Long war still unplayable

Whallop

Long war still unplayable

Post by Whallop »

So I downloaded Long War 2 (no other mods) and I'm getting crash on startup with error message "Pure virtual function being called while application was running (GisRunning == 1)" and before you ask, I've done all the steps from the troubleshoot page.

This is exactly the same problem I and many other people had with the Long War Perk mod and it persists with this update, there doesn't seem to be any solution (bare in mind this has been a problem for nearly a year) so my only guess is it's something that has to be done on your end.

Fingers crossed that this thread can bring some awareness and hopefully provide more information for people who can't use this mod because of the error.

Thanks
mattprice516
Long War 2 Crew

Re: Long war still unplayable

Post by mattprice516 »

So (and please humor me here) just to clarify, you have:

[*] Deleted your Config folder in My Docs and restarted the game to regen .ini files

[*] Removed all old save games from your save folder (make sure Steam cloud doesn't put them back)

[*] Verified XCOM 2 with Steam and then reinstalled LW2

[*] Uninstalled all mods except LW2 (this includes the other Pavonis mods) and tried to launch

?

Also, what system are you on?
Whallop

Post by Whallop »

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Also on PC, with all DLC and latest version of LongWar2.

Not just that, but I also reinstalled my game. This has been a problem since the LongWarPerk mod which previously didn't bother me because it was only one mod of many, but now having same issue with the LongWar2 mod.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Immediately after a crash, can you find the launch.log file (... \Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Logs) and post a link to it here?
Whallop

Post by Whallop »

Sure, here's the log
Attachments
Launchlogfile.rar
(24.62 KiB) Downloaded 683 times
MegaEdu13

Post by MegaEdu13 »

I'm following this, hopping for a solution. From what I see, we and some others are having the same issue.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

@OP We investigated this and determined your version of the base game is not updated to the latest patch, Changelist 234736, which we call "Patch 7." Long War 2 has no chance of working with your version of the game. Patch 7 should download automatically if you connect to Steam with a retail copy of the game.
Whallop

Post by Whallop »

Ah, I didn't know the game wasn't updated to the latest patch, I'll update and let you know whats going on! Thanks for the reply
Mesh2007

Post by Mesh2007 »

Also as a side note my game was doing this because of low ssd space only had about 3GB free.
It's when your machine is trying to grab the virtual memory and there is not enough free space. Try freeing up some hard drive space on your OS drive.
Pendrako

Post by Pendrako »

More of a Hardware issue here, really.
spirytusrektus

Post by spirytusrektus »

I have the same problem. Game usually crashes when processing enemy turn.

2 logs with different graphic settings:
Attachments
Logs.rar
(127.59 KiB) Downloaded 568 times
TheAshenHat

Post by TheAshenHat »

Just wondering if there is a fix for this? Getting this ~every 3 missions and it is starting to get annoying. I haven't found a mod conflict, and i have plenty of memory. Not sure what else to try.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

The fix for the OP's problem is updating XCOM 2 to the latest patch, so I'm not sure what you're referring to in particular.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

spirytusrektus wrote:I have the same problem. Game usually crashes when processing enemy turn.

So the key thing in your logs is "Rendering Thread Exception." These aren't things we understand very well and happen below the level we modded at. That isn't to say we're blameless in that we may have done something to break some rule we were unaware of, but there's not any kind of workaround or code we know to check when this happens -- it's rare and generally non-reproducible. I'd direct you to this thread regarding vanilla which might provide some help.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/268500/d ... 764198964/
serGregness

Post by serGregness »

johnnylump wrote:
spirytusrektus wrote:I have the same problem. Game usually crashes when processing enemy turn.

So the key thing in your logs is "Rendering Thread Exception." These aren't things we understand very well and happen below the level we modded at. That isn't to say we're blameless in that we may have done something to break some rule we were unaware of, but there's not any kind of workaround or code we know to check when this happens -- it's rare and generally non-reproducible. I'd direct you to this thread regarding vanilla which might provide some help.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/268500/d ... 764198964/
While I don't know if I'm having the exact same problem as spiry, it's definitely not been a rare occurrence for me. While I haven't been able to reproduce it on command, in two separate attempted campaigns (one of which is a completely 'clean' LW install following the steps on the troubleshooting page, with no other mods) the crashes start up in the early midgame (the logs I attached are from a haven defense in mid august) and from then on it seems to be something like a 20% chance at most of getting through a whole turn cycle without crashing.
Long War Bug Logs.rar
(191.74 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
I'm seeing the "Rendering Thread Exception" thing in my logs too, and signs seem to point to a hardware issue of some kind since unless my computer completely bluescreens (which seems to happen ~10% of the time) I get a desktop notification about my graphics driver having stopped and recovered, and immediately before the exception in the log file it's waiting for my GPU. This seems strange to me though, since I have a 650 ti which, while it doesn't crush the system requirements, is still comfortably within them. The base game runs great (I completed a vanilla campaign just before downloading LW2, and started another vanilla campaign after running into my problems with the mod. Both have run fine.), and one rash of crashes happened while I was trying to run a Faceless rendezvous mission, so it doesn't seem to be the bigger unit sizes.

I also found the dump files that XCOM sends to Firaxis (I assume), so I could send those to you somehow. They're fairly large though, so I can't attach them here.
Insufferable Smartypants

Post by Insufferable Smartypants »

I'm getting the same error, but it always happens after the 1st mission when flying back on the Skyranger. The "Press any button to continue" appears, the drop lights turn red, and I click the button and instead of the CGI sequence of the skyranger landing on top of the avenger, the monitor goes dark and I get the error.

This is with a fresh install of XCOM 2, no mods but LW2, and it didn't start happening until I updated to LW2 1.1 patch. I completely wiped everything XCOM 2 related and started over. Cleared out my documents/my games, etc. Hard drive has 500 gigs free. The fresh install should have updated to the latest version. I have no idea what else could be causing this.

I've tried to add the log file here but it keeps telling me that it's got an invalid file extension, even when I change the extension to a mere .txt file.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

@Insufferable. Put it in a zip or other archive.
Insufferable Smartypants

Huh.

The only way that could have worked is that you have a setting prohibiting txt file attachments. Interesting.
Attachments
Launch.7z
(126.36 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

There's also a size limit, which I just increased.

I'm checking on some of the stuff in the log, but I'd suggest a verify files on Steam.

Update: So it's acting like our custom XComGame.upk isn't swapped into the game when you start the mod. This is the same problem the Linux and Mac guys are having. This only works on its own if you are on PC and have the latest XCOM patch from Steam (which dropped in November). You might resub the mod and see if that helps; otherwise head over to the Mac-Linux thread for tips how to do it manually.
serGregness

Post by serGregness »

johnnylump wrote:There's also a size limit, which I just increased.

I'm checking on some of the stuff in the log, but I'd suggest a verify files on Steam.

Update: So it's acting like our custom XComGame.upk isn't swapped into the game when you start the mod. This is the same problem the Linux and Mac guys are having. This only works on its own if you are on PC and have the latest XCOM patch from Steam (which dropped in November). You might resub the mod and see if that helps; otherwise head over to the Mac-Linux thread for tips how to do it manually.
Is that for me or smartypants?
Insufferable Smartypants

Well if it wasn't for Smartypants, it resolved my crashes anyway. :D

Thanks JL!

EDIT: Specifically, copying over the UPK files is what made all the difference. Weird that I might have a MAC issue on Windows 10.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

Sorry, that was for Smartypants. I don't have any suggestions for yours (Ser Gregness) beyond what I posted regarding rendering thread exceptions. We can't do anything with dump files (FXS has the special software for them), but the next time we catch up with them we'll ask for suggestions.
serGregness

Post by serGregness »

johnnylump wrote:Sorry, that was for Smartypants. I don't have any suggestions for yours (Ser Gregness) beyond what I posted regarding rendering thread exceptions. We can't do anything with dump files (FXS has the special software for them), but the next time we catch up with them we'll ask for suggestions.
I was afraid of that, but thanks for getting back to me!

I guess I'll try opening a support ticket with 2k/Firaxis and if it goes anywhere I'll post the results here in case it helps anyone else. I know it's kind of a long shot, but I was having an absolute blast with your mod and I want to get back to it!