Gatekeeper not spawning in psi gate mission

Bellbo

Gatekeeper not spawning in psi gate mission

Post by Bellbo »

Hi all,

The Gatekeeper that usually spawns through the psi gate decided he didn't want to play today.

1) The version of Long War you are playing. 1.4
2) The platform you are playing on. Windows 10 64 bit
3) What other XCOM2 mods you are playing with. Xwynn's collection, nothing more
4) The circumstances of the bug or precise steps to produce it.

I started out with a concealed trojan shutdown on a MEC, which led to the usual pod freezing yellow alert bug that fixes itself after a save-reload (although one pod did mysteriously activate out of sight). I cleared the map without venturing within sight range of the gate. During the mission my holobot scout was revealed so I was using a ghost grenaded assault to scout towards the end. When the concealed assault saw the gate the camera panned over to it but nothing happened. I walked the assault all around it (he even jumped through it a few times, sadly nothing happened), before walking one of my revealed troops up close - still nothing happened.

5) Whether you are able to offer a savegame for us to look at. Yes, it's a legend non-ironman game. My connection is slow but will upload it if you think it will be useful.
Bellbo

Re: Gatekeeper not spawning in psi gate mission

Post by Bellbo »

A quick bit of testing suggests the yellow alert bug is what causes the "shy gatekeeper". I restarted the mission, created a unit near the gate, walked up to it, and the gatekeeper popped out as usual with the cutscene. I restarted again, hacked a drone from concealment, let trojan kill it, and then created a unit near the gate and moved up to it - nothing happens.

When the bug is active, spawning a gatekeeper and killing it after killing everything else on the map does not complete the mission - I presume there's a boolean associated with the cutscene that doesn't get changed during the bug?
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Can you provide some more detailed steps? I can't repro this. Here's what I did:

- Started a Psi gate mission with a spec w/ trojan in the squad. The map I rolled had a pod w/ a drone.
- Teleported my spec over to the drone pod, shut down the drone from concealment. Wait a few turns for shutdown to wear off and trojan kills the drone.
- After another turn the rest of the pod discover the body and go into yellow while I'm still concealed.
- Teleport concealed spec near the psi gate but out of sight of it.
- Walk within vision of the gate

I get the cutscene and the gatekeeper appears. Am I doing something you aren't?
Bellbo

Post by Bellbo »

Sorry tracktwo suddenly I can't recreate it... When I load the original save (with the ghost grenaded assault sitting by the gate) I can now trigger the cutscene by moving such that the gate is out of sight, and then bringing it back into sight.

Something must have reset when I rebooted. I've tried a few combinations of hacking, activating and discovering the gate to no avail. I do remember being initially detected by a burrowed chryssalid, but that doesn't seem to make a difference now either.

I guess this goes on the backburner, then. Sorry if I've wasted your time.
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

No problem! The cutscene triggers when an XCOM unit gains vision of the gate. So walking out of LoS and back in may fix the problem if you somehow managed to get within sight of the gate without triggering the scene originally. I'm not sure how that could happen - maybe teleporting yourself near the gate would do it, I didn't try that. There may be some other ways to have that happen too. But at any rate I think the trojan/yellow alert may be a red herring.
mgarey2

Post by mgarey2 »

Hi,

I just barely had this same bug. Moving out of line of sight (with TeleportToCursor, because I was lazy), and then MOVING back into line of sight (NOT with TeleportToCursor), spawned the Gatekeeper. I'm not sure what is causing this bug, either, but that's a fix.