Two questions about abilities

Krzysztof z Bagien

Two questions about abilities

Post by Krzysztof z Bagien »

1. Is there any simple (and by "simple" I mean .ini editing) way to make secondary weapons give their respective abilities to soldiers?
Right now, for example, "launch grenade" is assigned to the Grenadier class at reaching squaddie rank, and even if you edit .ini to remove grenade launcher and give him a sword or something, he will still have that ability. What I would like to achieve is to basically make only a single class that can use any secondary weapon and receive right abilities when specific secondary weapon is selected ("Slash" for a sword, "Launch grenade" for grenade launcher etc.).

2. Is there a way to add more than 3 abilities when soldier is promoted to squaddie? I belive it worked in standalone character pack, but in LW2, if I edit ClassData.ini to add some abilities to squaddies, only first three are active in game.

Edit: another question, I don't want to start yet another thread for it: any way to edit stats of all armours in .inis? Like for example add a point of armour to Kevlar, so it actually IS an armour, not just decoration?
johnnylump
Site Admin

Re: Two questions about abilities

Post by johnnylump »

The answer to your first and third question is no; in both cases it would require template editing and recompiling the game. As for the second I'd have to check with Amineri but I think it's also no.
Krzysztof z Bagien

Too bad :(
I know it shouldn't be THAT hard for me to do, but I can't force ModBuddy to work like it should, it always fails to compile with no error message or anything, so I've just given up and uninstalled it.
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

It's possible, but not via config change. We had a similar issue with the pistols (and in particular the Alien Hunter pistol), because those were also set up so that the 'FirePistol' ability was granted via class perk and not attached to the weapon. We have code that attaches the ability to the template when the game starts up to handle that.

BTW, the reason for attaching it to the class tree and not to the weapon is so that the ability (and its description) shows up in that promotion UI and the ability list.
Krzysztof z Bagien

Abilities description not showing up wouldn't be much of a problem to me (especially since I'd like to have a single soldier class only anyway). But if I wanted to keep them for some reason and still have them attached to a weapon instead of a class, I guess I'd assigned each class with dummy ability that wouldn't do anything but make description visible in UI, or something like that.
So - is there any way to give more than 3 abilities at promotion to squaddie via .ini?