How is "hiding" being calculated ?

Share strategy and tips here.
WanWhiteWolf

How is "hiding" being calculated ?

Post by WanWhiteWolf »

I mostly looking for the answer of 2 questions:

.1. Is hiding affected by number of rebels?

If I assume it works the same as other jobs, it means that each hiding rebel will add a day-drop in a bucket. The more drops you have , the more % chance you get to get the bonus - in this case reduce Vigilance.

Which brings me to the second question:

.2. How many rebel-days do I need to statistically reduce 1 point of Vigilance?

...or... from an economy point of view: how many supplies does it cost to reduce 1 point of Vigilance?
fowlJ

Re: How is "hiding" being calculated ?

Post by fowlJ »

Hiding isn't a job like the other ones - it's essentially pretending that the rebel does not exist, meaning that a haven with 4 working rebels and 4 hiding rebels is the same as a haven with 4 rebels working and none hiding.

I believe Vigilance reduction is once every 7 days when there are 9 rebels working - faster if there are less (either because they are hiding or because there aren't that many rebels in the first place), slower if there are more. I can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, unfortunately.
WanWhiteWolf

Post by WanWhiteWolf »

fowlJ wrote:Hiding isn't a job like the other ones - it's essentially pretending that the rebel does not exist, meaning that a haven with 4 working rebels and 4 hiding rebels is the same as a haven with 4 rebels working and none hiding.

I believe Vigilance reduction is once every 7 days when there are 9 rebels working - faster if there are less (either because they are hiding or because there aren't that many rebels in the first place), slower if there are more. I can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, unfortunately.
If that's the way it works, then it's weak for full heavens since a heaven with 4 rebels on hiding has the same effect as a 13 rebel heaven with rebels on hiding.

So it's simply better to go full supply and take the retaliation when it comes.
Antifringe

Post by Antifringe »

WanWhiteWolf wrote:
fowlJ wrote:Hiding isn't a job like the other ones - it's essentially pretending that the rebel does not exist, meaning that a haven with 4 working rebels and 4 hiding rebels is the same as a haven with 4 rebels working and none hiding.

If that's the way it works, then it's weak for full heavens since a heaven with 4 rebels on hiding has the same effect as a 13 rebel heaven with rebels on hiding.

Hiding was never supposed to be a "real" job, and it still isn't. It's just a null state where the rebel effectively stops existing for a while. It has become more useful since vigilance decay now scales with the inverse of effective haven population, but it's still very niche. If you aren't playing with the mod that reveals vigilance values, and if you don't also have a strong understanding of the GOps mission spawning rules (which we were never really expected to know), then I don't recommend using the hiding job, ever.

I don't think hiding was ever really intended to be a full-fledged feature that would be co-equal to the other jobs. I think it's more that they made this system, then realized that some people might be annoyed that having bigger haven populations is (ever so slightly) double edged, so they went ahead and added in a special null state, because hey, why not?
WanWhiteWolf

Post by WanWhiteWolf »

Antifringe wrote:
WanWhiteWolf wrote:

Hiding was never supposed to be a "real" job, and it still isn't. It's just a null state where the rebel effectively stops existing for a while. It has become more useful since vigilance decay now scales with the inverse of effective haven population, but it's still very niche. If you aren't playing with the mod that reveals vigilance values, and if you don't also have a strong understanding of the GOps mission spawning rules (which we were never really expected to know), then I don't recommend using the hiding job, ever.

I don't think hiding was ever really intended to be a full-fledged feature that would be co-equal to the other jobs. I think it's more that they made this system, then realized that some people might be annoyed that having bigger haven populations is (ever so slightly) double edged, so they went ahead and added in a special null state, because hey, why not?
I understand but the way I see it ...it's poorly implemented.

The only tool available to reduce vigilance brings you a significant penalty. Except for some very specific scenarios, it's pretty useless / mostly a strategical mistake to use it.

I would prefer to "have options", rather than "this is the way you have to do it".
llll BlackFlag

Post by llll BlackFlag »

Hiding can be a useful mechanic. I don't use hiding on very small or very large havens. In large havens I'm either working on liberating the region or maintaining a high strength to produce troop columns (intel focus, some supply and recruit mixed in). I put small havens on full intel when I have 3-4 total havens. When I expand to 5-6 havens, the small havens are either full recruit or a mix of recruit and intel. The mid game is prime time for cycling hiding once you have 5-6 havens online. During this time I'll hang out and do a lot of missions at one mid sized haven while scanning on full intel. After I've spiked vigilance I'll switch everyone to hiding and move to another mid-sized haven to do the same thing. This allows for a hot/cold cycling of mid-sized regions instead of slowly increasing strength in all regions simultaneously. In my current campaign this has allowed me to get a steady flow of missions without the global strength skyrocketing.