Rendezvous missions

Share strategy and tips here.
Jacke

Rendezvous missions

Post by Jacke »

You know how you drop in a Squaddie as Haven Advisor after coming back from Gatecrasher, not expecting them to find anything and not having to worry about facing the Faceless for a while, until you've got a good soldier in there.

Legendary campaign. Resistance Comms and expanded to two zones and off goes another Squaddie. Derp, de derp, de derp, ....

Rendezvous in my first zone. Security breach! It's March 12!!!

And I've got a Squaddie Ranger and 4 resistance fighters, 2 rifles, and 2 SMG's.

So started creeping across the map. Locating the enemy.

Was a few turns into the mission when I remembered I had a strength of 6 in that zone. 2 Faceless ?!?

Turns out it was just one. And two pods, an static one with an ADVENT Officer and a Trooper and a roaming pod farther away with an Officer, Sentry, and Trooper.

There was a convenient 2-story building just in range of the unchanged Faceless where I could set up my Ranger and the two Riflemen as a firebase. The two SMG troops scouted the WHOLE map, then moved back onto the flanks of my building. Pulled back to leave just the Faceless in sight, then the firebase took him out in 3 shots. Ranger to overwatch.

The 2-pod came in and the Officer got shot. The Trooper must have had a damn good luck charm 'cause several shots at around 50% all missed. SMG troop grenaded him down to 1hp. Then the meanwhile the Officer was killed. Still took 2 or 3 shots to kill that 1hp Trooper. Dropped loot which was grabbed.

Reload and overwatch. After a turn or two the 3-pod conveniently wandered into range. Reaction fire killed the Sentry and the Trooper. The Officer was winged and he went to cover and hunkered down. Other SMG troop came up and grenaded him, blowing up his flimsy cover. Then the Ranger finished him off with a burst. And 2 more loot.

30 turns. But it was FLAWLESS. :)
trihero

Re: Rendezvous missions

Post by trihero »

Yeah I noticed that too if you put a squaddie right after gatecrasher you trigger a rendezvous even though the code suggests squaddies have no ability to detect faceless. Oh well, a free rendezvous mission is good, get rid of stupid faceless and get some corpes/loots.
ebonyknight

Post by ebonyknight »

I was wondering about that. Read that in the Archives, but had a rendezvous anyway. Lost two of my 5 rebels. Wasn't prepared. I had no problem with Vanilla, even had even less problems with timers, but my tactics need an overhaul in this game.
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

ebonyknight wrote:... my tactics need an overhaul in this game.
Yup, that's Long War for you :)
Devon_v
Long War EU Crew

Post by Devon_v »

Huh. I thought I just had crazy lucky RNG.