Laboratories are they worth it?

Share strategy and tips here.
thekingsraven

Laboratories are they worth it?

Post by thekingsraven »

Just a simple question, should I build a laboratory and if so when is a good time?
Dwarfling

Re: Laboratories are they worth it?

Post by Dwarfling »

I usually get one with the cash inflow after I liberate my first region. You basically get some cheap scientists, that's always good.
trihero

Post by trihero »

More worth it on higher difficulties, since scientists get expensive to buy from the black market but each lab slot you purchase is essentially $50 per extra scientist (not accounting for the power cost, which you can delete by putting the lab on a power coil).

When? To me, some time after most of my basic troops have some basic upgrades like laser weapons/some predator armors floating around. Sorry I can't give you a firm date but games play out differently; the point is you need to get spend some supplies on some early upgrades on your troops to stay on par with advent tech, but then you can invest in the future a little bit before having to upgrade your guys again.
wei270

Post by wei270 »

agree. the relation you should look at how much your scientist cost you, price goes up as time passes. vs how much power and lab upgrade cost you.

i don;t want to go in to math here but first 3 month where scientist is cheaper especially in lower difficult go to buy scienctist.
if you have the money investing the power and full lab upgrade it is generally FAR more cash efficient then buying scientist 4. as each scientist in lab is roughtly = 2 scientist