Camera Stuck Under The Avenger

This is to elevate certain bug reports so Long War 2 developers can interact with players.
Arcalane

Re: Camera Stuck Under The Avenger

Post by Arcalane »

TheCiroth wrote:So I did do the change that Enhas suggested. While I did not have any camera under the avenger, I hadn't had it for a while so I don't know if it had helped. What it did do for me was cause a lot of stuttering when moving troops. What I think was happening is an issue with loading the voice lines for moving troops. I think there needs to be some objects loaded, perhaps more than 0 to help with this?
This is typically a sign of issues with the voicepacks themselves, especially old ones that were made before the localshadercache fix was discovered.
TheCiroth

Post by TheCiroth »

When I returned it back to 13000, I had no issues. I am just saying that the reduction is not the cure all if you use a lot of voice packs.
Enhas

Post by Enhas »

I don't see why voice packs have that problem though, swapping in a line as it's needed shouldn't hang the game. But they are the most memory intensive of all mods, especially if you use multiple.
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

So this is my performance during a caps lock crash, followed by ALT+F4 & "waiting-instead-of-caps-lock-ing"

It's the GPU stats right at the bottom that may be of interest. The yellow line is GPU Utilisation and the green is GPU Memory utilisation (both % based)

The first 2 green dots are the performance towards the end of the mission (1st red line is mission complete). I then press caps lock and you can see an immediate drop/hike in GPU memory as stuff is "dumped" into/out-of it. At the 2nd red line I'm stuck under the Avenger. I ALT+F4 out.

When I reload the mission (2nd pair of green dots) and the mission ends, I sit and wait, watching video memory slowly creep up to almost 100% before getting the "Press any key" (4th red line). At this point the game continues normally and progresses through to the dropshiop landing. I've no real knowledge of why video memory is used rather than RAM - or what that could mean in terms of mods/GPU settings etc. You can also see that video memory (and RAM) are both less utilised after reloading, suggesting... well... I don't know what (memory leak?)

Comparing GPU memory to RAM - it's easy to see that the RAM isn't really being taxed at all - it's video memory that's having the problem. I'm no Windows performance expert though...

(Re: Not caps-locking : It's quicker to get the error, ALT+F4, reload and complete once per 8-20 missions than it is to wait for the press any key prompt every time)
Enhas

Post by Enhas »

Turning up the garbage collection doesn't help there, because the game loads faster than it can trigger. I never use the caps lock trick, it's better to just wait for it to load.

Aside from the one rain crash I still haven't had any others in-mission, or the under the avenger bug since making that ini change, but I still don't know for sure if it's all been just luck or if it's actually made a difference.
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

So it just happened on a "no caps lock" mission. It looks like whatever is filling the video memory up is failing to happen when the error occurs. The yellow GPU reverse spikes are when the game momentarily freezes (to clear garbage?) and that's clearly not happened when I've experienced the bug.

This particular mission was a column assault with 30 enemies and the first appearance of the viper queen. It was a long drawn out (maybe over an hour) battle.
Enhas

Post by Enhas »

You really shouldn't be running out of VRAM so there's something wrong somewhere. I'm beginning to think that there's certain objects that spawn on some maps that use more resources than they should, and if they are there for the entirety of the mission then they will never be trimmed from memory. So if you play for too long you will eventually crash no matter what system you have.

At least that's my theory. I saw a streamer crash after playing a "long" mission for a while too, which was fixed upon reloading the save.
Goldenmonkey

Post by Goldenmonkey »

I have the same problem. I am happy to provide information, savegames etc. I am clueless about coding etc. though. I would need detailled instructions on what to present.
So far:
I had 0 problems with Vanilla Xcom2, even with mods. I started LW2 with several mods, and got this bug in about 2 out of 4 missions. I have not tried LW2 without any mods yet.

Mods I have installed:
[LW2 Comp] Xcom 2 International Voices Pack
Additional Icons
Capnbubs Accessories Pack
Destroyer'S Female Face Pack
Destroyer'S Female Hair Pack
Evac All
Free Camera Rotation
Full Charachter Customization From Start
Gotcha (I will try to remove this as well, but last. I seem to dumb to understand how flanking works, so I really enhjoy this mod)
Lifetime Stats (I will remove this and try again, as I read this seemed to be the problem for some)
Long War 2
Lw2 Better Squad Icon Selector
Make All Items Availabe & Remove Unused Upgrades
Mission Award Variety (As it has something to do with the debreifing screen, it might be responsible? I will remove it as well)
Perfect Information (not activated though)
Quiet Bradford (Not Activated)
Restored Avenger Navigation
True Concealment For Lw2

Specs:
intel xeon e3-1225 v3
Radeon HD 9750
8 GB Ram
Win 10

The bug occured first on a extract, second on a rescue mission.
CyanideParadox

Post by CyanideParadox »

Goldenmonkey wrote:I have the same problem. I am happy to provide information, savegames etc. I am clueless about coding etc. though. I would need detailled instructions on what to present.
So far:
I had 0 problems with Vanilla Xcom2, even with mods. I started LW2 with several mods, and got this bug in about 2 out of 4 missions. I have not tried LW2 without any mods yet.

Mods I have installed:
[LW2 Comp] Xcom 2 International Voices Pack
Additional Icons
Capnbubs Accessories Pack
Destroyer'S Female Face Pack
Destroyer'S Female Hair Pack
Evac All
Free Camera Rotation
Full Charachter Customization From Start
Gotcha (I will try to remove this as well, but last. I seem to dumb to understand how flanking works, so I really enhjoy this mod)
Lifetime Stats (I will remove this and try again, as I read this seemed to be the problem for some)
Long War 2
Lw2 Better Squad Icon Selector
Make All Items Availabe & Remove Unused Upgrades
Mission Award Variety (As it has something to do with the debreifing screen, it might be responsible? I will remove it as well)
Perfect Information (not activated though)
Quiet Bradford (Not Activated)
Restored Avenger Navigation
True Concealment For Lw2

Specs:
intel xeon e3-1225 v3
Radeon HD 9750
8 GB Ram
Win 10

The bug occured first on a extract, second on a rescue mission.
Try LW2 without any other mods first for a few missions, then slowly re-enable mods after you've confirmed that you aren't getting the bug after those missions.

Also, back when I had Uniform Manager still enabled, I was getting the bug after every 2 missions, once I disabled that, I no longer got the bug. I think the same thing might apply to Lifetime Stats since that is another 'suspect' mod for LW2.

Also, while you're at it, re-gen your ini files by deleting your config folder before starting the game just to be on the safe side.
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Something else i've just noticed on a "Soft-Crash" event which might very well be related to other issues like this "UnderAvenger-Camera".

It happened **exactly** when NVidia GeForce Experience wanted to warn me about new driver updates. These automated process are always resident in memory stack even when we play games.. as soon as they push a trigger request for activation, most system resources are enforced to react to the "rapid" swaps necessary to maintain runtime stability -- in our case, ingame activities & specific transits like Strategy/Tactical (and vice-versa) switching demands.

To me.. that sort of optimal hooking steps aren't really stable in the Firaxis (guilty) scripts -- or at least they are indicative of system concerns beyond the game design (LW2 or not) itself.. thus why we receive these errors while many of our mods (Uniforms & LifeTimeStats & BlackMarketUsage & VoicePacks are just four examples of high demands out of probably many more, btw) **ADD** supplemental memory stacks to control in nearly coincidental gameplay events that battle out for proper CPU cycles attention.

Thus -- of course, the PC can only shuffle out stuff under certain "bad luck" conditions & then, simply MUST crash.
Enhas

Post by Enhas »

The problem is that I've had the under the avenger bug and "pure virtual function" crashes happen in vanilla, without any mods (and I don't use Geforce Experience). Some mods just make it happen faster, in particular Uniform Manager (never used myself, but it keeps being mentioned here as a probable cause), Lifetime Stats and Stop Wasting My Time.

The MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC=0 "fix" (more like a workaround) works in some cases so far in my experience, but not all. XCOM 2 clearly has some problems in some maps no matter what hardware you use.
kidd1991

Post by kidd1991 »

I dont think my graphics card can handle this game or this mod with the nonstop crashes and dlc not working and Camera Stuck Under The Avenger. I really hope someone finds something, ive got to the point where i give up on trying to beat the game along with LW 2 mod. Ive got about 567 hours played of me playing till my game crashes and starting over like crazy. Unsubbing mods and etc to just get past a point, half the time certain missions dont even come up like it did the time that it crashes.

I really dont think this game was optimized right with the non stop bugs, crashes, and etc everyone reports to 2k that they dont even know how to fix either.
Plus with windows 10 update its really hard to find what would be causing some of the problems I have since I dont have anything running when the game runs to cause this.
Attachments
This is what I run and I barely get good frames with putting everything on normal
This is what I run and I barely get good frames with putting everything on normal
My rig.JPG (14.68 KiB) Viewed 245958 times
TheCiroth

Post by TheCiroth »

Your graphics card should handle this just fine, I use a GTX 980 with out any issues. I am also using a 6700k. Sure I have to restart the game every few hours but I think that's more of a too many mods issue and XCOM 2 not cleaning things up well like Enhas suggested a few posts back
Stweels

Post by Stweels »

I run a GTX 1070 GPU Card. (MSI O-Clock edition) I have never actually had the Avenger Foot Pad crash yet. (Touch wood! :roll: ) But for a few seconds before I see the Sky Ranger land, I consistently see a strange black screen with scattered random twinkly objects in front, almost as if the foreground connects of a scene are being generated.

I'm a very slow player so I play maximum one mission a game session - so it is likely I don't play enough in a session to deplete system resources.

- Steel Wheels
robojumper

Post by robojumper »

Enhas wrote:The problem is that I've had the under the avenger bug and "pure virtual function" crashes happen in vanilla, without any mods (and I don't use Geforce Experience). Some mods just make it happen faster, in particular Uniform Manager (never used myself, but it keeps being mentioned here as a probable cause), Lifetime Stats and Stop Wasting My Time.

The MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC=0 "fix" (more like a workaround) works in some cases so far in my experience, but not all. XCOM 2 clearly has some problems in some maps no matter what hardware you use.
This is kind of a shot in the dark, but did you consider increasing it? I tried to figure out a bit about what it does, but I don't feel like I'd be able to bring those thoughts together in one coherent post.

My recommended value would be 200000 -- the game says that it places 160000 objects into the root set (objects loaded at startup that stay always loaded), so if one the last 30000 objects (160000-130000=30000) happen to have a reference to an obect that should be GC'd (which definitely shouldn't happen), it wouldn't get cleaned up.

Just my thoughts, because Firaxis sure does have a tendency to set object parameters on materials in StartupPackages etc. etc.
Enhas

Post by Enhas »

From what I've read that value should generally be set to the number of objects loaded at startup. Firaxis set it at 130000 but in reality it should be the exact number it says in the log, so 165584. The whole reason that I can understand why that value is set that is because garbage collection triggers a minor hitch every time it fires, and you don't want it to trigger unless it absolutely has to for performance reasons. For some players setting it to 0 can be particularly noticeable (like TheCiroth above), but for others (and myself) it's almost non-existent.

The problem is that XCOM 2 is not a well-optimized game, at all. Sometimes stuff gets left in memory that doesn't go away unless you exit out of the game entirely and reload. And I think sometimes things get saved into save files during missions that really shouldn't, either, and load into memory when you load the save.

The MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC edit is not a magic fix but it does seem to help sometimes. I've tried it at MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC=0 and seemingly had less crashes, but maybe it should also be tested with MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC=165584 to see what happens.
Zyxpsilon

Post by Zyxpsilon »

Worth mentionning here too i guess is the infamously random "Waterworld" ending flaw that can also suffer heavily from similar stack overflows.

The same "Blackened" screen occurs after the FINAL closing cinematics cycle has completed (gimme a truly effective ESC magic trick for that stuff, someone!!) -- along with a dark animated model of one soldier stuck in an endless loop. Of course.. we just lose the precious four summary pages of STATS (hours of wild play gone into the Twilight Zone forever) to that silly crash.

Somebody (IIRC, on Reddit -- go figure) once claimed this was caused by some bad WIN "screensaver" gimmick trying to hook in the background -- but that didn't correct it on my PC either.

Thus -- the diagnostic remains.. system clearing of bad artifacts can still strike us all out .. unpredictably. :evil: :cry:
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

Just a quick update...

Uniform Manager removal seems to have cured the problem for me. Runs fine in Vanilla but add LW2 (ironically the mod that massively increases the need for Uniform Manager) and it all goes to poo. Current workaround is to load w/Uniform Manager, sort out pretty troopers, unsub, play.
JM01

Post by JM01 »

Harlequin565 wrote:Just a quick update...

Uniform Manager removal seems to have cured the problem for me. Runs fine in Vanilla but add LW2 (ironically the mod that massively increases the need for Uniform Manager) and it all goes to poo. Current workaround is to load w/Uniform Manager, sort out pretty troopers, unsub, play.
Unfortunately this is also happening to people without the Uniform Manager Mod. Though it could be something that another mod alters that Uniform Manager also alters.

The big problem with this crash is the inconsistency of it. It does not seem to be any people with a particular mod or set of mods. The only thing I can think of is that there are certain mods that are doing something to the after action screen the same way uniform manager does that makes this crash happen.

The weirdest part about the error is the term pure virtual function. If it is using it in the same context as it is used in C++ it means that there is a function being called that has no actual definition (meaning it is declared somewhere but it has not defining code, it is just blank). It's just so weird that it only happens after some missions. It's like either an object reference or function pointer somewhere get's misallocated somehow.

Edit: I also forgot to add that the frequency at which this happens is very inconsistent as well. Some days I will almost not get this crash at all. And then there are times like the last session I just played where all of the missions I went on (4 in a row) crashed under the avenger after the mission.

This bug is probably either never getting solved or is going to take a VERY long time to catch. The inconsistency is just through the roof.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Enhas wrote:... maybe it should also be tested with MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC=165584 to see what happens.
I would very much like to hear the results of the test. It's a change I can make in the mod, but it'll have to do no serious harm to the players not seeing the bug.
Enhas

Post by Enhas »

0 still seems to still work the best for me. It'll prevent some crashes at the cost of some (minor) added slowdown at times, particularly on enemy reveals on Swarming missions.

Any mod that speeds up things in the tactical layer seems to be highly likely to crash the game on missions with many enemies, and no particular value helps with that. Mods like Stop Wasting My Time or robojumper's Speedups can make the game crash, at random, during your turn or the enemy turn (usually at the end of the enemy turn). So anyone having crash problems should try disabling those.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Okay, I pinged a, uh, source and here's some guidance I received:
Without looking into the issue myself, it would be hard to guess whether MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC would have an effect but I would very much doubt it. That value is only relevant in cooked data builds, and it is an optimization to lower the performance impact of garbage collection by allowing the mark phase to ignore objects that the system knows are permanent. Setting it to 0 eliminates the optimization, while setting it locally to 165584 should be safe since we are no longer pushing content updates. The effect of setting it higher would be to slightly improve the perf hit from GC – but this optimization would probably be unnoticeable … GC occurs once every 15s ( which is “stock” for UE3 ) and the number of objects being removed from consideration is relatively small to the whole (which is dominated by game state objects and AI behavior tree objects).

... In many cases XCOM 2 leaves assets resident in memory to reduce load times, trading memory for time – examples being alien, human pawn content, and other ubiquitous assets. However, when changing game modes it is essential that the worlds from tactical should be freed. Leaks of “singleton” actors from the tactical world would have terrible side effects like the one described in your bug. To see if that is happening, here is what I might do to see what’s up.

While you are stuck under the avenger run these console commands:

1. “obj list class=world”

a. This will produce a list of the currently loaded worlds. Are any of those worlds from the tactical game? If yes, then move to step 2

2. “obj refs class=world name=<tactical.world.object>”

a. This will give you a trace from the world to the GC object attached to root which is causing the tactical world to leak.

Garbage collector primer:

· The GC has a root node which all objects are attached to in order to indicate they are “in use”.
· If objects are periodically checked to see if they are connected to the root – either directly or indirectly through objects that reference them.
· If an object does not have a “route” to the root then it is deleted – otherwise it is retained.

If the tactical world is leaking, it means that something that is tactical only has somehow become referenced by a GC rooted object. An example of this would be a delegate function belonging to a world actor that has been assigned to a game data template ( which is a rooted object ).
I'll run this process on my test build, but I haven't seen the stuck-under-the-Avenger bug myself, so it'd be helpful if some of the technically inclined among you seeing this issue could follow these steps and post as well (preferably from a version with no additional mods).
JM01

Post by JM01 »

johnnylump wrote:Okay, I pinged a, uh, source and here's some guidance I received:
Without looking into the issue myself, it would be hard to guess whether MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC would have an effect but I would very much doubt it. That value is only relevant in cooked data builds, and it is an optimization to lower the performance impact of garbage collection by allowing the mark phase to ignore objects that the system knows are permanent. Setting it to 0 eliminates the optimization, while setting it locally to 165584 should be safe since we are no longer pushing content updates. The effect of setting it higher would be to slightly improve the perf hit from GC – but this optimization would probably be unnoticeable … GC occurs once every 15s ( which is “stock” for UE3 ) and the number of objects being removed from consideration is relatively small to the whole (which is dominated by game state objects and AI behavior tree objects).

... In many cases XCOM 2 leaves assets resident in memory to reduce load times, trading memory for time – examples being alien, human pawn content, and other ubiquitous assets. However, when changing game modes it is essential that the worlds from tactical should be freed. Leaks of “singleton” actors from the tactical world would have terrible side effects like the one described in your bug. To see if that is happening, here is what I might do to see what’s up.

While you are stuck under the avenger run these console commands:

1. “obj list class=world”

a. This will produce a list of the currently loaded worlds. Are any of those worlds from the tactical game? If yes, then move to step 2

2. “obj refs class=world name=<tactical.world.object>”

a. This will give you a trace from the world to the GC object attached to root which is causing the tactical world to leak.

Garbage collector primer:

· The GC has a root node which all objects are attached to in order to indicate they are “in use”.
· If objects are periodically checked to see if they are connected to the root – either directly or indirectly through objects that reference them.
· If an object does not have a “route” to the root then it is deleted – otherwise it is retained.

If the tactical world is leaking, it means that something that is tactical only has somehow become referenced by a GC rooted object. An example of this would be a delegate function belonging to a world actor that has been assigned to a game data template ( which is a rooted object ).
I'll run this process on my test build, but I haven't seen the stuck-under-the-Avenger bug myself, so it'd be helpful if some of the technically inclined among you seeing this issue could follow these steps and post as well (preferably from a version with no additional mods).

I'll give this a shot tonight as I am sure it will happen to me again (it actually just did and I am about to lead back into the game). The explanation he gave on this makes A LOT of sense now especially with the "pure virtual function" error that pops up. It looks like an object is being referred to that likely already got Garbage Collected from the tactical world but still exists in the strategic world. I'll try to give results along with all of the other mods I am running.
Enhas

Post by Enhas »

The pure virtual function error sometimes pops up during the tactical layer as well. I've seen posts about it happening to some people when trying to use the elevators during Shen's Last Gift, but I've never had that happen myself.

Something that I've had happen are crashes that occur during the Forge mission, not long after getting the cutscene showing the main building. It happens at random, sometimes multiple times when even reloading a save, but sometimes it doesn't and I can proceed. This was in vanilla, but it most likely happens in Long War 2 as well.

Anyway, setting the value above to 0 does seem to help in some situations, but I really have no idea why for sure that is the case. 165584 is what it should be set to, but there seems to be problems somewhere, maybe with some object(s) on some maps. You know sometimes when you can take cover behind something that's entirely invisible? On more than one occasion when I've gotten crashes, the map I was playing had one of those. Might be something worth looking into.
aykeem

Post by aykeem »

Hey, intruder from the Steam forums here. There's a long topic on this bug there as well, Harlequin posted the link to this board and I saw the debugging suggestions from the, uh, Source.

So the bug reproduces every second mission I complete. It started happening when I installed a batch of mods on top of LW2. I already had a bunch of cosmetic and UI mods installed, but this started happening after I installed Instant Loot and Uniform Manager. People suggested I should remove the Uniform Manager (dammit) and I'm going to try that to see if it fixes things. Thing is, I need to play for ~1.5 hours in one session for this bug to reproduce and I've got a day job :P so it's hard to do a lot of testing in one sitting.

Last night I reproduced it with the debug console active and I tried applying the debugging steps. Unfortunately, they aren't very clear and I only managed running the first command. The second command ( “obj refs class=world name=<tactical.world.object>” ) looks like it should take the "name" parameter from one of the objects listed from the first command, but I didn't figure out how to make it work. Anyway, I ran the first command both for a mission ending where things go normal and a mission ending where the camera stays stuck under the Avenger, and I can report the following:
- the output for the first command looks almost the same, so the outputs have 43 common objects out of a total of 45 each.
- the "broken" output also contains 2 objects: Avg_PowerRelay_A_Anim.TheWorld and Avg_Armory_A_PhotoBooth.TheWorld (but lacks the objects below)
- the "normal" output also contains 2 objects: Avg_ResistanceComms_A.TheWorld and Avg_ResistanceComms_A_Anim.TheWorld (but lacks the objects above)

Also, when the mission ends and you're stuck under the Avenger, if you alt-tab to look at the debug console you can see a bunch of errors being dumped there (a lot, it's very spammy, filled up the whole console buffer so I couldn't retrieve all the errors), similar to these:

[4118.40] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'm_kGameCore'
XGMissionControlUI Avenger_Root.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.XGMissionControlUI_1
Function XComGame.XGMissionControlUI:UpdateClock:005F
[4118.40] ScriptWarning: Accessed None
Function XComGame.XGMissionControlUI:UpdateClock:0074
[4118.40] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'm_kGameCore'
Function XComGame.XGMissionControlUI:UpdateClock:01BE
[4118.40] ScriptWarning: Accessed None
Function XComGame.XGMissionControlUI:UpdateClock:01D3
[..]
[4433.74] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'm_kGameCore'
Function XComGame.XGMissionControlUI:Tick:00B1
[4433.74] ScriptWarning: Accessed None
Function XComGame.XGMissionControlUI:Tick:00C6
[4433.77] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'Movie'
UIMouseCursor Avenger_Root.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UIMouseCursor_3
Function XComGame.UIMouseCursor:UpdateMouseLocation:0027
[4433.77] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'Movie'
UIMouseCursor Avenger_Root.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.UIMouseCursor_3
Function XComGame.UIMouseCursor:UpdateMouseLocation:0098

I have no idea how to interpret this, as I do not know how the system is built nor have access to the source code to check what those objects and methods are (I don't even know what programming language we're talking about). But it seems there's a problem with the game trying to access objects from the tactical layer that have been destroyed and the reason for that might be the fact that we have that PowerRelay object still referenced in the strategy layer (or that's what I understand from The Source's comment).

I have screenshots of the in-game console with the object list output for both the reproduced state and normal state and a txt file where I saved the error dump from the debug console (what I could retrieve from it). PM me an email and I can send an archive with them (it wouldn't hurt having a second pair of eyes doing a comparison, I didn't find a way to get the in-game console output into text format so I could have a robot compare them :P ).