Invasion to liberated region

Share strategy and tips here.
vohich

Invasion to liberated region

Post by vohich »

Guys, I am again in trouble. Everything was going pretty good and I was ready to switch from C/I to L/I, contacted almost all regions, liberated 2 regions, got mag weapons, equipped some guys by EXO suits, started infiltrating black site and psi gates from codex brains. My 2 liberated regions have 5 hiding guys each btw.

I decided to ignore supply raid one day at liberated region (feeling quiet comfortable myself with 5 guys hiding this region ftom eyes of Advent) as my main forces were preparing to important missions to slow down Avatar project.

Now I face invasion mission against Advent not to lose liberated region. First 4 turns were doable, but then they started to send reinforcements every turn and I quited the game to analyze what to do: save my wounded guys and evac or fight to the death? In any case I am pretty sure I am going to lose that region...

How to avoid these invasions in future?

Accept supply raids not to make advent stronger before invasion?

Or put 10 guys on hiding to protect liberated region?

I find this kind of missions really complicated and wanna avoid them in future

Thank you in advance for help. My heart wont be ready to restart LW2 ninth time if I lose this campaign
Psieye

Re: Invasion to liberated region

Post by Psieye »

vohich wrote:5 guys hiding this region ftom eyes of Advent
Wait, what? If I'm reading this right, you've misunderstood what the Hiding job does. It's not "rebels are actively doing camouflage work to make it harder for Advent to see this region's activities". It's "rebels doing nothing so Advent thinks this region has less rebels than there actually are". Doesn't matter what your rebels are doing, Advent knows your region is liberated and wants to 'fix' that. The only reason you should have any hiding rebels in a liberated region is if you have more than 13 so they literatelly can't do an active job.

Invasions require a neighbouring province to have 8 Str. I've never experienced one myself as I've never let a region get that high if it's near a liberated region. As such, I can't comment if that 'supply raid' was actually the precursor mission to the invasion.

As for your current situation: do you really need that region to stay liberated to win? It's sad to be setback but what matters is that you have your good soldiers and gear. It sounds like you're making good progress on the Golden Path. In other words you're at the point where the only things that matter is your soldier availability and the Avatar timer.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Well, first thing I do to avoid them is to try to avoid raising vigilance on the neighboring regions. If you were doing tons of missions on a neighboring region, the liberation is a good time to stop and start hiding everything. Move to other regions that aren't adjacent and start working those. If one of those regions is getting close to 8, start doing missions on the regions around that one, so that vigilance goes up and ADVENT moves the legions out of the invasion region.

If you can't stop ADVENT from starting the invasion, then start thinking about the team you're gonna send. A burst damage team (grenadiers, assaults, SPARKs, EXOs) works much better than your OW-and-Snipe teams, because you want to clean up as many of the ground pods as quickly as you can and get close to the beacon before RNF overwhelm you.

The other option is to just let the region go. You got the Liberation loot, plus more than a month of full supplies. Not bad.
vohich

Post by vohich »

I have lost that region already dude with half of my "spare" team;(

I did not need that region for victory, but it was quiet useful with 16 resistanse guys gathering intel and supply (except 5 specialized in hiding)

Now I am attacking my first black site and in a week my team B will attack psi gates

Only thing that made me sad - bug with unlimited reinforcements

And thank you for support and advice

I really was naivi trying to hide liberated region lol
Psieye wrote:
vohich wrote:5 guys hiding this region ftom eyes of Advent
Wait, what? If I'm reading this right, you've misunderstood what the Hiding job does. It's not "rebels are actively doing camouflage work to make it harder for Advent to see this region's activities". It's "rebels doing nothing so Advent thinks this region has less rebels than there actually are". Doesn't matter what your rebels are doing, Advent knows your region is liberated and wants to 'fix' that. The only reason you should have any hiding rebels in a liberated region is if you have more than 13 so they literatelly can't do an active job.

Invasions require a neighbouring province to have 8 Str. I've never experienced one myself as I've never let a region get that high if it's near a liberated region. As such, I can't comment if that 'supply raid' was actually the precursor mission to the invasion.

As for your current situation: do you really need that region to stay liberated to win? It's sad to be setback but what matters is that you have your good soldiers and gear. It sounds like you're making good progress on the Golden Path. In other words you're at the point where the only things that matter is your soldier availability and the Avatar timer.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

vohich wrote: Only thing that made me sad - bug with unlimited reinforcements
Working as intended. Kill the alien beacon to switch off reinforcements.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
vohich

Post by vohich »

Thanks, mate. Will slow down my operations around my remaining liberated region till successful black site and psi gates missions

Really helpful!

Reason I lost that one was in contacting new region with Advent strengh 8 whereas other satellites were with 3-4

Its a pity I got this peace of info just now because of reinforcements bug

Thank you once again

Dwarfling wrote:Well, first thing I do to avoid them is to try to avoid raising vigilance on the neighboring regions. If you were doing tons of missions on a neighboring region, the liberation is a good time to stop and start hiding everything. Move to other regions that aren't adjacent and start working those. If one of those regions is getting close to 8, start doing missions on the regions around that one, so that vigilance goes up and ADVENT moves the legions out of the invasion region.

If you can't stop ADVENT from starting the invasion, then start thinking about the team you're gonna send. A burst damage team (grenadiers, assaults, SPARKs, EXOs) works much better than your OW-and-Snipe teams, because you want to clean up as many of the ground pods as quickly as you can and get close to the beacon before RNF overwhelm you.

The other option is to just let the region go. You got the Liberation loot, plus more than a month of full supplies. Not bad.
vohich

Post by vohich »

Good advice, but it is too late. I lost it

Also it was mission impossible for my "spare" squad to move towards beacon through sectopod, chryssalids, archons and centurions in a company of unlimited reinforcements

Thanks man

Psieye wrote:
vohich wrote: Only thing that made me sad - bug with unlimited reinforcements
Working as intended. Kill the alien beacon to switch off reinforcements.
WanWhiteWolf

Post by WanWhiteWolf »

I am not sure if it's a bug or feature but I can always snipe the relay across the map.

As soon as the first RNF drops, you get relay vision with the sniper. After you take the relay, you have a standard retaliation. You will still lose half the rebeles but you won't be losing the region.

Without this "trick", I would probably save the rocket. From what I've seen, the relay is always on a roof and blowing that will destroy it the relay as well. I usually go 1 Assault + 3 technicals + 2 rangers + 1 snipper + officer

Kubikiri Sniper for big enemies. Pretty much burn / nuke everything. Rangers to finish up enemies standing in the open.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

I've gotten beacons inside buildings, so it's not a sure thing. Still, it's not like you won't take a Sharpshooter on this mission.
vohich

Post by vohich »

How many sniper shots do you need to crash beacon?

Tech guys accuracy is not the best among others, so it is risky to send rockets from big distance
WanWhiteWolf wrote:I am not sure if it's a bug or feature but I can always snipe the relay across the map.

As soon as the first RNF drops, you get relay vision with the sniper. After you take the relay, you have a standard retaliation. You will still lose half the rebeles but you won't be losing the region.

Without this "trick", I would probably save the rocket. From what I've seen, the relay is always on a roof and blowing that will destroy it the relay as well. I usually go 1 Assault + 3 technicals + 2 rangers + 1 snipper + officer

Kubikiri Sniper for big enemies. Pretty much burn / nuke everything. Rangers to finish up enemies standing in the open.
WanWhiteWolf

Post by WanWhiteWolf »

vohich wrote:How many sniper shots do you need to crash beacon?

Tech guys accuracy is not the best among others, so it is risky to send rockets from big distance
WanWhiteWolf wrote:I am not sure if it's a bug or feature but I can always snipe the relay across the map.

You can use Guided Missile (Heavy Suit amo). That thing hits across the map as well. My plan was to use a scanner + guided missile for the Relay but the Sniper took it early.

With Plasma you need something like 2 hits with a MSGT AMF Snipper. I even 1-shootted once with DeadEye + crit (doesn't show crit but the relay has something like 35-40 HP ; so I assume that's the case) I only had invasions late game so I cannot comment on early tech scenarios.