Question regarding reducing Advent Strength

Share strategy and tips here.
jztemple

Question regarding reducing Advent Strength

Post by jztemple »

I attacked an Advent column and the Advent Strength in my region went from 4 to 2. I'm just wondering if that is a halving of the previous value or just a -2 effect. The question becomes more pertinent when talking about Advent Strengths of 6 or 7. Thanks!
trihero

Re: Question regarding reducing Advent Strength

Post by trihero »

It's -2, not halving. Source: me in the later game hitting level 5+ strengths doesn't halve it.
jztemple

Post by jztemple »

trihero wrote:It's -2, not halving. Source: me in the later game hitting level 5+ strengths doesn't halve it.
Thanks, it's a bit of knowledge to keep in my back pocket. I have noticed the difference in the types of aliens I've met at AS4 versus AS2. Strength Two doesn't scare me as much :?
trihero

Post by trihero »

jztemple wrote:
trihero wrote:It's -2, not halving. Source: me in the later game hitting level 5+ strengths doesn't halve it.
Thanks, it's a bit of knowledge to keep in my back pocket. I have noticed the difference in the types of aliens I've met at AS4 versus AS2. Strength Two doesn't scare me as much :?
I'm not entirely sure if/how advent strength affects type of troops. There is a lurking/confounding factor which is that simply as time goes on, different types of aliens appear regardless of advent strength level. For sure advent strength affects sizes of squads.

Advent strength gets particularly relevant as you contact/liberate more regions, because their global strength keeps going up over time so the minimum strength in all remaining regions goes up and they stack strength very very quickly in regions you activate. But for the early game it's pretty chillax.

PSA: don't liberate 16/16 regions, it activates invasions on every single haven on your amp :shock: :shock: :shock:
oblivion-ip

Post by oblivion-ip »

Does someone know how to reliably reduce Advent Strength in a region? I tried doing missions there and I've put all resistance personal on "hiding" but since i did that the AS increased from 6 to 9.

I'm doing lots of missions in other regions but in this one it does not seem to go down anymore.
trihero

Post by trihero »

oblivion-ip wrote:Does someone know how to reliably reduce Advent Strength in a region? I tried doing missions there and I've put all resistance personal on "hiding" but since i did that the AS increased from 6 to 9.

I'm doing lots of missions in other regions but in this one it does not seem to go down anymore.
Unfortunately, the only reliable method is liberation.

In the early game you can sometimes hide/move to another region, but other than that you have to rely on luck to find either get advent's attention from a neighbor region, or supply raids (which doesn't reduce strength, but keeps it from going up), or the rare troop column ambush. At some point in the game there's just not much you can really do about it except go balls to the walls and finish up the liberation, or bite the bullet and let them have their way with that region. (if they win a retaliation against that haven, you won't lose contact with the region but your personnel will go to 0 and advent strength will NOT be set to 1, I don't know what the value is but it depends on the stage of the game)
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

Question: Does this -2 apply to the net strength of Advent globally, or is simply a displacement of 2 strength points from one region to another?
Amineri

Post by Amineri »

NephilimNexus wrote:Question: Does this -2 apply to the net strength of Advent globally, or is simply a displacement of 2 strength points from one region to another?
This is a reduction in the regional strength, not a transfer, so it should globally reduce strength.
trihero

Post by trihero »

Practically speaking global strength goes up over time anyways, so sooner or later you will guaranteed fight high levels of advent strength. I don't think there's much point in trying to hem and haw about reducing advent strength, especially since as the game goes on hiding doesn't do much to reduce it as you've seen first hand. In fact, going into hiding means you can't find counter-missions since those require intel to see.