Need help debugging LW2 save

Soldier9

Need help debugging LW2 save

Post by Soldier9 »

I have been sent a few savegames by Xavier so I can debug an LOS issue with my mod Gotcha Again, but I am not able to load his games with the debugger active.

When I try loading his saves I am told that I'm missing a lot of the mods he uses (I only have LW2 and Gotcha Again loaded), but choosing to continue anyway the loading starts and then halts completely with the following last output in the log window: "[0037.73] Log: Assertion failed, line 157". There is no mention of which file the assert failed in.

The animation on the loading screen continues running and the debugger does not seem to indicate that it has breaked on something, nor does using the break or continue commands in it have any effect. What does have an effect though is just closing the debugger which causes the loading to continue, but this kind of defeats the purpose since I am now missing the debugger...

Can anyone offer some help on how to load his saves while still having the debugger running, or am I doomed to use log-statements for my debugging needs on this issue?
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Re: Need help debugging LW2 save

Post by tracktwo »

I also get a ton of warnings about missing mods, but I generally don't have trouble debugging (but I *do* hit assertions). The only difference between our setups that I can think of off the top of my head is that I have a debug build of the custom xcomgame and you don't. If it's asserting in there that might be the problem. Can you send me one of your problematic saves (or ask X to send me a copy of one you can't debug) and I'll see if I can debug them.

EDIT: Got one from XW already.
Soldier9

Post by Soldier9 »

Tracktwo helped identify the cause of this, which was that my version of XComGame.u from the workshop version of LW2 was not compiled with a debug profile, which prevented the debugger from recognizing the asserts so I could ignore them and continue...

He will probably put out some information in the near future for other modders facing the same problem.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

We're going to start providing a debug build of XComGame.u when we release new versions of LW2. Modders can drop this into their LW2 Script folder to be able to debug into the modified package.

To get correct source line info in the debugger they will also need to copy the LW2 XComGame sources (provided in the mod) to their SDK Src folder so the debugger can find them. This step is only really needed if you want to step through the modified code.
Soldier9

Post by Soldier9 »

For anyone who might need it, the debug version of XComGame.u is available here: http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom2/mods/633 ... D633&pUp=1
harvestmoon

Post by harvestmoon »

Hi,

Do we need a new debug build of xcomgame.u for 1.4 ?

Cheers,