Assault class - how to effectively used them?

Share strategy and tips here.
Psieye

Re: Assault class - how to effectively used them?

Post by Psieye »

jorgen_cab wrote:a balance issue and one I happily handicap myself not to exploit the same why I try to avoid exploiting the combat AI where it usually derp out.
Quite agreed it's exploitation, also agreed it's a balance issue. Regarding the former, I believe that's the name of the game: to exploit the system that's intentionally designed to be imperfect so the player feels good for pulling off clever moves. Now, it just so happens XCOM 2's AI was designed with small-squad combat so fundamentally can't cope with platoon-level combat. That's the balance issue: it's more exploitable than it should be. We have different responses for this imbalance. I won't hold myself back - there's enough of that in RL (being mindful of people is hard work), I'm playing a computer game specifically so I don't have to hold back. If I had more motivation/time I'd rather be improving the code than playing deliberately suboptimally. It's another thing to be suboptimal for creativity but if it's just to derive basic enjoyment of the game then I should be playing another game.

Side note:
jorgen_cab wrote: a more dynamic roster that can take losses more readily as sustain heavy wounds on several soldiers without reducing my capacity to perform missions all that much. I still get a few top squads that are as good as they can be and then a few B/C squads.
You and I are doing the same thing: a wide roster that can handle reasonable casualties without significant loss of mission capacity. Provided I don't fuck up the strategy layer (like my last Commander campaign), the non-A-team guys are still going on missions and levelling normally. Albeit you include more variety in builds whereas I prefer diversity driven by AWC perks.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd