XCOM 2 crashes near end of final mission (spoilers)

Bellbo

XCOM 2 crashes near end of final mission (spoilers)

Post by Bellbo »

1) The version of Long War you are playing.

2) The platform you are playing on.
PC

3) What other XCOM2 mods you are playing with.
None

4) The circumstances of the bug or precise steps to produce it.
I'm on the final mission, operation leviathan. I've noticed as the mission has progressed that the game has become more and more jerky, and my PC (i5-4460, 32GB, 1060Ti) usually runs the game at 1920 with maximum settings fluidly. I'm at the stage where the Avatar counter is on screen (I've killed 2 and have one left), and the aliens are teleporting in 1-2 waves per turn. The supplied save is a turn before the crash, on the turn of the crash even trying to save causes the game to crash. If you don't try to save and end turn, the aliens make their (many) moves, more reinforcements teleport in, then just before control is passed back to the player the game hangs and crashes and I get the familiar "Hello, Commander" crash report message. I've tried the .ini wipe and reverting the game back to vanilla. The game runs fluidly as normal if I load old saves on old missions. Loading an older save on the final mission still causes it to crash at the same point. Reducing settings to minimum doesn't seem to fix the jerkiness or remedy the crash. I would really appreciate it if someone could advise me on this, as I've spent literally ages on this legend game and to give up with one Avatar left would be awful.

5) Whether you are able to offer a savegame for us to look at.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fcj8noxktmqgdlx/save2?dl=0
Bellbo

Re: XCOM 2 crashes near end of final mission (spoilers)

Post by Bellbo »

I haven't found a solution to this, yet, but have noticed that the save files for the final mission are MUCH bigger than my others, and grow as the mission goes on. Is there a maximum file size for saves? When the saves hit ~19.5MB the game seems to crash whilst saving (auto or manual). I also have two solace psi ops on my squad, which I hear might contribute to the problem.
koso

Post by koso »

Just ran into the same situation and came to check the forums to see if anyone else was experiencing it.

I've run into the final room, activating the final pod. At the end of the turn, enemies teleport in, and as the game is returning control to me it crashes. Further, just trying to load the game and then save/exit results in a crash. I don't have saves to jump back to as I'm on ironman.

Also playing 1.2 on PC, several mods that I could list, but it appears to occur regardless, and I can offer up a save (along with the mod list) if the above save is insufficient. For whatever it's worth, my save size is also up there at ~17.1MB. No psi-ops unlike the above.

It's not a huge deal as I can just declare it a winner, but the end is so tantalizingly close.

Edit: Tried a few promising looking console commands to no avail. RestartLevel, RestartLevelWithSameSeed, and RestartLevelWithSeed [seed] all just hang the game. LWForceEvac does nothing--I assume because it's a no evac mission.
koso

Post by koso »

Bellbo wrote:I would really appreciate it if someone could advise me on this, as I've spent literally ages on this legend game and to give up with one Avatar left would be awful.
It's a cheesy route as I'd like to polish off the last of the alien scum fairly, but I've been able to force the ending with the console:
  • Enable the console by right clicking the game in steam and adding the launch option "-allowconsole".
  • Load up the final mission.
  • Move your cursor near a soldier and press "\" to bring up the console.
  • Type "dropunit AdvPsiWitchM3 1 false" and hit enter to spawn an avatar at the mouse location.
  • Hover over the avatar, bring up the console again, and type "sethp 1 0 1" to decrease avatar hp to 1.
  • Kill avatar.
Not the optimal route, but at least it'll bring some sense of closure to the campaign.
Bellbo

Post by Bellbo »

Thanks for explaining how to do that koso, at least the campaign isn't left unfinished any more.

I see the streamers have had issues with the final mission as well - xwynns had some fantastically bizarre things happen in his last video in particular. Hopefully this is one of many things to be fixed in 1.3.
Prophet

Post by Prophet »

It happened to me to. The crash is caused by the game saving, so the solution is to disable autosave.