Return Fire After Death

This is to elevate certain bug reports so Long War 2 developers can interact with players.
Harlequin565

Return Fire After Death

Post by Harlequin565 »

Had a Shinobi melee an Advent soldier to death and he still returned fire. Can't remember the unit name, but he was Blue and from a reinforcement drop.
warbrand2

Re: Return Fire After Death

Post by warbrand2 »

that would be an advent sentry.

And here to report the same thing, the sentries seem to be bugged as killing doesn't remove overwatch some times leading to a dead soldier attacking your units.
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Post by mattprice516 »

Quick questions for clarification:

Are you using any mods that affect enemies, AI behavior, or OW? Sentries don't have Return Fire.

They do have Covering Fire though, which is supposed to OW attack the attacker before the attacker attacks (same as it does for XCOM). Are you sure they're not Covering Fire OW-ing your soldiers?
Harlequin565

Post by Harlequin565 »

No AI mods. I'm running a very lite mod game (apart from voices, cosmetics & maps)

He could well have been on overwatch. I was out of his LOS until I dropped off the roof onto a tile that was in his LOS (round a 90 degree corner). Death-by-sword followed. Then he shot me.

I've faced lots of sentries since and it's not happened again. Could just be an OW glitch that's firing after the death animation *only* when you break LOS on the adjacent tile. Pretty rare to happen often.
warbrand2

Post by warbrand2 »

And we have the major clue. the out of LOS bit.

cause it was the same in the few situations I had it, which was near buildings or in one case in a modded ruins which had a lot of LOS blockers.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

It sounds like this might be a visualization bug. I've been trying to reproduce the situations you've been describing, but have been unable to. If anyone who sees this bug can upload a savefile that will reproduce the issue, would be a great help.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Further info:

All ADVENT Sentries get the CoveringFire ability on their weapon, as well as the new LW perk ReadyForAnything.

We haven't made any changes to CoveringFire, which lets them use their overwatch when enemy units use actions other than movement (such as swordslash, for example).
ReadyForAnything lets them enter overwatch as a free action after firing a StandardShot to end their turn.

In most situations (such as the sword attack described), the Sentry will have LOS to the attacker, in which case it should be triggering it overwatch before the attack happens (i.e. sword attack). I tried to replicate this by using a grenade to kill a Sentry from out of LOS (overwatch from both regular and from ReadyForAnything) and subsequent movement from other units did not trigger any reaction fire.
warbrand2

Post by warbrand2 »

Ok, I have over wrote the save I had for this damn idiot me. but Ican help narrow things down.

IT seems to happen only when something inters the sentries line of sight and kills it in the same action. as such 99% of the time I can only get it to happen with a sword kill while a consealed guy has los on the the sentry aka late game.

that said I think the only way to have this happen is with sword kills. I need to do more testing but damn I wish there was a way to force situations for testing.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

I use a variety of console commands...

\DropUnit AdvSentryM1 1
\AIForceAbility Overwatch

Those should be helpful, assuming you have console enabled.
warbrand2

Post by warbrand2 »

Ok, this bug officially annoys me. in its inconsistency.

I managed to get it to happen again, was getting ready to send the save when reloaded it to make sure it happens every time... 5 reloads later and can't get it to happen again. on a save that I Had it happen in the exact freaking move order that I had.... I think this is just a rare bug that might be something in that happens cause AI problems.

that and I have a lot of mods on my game, so I am beginning to think my encounters with this are likely something going wrong on that end, already had at least two bugs I was going to report turn out to be do to conflicts in mods and on my end only.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

Yes, those inconsistent bugs are the worst.

We had one during development that only happened if you loaded from a tactical save, finished it, returned to the avenger, promoted a unit in after action, then proceeded to the armory and editted weapon mods. A save and reload at the point would clear the bug. Fun times!
Pendrako

Post by Pendrako »

That sounds like a plan for a standard Saturday morning Cartoon Villain. "needlessly complicated"

what exactly did it do? Kinda curious now.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

Pendrako wrote:That sounds like a plan for a standard Saturday morning Cartoon Villain. "needlessly complicated"

what exactly did it do? Kinda curious now.
Off-topic, but the bug messed up the display of weapon upgrade name / stats in the Armory.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

In one scenario, a dead Advent Sentry was able to shoot back at me with his Overwatch. I had a Shinobi on a wall one tile away from him, but directly above. So all he had to do was move one single tile, dropping down right next to him, then slashing. The action completed, slash and kill, but then the Sentry stood back up, took a shot, and laid back down.

That shot was a crit and it put my soldier into bleed out.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

This is sounding more and more like a visualization problem.

Sentries have Covering Fire (not when disoriented or using Ready For Anything), which allows them to trigger their overwatch when enemies take actions instead of just moving. So in theory a sentry with Covering Fire should be triggering their shooting damage BEFORE the sword attack, interrupting it. However, it seems like the visualization for the reaction fire isn't triggering until after the sword slash and death animations are played.

So the gameplay effect of the Sentry shooting at the melee unit sounds correct, but the presentation is definitely confusing.
brozm

Dead advent takes overwatch shot

Post by brozm »

1) The version of Long War you are playing: LW 1.1

2) The platform you are playing on: Win10

3) What other XCOM2 mods you are playing with:
Gotcha
Even more maps
More maps pack
World expansion project
Additional Icons
Upgrade reminder
Maps by Vozati
XCOM 2 international voice pack
Mgee’s Maps
More nations Mod
Evac all
Long War 2 (1.1)
Overwatch all/others
Free camera rotation
Capnbubs Accessories Pack
LW2 Tactical Suppressors

4) The circumstances of the bug or precise steps to produce it:
Concealed Shinobi Flesches nearby Advent and kills it. After death, newly dead (unarmed, no gun visible) Advent takes overwatch shot on Shinobi. The Advent was in overwatch. I thought the Shinobi would not be overwatched due to short path selected to Advent trooper, but I could be wrong. So the bug is either (a) valid overwatch shot was taken after showing Advent killed with no gun (it did not happen, but that could have allowed them to kill each other ... interesting), or (b) the overwatch shot should not have happened at all.

5) Whether you are able to offer a savegame for us to look at.
Savegame from autosave at start of turn available.