Corrupted save

Zork

Corrupted save

Post by Zork »

It's a bug I have rather often, including with only one mod, LW2 (but all DLC). It's only when the save is done at ship command, never with a save from a mission but it's more rare I save quit and load during a mission.

I load the game and it's ok, the time to load seems longer than normal but I didn't timed it to verify. Then if I try save it's crash, if I try to go to world map it's crash, normal white screen and then crash before to show anything.

I play on Mac and already submitted to Mac dev the bug two times with proposal to send saves, I haven't seen any contact, but it doesn't help it's a bug only with LW2.

I tried identify elements of context shared by all cases with the bug but found nothing obvious. Eventually a higher chance to reproduce it would be have a mission panel requiring to launch the mission or give up, then escape to get back to ship, save quit and load. But Im' totally sure I had some cases where I had the bug and not this context, I can also provide a save.

I'm afraid that it's a Mac specific bug, but it's really a burden and it's only with LW2.
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)
Zork

Re: Corrupted save

Post by Zork »

Got one more, I feel in my bones there's a shared context for cases i have the bug but can't put my finger on it.

In case dev read that and it triggers a click I add a bizarre new case I had. So corrupted save, load previous save and thankfully I don't have the bug. Quit launch again and for a reason I don't remind, I load the save that is fine, does nothing, save it in another slot. The try load the duplicate save which revealed to be corrupted.

Woo without doing anything at all save in a new slot generated the corrupted save case, that's something rather weird. But I think that's very close to the point I can't put my finger on. It's like it's related to new slot save but I checked and it's not, or that override a save was avoiding the bug but I checked and it's not that simple. In all cases it's a relatively new save slot, but I can't pinpoint how avoid it. Now the bug is too frequent and I try force myself not finish a play session without starting a new mission so my last save is in a mission. But that's heavy.
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)
tracktwo
Long War Dev

Post by tracktwo »

Unfortunately the save/load code is not something that is exposed to modders, so there isn't anything we can directly change there. We have seen a Mac-specific crash bug in LW2 1.3 that didn't crash on Windows, but none of the LW2 devs have macs and AFAIK all the internal playtesters are on Windows so it's hard for us to find these mac-specific issues. If there is something we are putting in the save file that crashes on the Mac but works fine on Windows it's going to be pretty tough for us to track down unless you can track down exactly what steps cause it. If you can send me a link to one of the corrupted saves to see if it loads properly on Windows that might be a start, it might tell us if it's the saving code or the loading code that's causing the problem.
Zork

Post by Zork »

That's why I submitted the bug to Mac dev first, but I suppose they didn't sign for fixing bugs related to any mod even semi official, if so I can't reproach them not have answer.

There's no chance I pinpoint the real cause except if Im' going to dev myself LW2, which is a non option. What I can pinpoint is how trigger or avoid the bug, but as you have zero Mac testing it won't be useful. So my only chance is pinpoint how avoid the bug to use it myself, because it became a heavy burden, each time I save I wonder if I save anything and what plays i could lost. At least missions aren't involved but the management can ber very heavy sometimes, moreover the random involves that if I replay a management part I could get totally different results and this can be quite frustrating.