Phoenix Point Crowdfunding campaign

Only forum users with a previously approved post may post. Keep it family friendly.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Phoenix Point Crowdfunding campaign

Post by johnnylump »

Pointing out the Fig campaign for Phoenix Point, a turn-based tactics game by X-Com creator Julian Gollop, here:
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point
nmkaplan

New game from Julian Gollop crowdfunding now!!

Post by nmkaplan »

JohnnyLump posted this in the "off-topic" forum, but it doesn't seem like there's a lot of traffic there. Julian Gollop is currently crowdfunding for his new game Phoenix Point and it looks very impressive, especially for people who love the new XCom games.

I hope I'm not overstepping too much to cross-post here. Further discussion should probably happen in the correct forum.

Crowdfunding campaign for Phoenix Point: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point

JL's thread on the off-topic forum: http://www.pavonisinteractive.com/phpBB ... =2&t=25747
Franzy

Re: New game from Julian Gollop crowdfunding now!!

Post by Franzy »

Wow... It looks nothing like XCOM at all! :roll:
archangel

Post by archangel »

Franzy wrote:Wow... It looks nothing like XCOM at all! :roll:
Hurr durr.. it is not called Xcom. But it will play similarly (well more like LW2 with a more complex geoscape).
Severian

Post by Severian »

I think Gollop is entitled to make a game that is inspired by (the original) X-Com since he made it in the first place.

I think it looks awesome and I await it eagerly.
Swiftless

Post by Swiftless »

It's supposed to. Gollop developed the original XCOM and has said that he highly enjoyed some of the changes brought by the new firaxis titles, so he's borrowing the ones he enjoys to use in Pheonix Point (the global map for instance).
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Severian wrote:
I think Gollop is entitled to make a game that is inspired by (the original) X-Com since he made it in the first place.
Which is why there was a "Gollop Chamber" in XCOM-EU and why the crazy AI in SLG is called Julian BTW ;)
JackDT

Post by JackDT »

Sounds amazingly ambitious. Like XCOM Spore:
Other human factions are playing the game, driven by AI, in the same way that you are. They have their own short- and long-term goals, and they need to perform missions of their own in order to achieve those goals.You can work with them or against them, and in the early game you’ll most likely be helping one another because the alien threat requires a team effort to counter, but you’re free to turn on them at any time. And they may turn on you, and will certainly retaliate if you work counter to their ambitions or directly assault them.

On that note, you can not only raid factions to steal resources, but can attempt to take over their bases (Havens) if you so choose. Giving the player so many options in a world full of simulated entities going about their own business is thoroughly exciting to me. The focus here is relatively narrow, with the aliens’ encroachment from sea to land taking precedence over convoluted diplomatic wrangling and dynasty-building, but there should be plenty of room to create alliances and enemies even in the endtimes.

This all goes back to the way the aliens are constructed. There are different cores, which Gollop calls “chassis”, and you’ll see different ones in different parts of the world. Africa has a chassis referred to as the Sphinx, which is based on a lion. But because these creatures are mutated mash-ups, that simply means it’s a tough, fast quadruped. It might have longer legs, borrowed from elsewhere in the animal kingdom, or human arms to hold a gun (and that gun will have been stolen from a human faction). If a gun-wielding sphinx manages to obliterate one or more of your squads, the aliens will stick with it, pleased with its efficiency. But if you find a new tactic or tech that takes out a whole bunch of them, the aliens will adapt.
“Procedural generation works on two levels,” Gollop explains. “The first is interchangeable body parts. The other thing is morphing in size and shape to some extent. It might be that an alien has a vestigial element that can get larger. Or it might be a relatively small creature that is based on a large insect or bat, but that might get bigger or nastier.”

Initially, the aliens you fight will be based on combinations of sea creatures – I saw crab men but Gollop mentions squids, octopi and sharks as well – but as they force their way in-land, new hybrids will appear, based on animals from the regions in question. That means your location in the world will dictate, to an extent, whether you’re facing petrifying pachyderms or…giant penguins? I make the latter suggestion and Gollop seems enthused.

“Yes, maybe. And elephants with long legs, enormous bats and insects, or giant chameleons with wings.”
Phoenix Point, like Apocalypse before it, shares some of those qualities. Factions will develop their own agendas and develop technology, and they need to gather resources to survive just as you do. They’ll make alliances and fight one another, as well as battling against the aliens, and entire conflicts and emergent stories can play out without your involvement should you choose to turn your attention elsewhere.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... an-gollop/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... interview/
deaconivory
Long War 2 Crew

Re: Phoenix Point Crowdfunding campaign

Post by deaconivory »

Is is wrong that I'm unreasonably excited for this project?
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Sad to see that funding is limited to debit and credit cards.
This excludes quite a few people from funding.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Interesting. What method would you prefer to use for an online transaction? We may be running a crowdfunding campaign someday and am interested in its limitations.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Europeans are more into direct bank transfers. Paypal or PaysafeCards for transactions is a bit more common although you can't count that people have it.
Kyrsoh

Post by Kyrsoh »

I am from Central Europe. We prefer bank transitions (via the netbanking system) or paying with our regular cards (simple Maestro or Visa bankcards) NOT with credit cards or Paypal.