickly) the Skyranger returns to Avenger, and squad is available as usual.

Sooo... I need more specific details about the steps people are taking which differ from what I described above. It's possible this was fixed as a side effect of other changes in patch 1.1, so we'll be doing more testing internally as well.
I can confirm its exactly as ByDesign stated, you didn't really replicate the issue though because if the time runs out before the avenger gets there is the thing, you shouldn't get the option to abort or take the mission... This has happened to me twice now on 0:0:0 missions... I have 18 troops stuck in limbo now because of it, which unfortunately has killed me campaign now...

We need a debug to pull things out of infiltration like a debug to remove wounded or such =/. Might be a hamfisted wrecking ball method, but works.
StrikeQ

Post by StrikeQ »

Valaska wrote:
Amineri wrote:

Have a mission with less time remaining then it would take for the sky ranger to deliver the squad to it.

I was able to reproduce the issue with a mission that had 0 Days, 0 hours left on it and accidently sent a 10 man squad to clean it up.

I've been trying to reproduce this as described (using development build), and am unable to replicate the behavior. I have an infiltration-type mission with 0d 0h displayed remaining. Some experimentation indicates it is around 10 minutes in-game.

Start to infiltrate the mission, select squad of 6 soldiers, Skyranger flies out. Upon arrival get the "Start Infiltration" and "Abort Infiltration" options. Upon clicking "Start Infiltration", immediately get the "Must Launch or Abort" popup indicating that I have to start the mission or abort it. I click accept, enter the mission. After completing mission (I used \KillAllAIs to skip through it quickly) the Skyranger returns to Avenger, and squad is available as usual.

Sooo... I need more specific details about the steps people are taking which differ from what I described above. It's possible this was fixed as a side effect of other changes in patch 1.1, so we'll be doing more testing internally as well.
I can confirm its exactly as ByDesign stated, you didn't really replicate the issue though because if the time runs out before the avenger gets there is the thing, you shouldn't get the option to abort or take the mission... This has happened to me twice now on 0:0:0 missions... I have 18 troops stuck in limbo now because of it, which unfortunately has killed me campaign now...

We need a debug to pull things out of infiltration like a debug to remove wounded or such =/. Might be a hamfisted wrecking ball method, but works.
That's not what causes mine however. I do successfully run the missions. I come back to the avenger (Do the promotions, see who's wounded etc) and they are stuck "on mission" or "infiltrating" from there on. Last mission I did before giving up (Campaign attempt #7 all with this issue) I had 3 people go on the mission. Got back, 2 were wounded, one was fine. The wounded people recover and can be used, the one that wasn't wounded is stuck in limbo. At least it wasn't the whole squad this time (Though that same save has a full squad in limbo as well).

Going to hold off playing for awhile, tired of restarting for the same thing to happen every time. Can't make it ~3 weeks in before run out of soldiers being stuck in limbo.
cryptc

Post by cryptc »

StrikeQ wrote: That's not what causes mine however. I do successfully run the missions. I come back to the avenger (Do the promotions, see who's wounded etc) and they are stuck "on mission" or "infiltrating" from there on. Last mission I did before giving up (Campaign attempt #7 all with this issue) I had 3 people go on the mission. Got back, 2 were wounded, one was fine. The wounded people recover and can be used, the one that wasn't wounded is stuck in limbo. At least it wasn't the whole squad this time (Though that same save has a full squad in limbo as well).
This is same way it happens for me, haven't checked if the injured go to infiltrating or back to squad after they are healed though.
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

cryptc wrote:
StrikeQ wrote: That's not what causes mine however. I do successfully run the missions. I come back to the avenger (Do the promotions, see who's wounded etc) and they are stuck "on mission" or "infiltrating" from there on. Last mission I did before giving up (Campaign attempt #7 all with this issue) I had 3 people go on the mission. Got back, 2 were wounded, one was fine. The wounded people recover and can be used, the one that wasn't wounded is stuck in limbo. At least it wasn't the whole squad this time (Though that same save has a full squad in limbo as well).
This is same way it happens for me, haven't checked if the injured go to infiltrating or back to squad after they are healed though.
Hmmm... Looks like its an extremely complicated bug then...
ByDesign

Post by ByDesign »

Amineri wrote:

Additional information, I had 2 other mods installed (Uniform Manager, Evac All) however I don't believe these are the cause.

In your test scenario instead of selection Abort or Launch press the ESC key to clear the pop up prompt and return to the geoscape.

I will double check my steps when I get home from work.

Either way it seems if cleaning up this problem is difficult could squads and their associated members on infiltration status who do not have valid Mission IDs simply be unflagged and become available in the soldier pool once more? If the bugged mission is no longer present then there is nothing to clean up? simple returning the soldiers and for safety sack perhaps disbanding the effected Squad would be the easiest soloution in Unreal.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

I have 3 mods installed that I typically run with Long War 2 :
- tracktwo's Evac All
- Capnbub's Accessory Pack
- Robojumber's Debug Camera Fix

So it's not Evac All that's causing the problem.
WaShO

Post by WaShO »

Well same thing happens to me but i have no other mods active other than LW2. So basically i sent a squad to infiltrate on a zero timer infiltration mission and there is no mission on the geoscape.
Can we expect there will be a way to bring the squad back or should i just start a new campaign? Maybe a console command or a button to cancel infiltration on the squad menu on the avenger?
StrikeQ

Post by StrikeQ »

Amineri wrote:I have 3 mods installed that I typically run with Long War 2 :
- tracktwo's Evac All
- Capnbub's Accessory Pack
- Robojumber's Debug Camera Fix

So it's not Evac All that's causing the problem.
Mods I use
-It's Just A Scratch V2
-All Flags
-Use My Class
-No Rank Up Throttling
-LW2 Tactical Suppressors
-LW2
-Load From Character Pool
-Evac All

In between each campaign I delete everything in my documents/xcom directory. Tried without mods. Verified files. None of that worked.

However I deleted Xcom, all mods (the whole Workshop/content steam directory as well) and re downloaded them all. So far in my current campaign I haven't had a stuck squad (only ~3 missions in, but considering it always happened at the start I'm hopeful)
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

My inclination on this at this point (barring any sudden revelations) is to wait and see if the 1.1 patch resolves any of these issues. There are a lot of changes in 1.1, and it could have gotten fixed as a side effect of some other change.

If the issue is still happening post 1.1, then we'll take a look at it again. I'd love to include a fix in 1.1, but I'm kind of stymied and there are a lot of other fixes/balance things that could end up delayed while trying to figure this out.
WaShO

Post by WaShO »

Ok, so basically there will be no quick solution to fix current games?
I have no problem with starting a new campaign i just wanted to know if i should wait but i guess ill just restart.
Thank you.

Btw, awesome job on the mod. You guys are amazing, keep up the awesome job !
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

I think I can whip up a console command to try and force calling the PostMissionRevert on a named squad, but without testing I can't guaranteed that it will work.

UPDATE: I've added a new console command, of the form :

Code: Select all

LWForceSquadPostMissionCleanup(string SquadName)
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

Amineri wrote:I think I can whip up a console command to try and force calling the PostMissionRevert on a named squad, but without testing I can't guaranteed that it will work.

That is incredible and exactly what we need, thanks again Pavonic & Amineri. I am basically forced not to play atm because I have the HQ mission and I don't want it to expire, and with 18 soldiers stuck in infiltration and another team out already and only a few left over not wounded probably wouldn't go over well lol.
cryptc

Post by cryptc »

Just an update on my situation, it was somehow mod related I believe, since when I uninstalled all mods, deleted everything and just installed LW2 the problem disappeared from me. I suspect there might been some remnants of old mods causing issues, but I'm gradually adding mods again now to test further.
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

cryptc wrote:Just an update on my situation, it was somehow mod related I believe, since when I uninstalled all mods, deleted everything and just installed LW2 the problem disappeared from me. I suspect there might been some remnants of old mods causing issues, but I'm gradually adding mods again now to test further.
I expunged my mod list down to;

LW2
Accurate Swords
Blacklight: Retribution Helmets
Ink and Paint
Lifetime Stats
Overwatch Tracer
Overwatch Tracer Voice
Use My Class
Vivid Hair Colour Extended
LW2 Tactical Supressors
Titanfall Sparks
True Concealment for LW2

I've purged and verified and never gotten the 18 soldiers I have stuck back yet :< waiting for the console command push through with 1.1
Rebus

Post by Rebus »

Update: I started a new campaign and am about 15 missions in and have not encountered the bug this time. The only change I made was deleting the "Bleedout" mod and "Just a Scratch v2". Judging from Steam forums "Bleedout" seems to cause the conflict (though presumably something else does as well given subsequent posts on this thread). I added "Just a Scratch v2" back in and still runs fine.

Sidenote: thanks so much Pavonis for all this work, I am really having fun! Had about 600hours in vanilla, though not sure why this game caught me - the graphical detail (video games!) had something to do with that, and modability. After a few learning failures ("impregnable" means just that!) I am really enjoying the faster running fights and the great satisfaction of pulling of a fast call evac-achieve goal-escape in a hail of bullets. Undoubtedly LW2 will get further polished, but the mechanics now are sensational and well conceived. Thanks.
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

Hah I am getting so desperate to play that I actually tried the debug code before it was in the game ._.
Willowran

Long War 2 Permanent Infiltration bug

Post by Willowran »

So I got my first supply raid of the game during the third month. It was a mission with light-moderate levels of enemy troops, and the infiltration would expire in 4 hours. I filled my squad up to the maximum of 12 in order to try and compensate, and sent the skyranger in, with the intent of trying to brute-force it.

Herein lies the bug(?). I told the squad to head on the mission, but the mission never actually started. On top of that, 12 of my troops are now permanently stuck on "infiltrating," which has given me a rather severe soldier-shortage, as this early I've had few opportunities to re-recruit. Even so, I wouldn't usually care THAT badly... except this team of 12 also have all of my unique DLC beast-hunting weapons.

The only other mod I have running is some "Advent Sniper" mod. I have regenerated my .ini files, and the problem has persisted. Everything else in-game has appeared to work properly.

Is there some way to script my squad out of infiltrating without having to start a new campaign?
Last edited by Willowran on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Willowran

Post by Willowran »

Amineri wrote:I think I can whip up a console command to try and force calling the PostMissionRevert on a named squad, but without testing I can't guaranteed that it will work.

Is this being patched in via 1.1, or has it been put in as-is? (If it's already been put into the game, the game does not recognize it as a command).
Last edited by Willowran on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
isnadtochiev

Re: Long War 2 Permanent Infiltration bug

Post by isnadtochiev »

Same situation, same bug. Reloading an earlier save didnt do anything, so apparently untill next LW2 is released, we have to wait.
XenoPi

-1 hour mission ate a squad

Post by XenoPi »

Long War 1.0 with dlcs on
PC/Steam
Using cosmetics, and tactics layer quality of life mods, ignore missing content, "stop wasting my time".
I had an extract VIP liberation mission pop up with an expiration time that had -1 hours left, I decided to put a squad in to see how bad it would be, it disappeared as the skyranger was returning to the avenger and my squad is stuck 'infiltrating' after several days.
Can provide a save if needed. Would be nice to add an abort button on the squad menu.
Valaska

Post by Valaska »

I am absolutely, 100% confirming this is NOT a bug with ANY mod other than LW2. I've removed the mods in quesiton and they have nothing to do with it, what it is, is if there is a mission with 0 0 0 on the timer, as soon as your avenger goes back to base, entire squad borked. This is the second campaign this has happened to me and its killed this campaign pretty much... I now have no choice but to wait.

Amineri, could you guys please push a hotfix for this? 1.05 or something?

This has happened to TWO supply raid missions, I ignored the first one because it had -2 hours, this time I tried it out to see if it was just one of those instant start missions as they should be... Yeah its not. It instantly borks 12 of your guys. Supply Raid's are absolutely the culprit, that's what fudged my last campaign, it is what fudged this one. Again, it has NOTHING to do with other mods :\