Targeting barrels an exploit?

This is to elevate certain bug reports so Long War 2 developers can interact with players.
trihero

Targeting barrels an exploit?

Post by trihero »

I'm talking about where you can target a barrel without seeing the pod that's behind it. It's something we've all exploited during vanilla, but I wonder if it's something that LW2 can fix. It seems like LW2 tries to address many exploits (like enemies pathing into you not attacking, etc etc etc) and this would be something that the devs should fix if it's not too hard.

I was reminded of this after watching this dev/player's legendary run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7kXQG7Fr_8

There's been a number of missions where he gets away with a lot of blowing up barrels before actually seeing the pod.
GavinRuneblade

Re: Targeting barrels an exploit?

Post by GavinRuneblade »

I've not encountered this, but I suspect that the rule on targeting the explosives is activated by aliens being within a certain distance and it doesn't check for visibility. That's quite exploitable:
wobuffet

Post by wobuffet »

Why not just make all explodables targetable all the time?

Put them all at the end of the target queue to make it less annoying.
TempuSFatumA

Post by TempuSFatumA »

wobuffet wrote:Why not just make all explodables targetable all the time?

Put them all at the end of the target queue to make it less annoying.
Yep, that makes much more sense. You could even change landscape with this.
All hail to the tale!
GavinRuneblade

Post by GavinRuneblade »

That is something I miss from the original. You could shoot at anything you wanted any time you wanted. You could even have a squad blast holes in UFO walls or the ceiling instead of using the door (took hellacious amounts of ammo though).

Making them all targets all the time also opens possibilities for causing distractions when needed.
Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

But it also means you get that 'hostiles in sight' noise whenever you switch to a soldier that can see an explosive, or if they can't see one and then move into a position where they can.

I tried it out (it's a very simple .ini config switch you can do in vanilla, even) and turned it off because it was more annoying than useful.
wobuffet

Post by wobuffet »

Arcalane wrote:But it also means you get that 'hostiles in sight' noise whenever you switch to a soldier that can see an explosive, or if they can't see one and then move into a position where they can.

I tried it out (it's a very simple .ini config switch you can do in vanilla, even) and turned it off because it was more annoying than useful.
Bugger. Thanks for the info though!