How long until you moved on?

SpinDoctor

Re: How long until you moved on?

Post by SpinDoctor »

Dwarfling wrote:I'm back in business since december. My ISP has gone to crap (I'm from Venezuela, go figure) and I got tired to losing Starcraft 2 games just because disconnects.

So far I did a bronzeman Legend that felt like won and cut it short. Then I took a Legend Ironman one up to August but I got too greedy and did a training mission with Mag and Laser weapons against what turned out to be an Archon, a bunch of snakes and a final pod of mutons (centurion+2xregular) on high ground, with a heavy turret that I just couldn't kill on time. I could have perfectly continued, but I felt so bummed out about losing all those guys (weren't even that great) that I thought I could do better starting over. I also think I got too lucky of a start with 4 scientists (3+1 from BM) in march.

Now I'm on a new one. It's mid april, I got 4 scientists (2+2), but I'm barely starting Adv Laser so it feels more fair. I discovered however that the Evac All mod lets you cheat panic at the evac zone and extracts them all anyways. Now I dunno how I feel about this campaign seeing as I like to keep it as clean as possible.
Honestly, how often are you gonna see someone panic in an evac zone? I'd imagine that if you're about to evac and someone beside you comes unglued, you just grab them and go. It's not like you would leave them behind. It's a mechanic I can easily live with. Evac All is too good to give away just for that rare, off hand occurrence.

Anyway, I have a campaign going that, like you, feels won, so I'm gonna try Legendary in earnest. I did try it last campaign but it was so hard that I backed it down to Commander. It just wasn't fun to me at the time.

You had 4 scientists in March? Nice. Hell it takes me half the game to get that many. What's BM? Do you mean Basic Research?
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

SpinDoctor wrote:What's BM? Do you mean Basic Research?
Black Market. After I get my first rescued scientist I like to buy one, while they're cheap. 2 if I'm not getting rescues and I got cash from Smash&Grabs and excavations. Unless I'm super strapped for supplies, but I don't mind delaying workshop-proving-AWC for faster Laser and Mag weapons, as facing MECs, Vipers and Mutons on a regular basis with just ballistics will cost you more in terms of wounds and deaths.
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

Dwarfling wrote:
SpinDoctor wrote:What's BM? Do you mean Basic Research?
Black Market. After I get my first rescued scientist I like to buy one, while they're cheap. 2 if I'm not getting rescues and I got cash from Smash&Grabs and excavations. Unless I'm super strapped for supplies, but I don't mind delaying workshop-proving-AWC for faster Laser and Mag weapons, as facing MECs, Vipers and Mutons on a regular basis with just ballistics will cost you more in terms of wounds and deaths.
Ahh ok.I should have thought of that. I started my new campaign last night. Kinda hated to see the old one go, as I was kinda attached to those guys, but hey, time for a new thing. It's mid March in mine and I have 2 scientists, one purchased from the Market. I always do Basic Research first thing. In some ways it feels like wasted time, but the consensus is that it pays off in the long run so I just go with it. I'm getting pretty mediocre missions so far except for the one Scientist extraction. Just a bunch of Lib 1's and a Technical extraction which I ignored since I'm not that into Technicals. I guess they make decent Haven Advisors. Honestly I'm just not that good with them since their ability to do CC is so RNG based.

Last campaign I skipped Adv Lasers for the first time ever to try for a mini Mag rush and it seemed to work well. I won't do a full mag rush since the aim boost from lasers can help build your guys up. I'll probably do that again.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

https://i.postimg.cc/wMbyQMWb/1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/HWSygvp4/2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZKCyKPnk/3.jpg

Think I'm done for a while. Late-lategame isn't that enjoyable because you are kinda forced into compositions that can deal with Super Heavy MECs and 26hp Elite Officers. Muton Elites, ugh. And the last two missions were a real pain in the ass to get thru. Final Radio Tower crashed each turn until I cleaned up the clusters of enemies. Waterworld got incredibly choppy with so much debris. Took me like 4 hours.
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

Dwarfling wrote:https://i.postimg.cc/wMbyQMWb/1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/HWSygvp4/2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/ZKCyKPnk/3.jpg

Think I'm done for a while. Late-lategame isn't that enjoyable because you are kinda forced into compositions that can deal with Super Heavy MECs and 26hp Elite Officers. Muton Elites, ugh. And the last two missions were a real pain in the ass to get thru. Final Radio Tower crashed each turn until I cleaned up the clusters of enemies. Waterworld got incredibly choppy with so much debris. Took me like 4 hours.
Nice work man! You gaming anything new lately?
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

SpinDoctor wrote:Nice work man! You gaming anything new lately?
Sunless Skies, but I stopped to see if they do something to change travel speeds because it becomes a real drag to travel around the world.

Also I'm trying to Civ6 Gathering Storm to see if they did something about the mediocre AI that can't seem to be able to play the game properly.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Wow. Just logged in tonight to see how things are. The number of people still playing Long War 2 speaks for its quality. I never got very far in any of my campaigns, but the nature of it seemed right to me.

I'm tempted to try it again. Of course, the shear size of XCOM 2 (now very large since it's two games with WotC) kind of makes it a pain to install. I think it's about 80GB and I just don't have that much free space right now. And I don't want to remove other games right now. Maybe later.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Jacke wrote:I think it's about 80GB and I just don't have that much free space right now. And I don't want to remove other games right now. Maybe later.
You can move the WotC folder somewhere else if you're not gonna use it. That's what I did, 38gb less on my SDD.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Dwarfling wrote:
Jacke wrote:I think it's about 80GB and I just don't have that much free space right now. And I don't want to remove other games right now. Maybe later.
You can move the WotC folder somewhere else if you're not gonna use it. That's what I did, 38gb less on my SDD.
I only have the one hard drive in use. And I'd still need to free that much space to install it no matter what I did with the install afterwards.

I've got other things holding my interest right now. Just have a passing interesting in seeing what's up with XCOM 2 and LW2.
semisemite

Post by semisemite »

SpinDoctor wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:36 pm Anything else out there worth playing? Not Xenonauts... That game is way too ugly to bear.
Hey! I'm in that game...

And it's amazing. Might not be AAA graphics or anything, but it's absurdly good. Closest thing to the original X-Com that's been made - and it's pretty damn close.
suavid

Post by suavid »

I keep wandering off to play other games every now and again, but soon return after seeing how shallow the tactics and strategy are compared to Long war 2