The worst yellow alert activation

JohnnyPureMoney

The worst yellow alert activation

Post by JohnnyPureMoney »

So I am on a typical extremely light destroy the relay mission. I positioned my sniper on a house across and down the street from the relay house. I then moved my other concealed soldiers towards the relay house. I killed the first pod of 3 without using grenades or rockets just rifles and a flame thrower. I then proceed to destroy the relay while I waiting for the other 2 pods to show up. BTW, the sniper never shot at the relay since she did not have line of sight from elevation. All my soldiers except for the sniper are surrounding the house with the relay.

The second pod finally shows up on the far side of the relay house only after the relay has been destroyed. The sectoid get killed to overwatch and the grenadier and trooper take cover. No problem.

On the same turn, The third pod of 3 sentries start to climb the drain pipe behind my sniper. I had no idea they were there. Sniper was in the middle of the roof so they had no direct line of sight to the sniper until they decided to climb the drain pipe. My sniper who was on overwatch (since she did not have a stock) shoots and kills the first sentry as soon as he gets to the roof level. The second sentry then proceeds to climb the pipe take cover, shoot my flanked sniper for half her hit points and ablative armor. The third sentry then climbs the pipe, takes cover and kills my sniper without bleed out. Of course, after they do this they both go on overwatch.

My question is why should the sentries get any high alert actions. There was no gun fire, explosions, bodies, or disturbed civilians on that part of the map. Did the body of their own pod member make them get actions. If so, why is this part of the LW2 mod? Do you think this is fair?
Dwarfling

Re: The worst yellow alert activation

Post by Dwarfling »

I've seen something like that before during Smash & Grab missions, where I activate the first pod with an overwatch and suddenly the other members of the pod get yellow alert actions. Maybe it has something to do with the kill changing the alert of the rest of the pod, I dunno. In your case it's even harder to tell because maybe the group were actually in yellow alert from seeing or hearing something and they did a flank mission instead of rushing your location or doing defend objective. I also think the completion of the objective puts the other pods in yellow alert but I'm not sure.
DerAva

Post by DerAva »

Was the relay destroyed at that point? I'm fairly certain all enemies go into yellow alert mode if the objective is completed.
tarkalak

Post by tarkalak »

When you complete the objective (whatever it is) all pods are alerted and converge on the (former) objective. You were really unlucky with the pod sneaking behind you.

It is also possible that they got activated from previous gunfire and decided to make a wild flanking maneuver ending behind your sniper.
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

Some decent scouting beforehand would have eliminated this threat. This isn't a LW2 problem. It's a tactics problem.