TIL Blacksite has an absolute RNF timer

gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

TIL Blacksite has an absolute RNF timer

Post by gimrah »

So I thought the RNFs start dropping when you grab the vial - and they do. But it turns out they ALSO drop after a certain amount of time after losing concealment, just like a GOp.

I was crushing the mission, having taken my sweet sweet time. Nothing on the map gave me an issue. And then just before I got to the vial... every turn. Pods of 5, 6, 8, 10. Plus extra ones when I got the vial.

I somehow got the vial out but I lost 2 of my best. I had to fight my way out and killed a lot of them but there were still 30+ enemies active when I bugged out. This was after killing everything on the map and a lot of the rnfs.

I though about replaying the mission but I went into the geoscape before reloading like a doofus and thus lost my autosave. If you didn't know this already, you have now been warned...
SpinDoctor

Re: TIL Blacksite has an absolute RNF timer

Post by SpinDoctor »

gimrah wrote:So I thought the RNFs start dropping when you grab the vial - and they do. But it turns out they ALSO drop after a certain amount of time after losing concealment, just like a GOp.

I was crushing the mission, having taken my sweet sweet time. Nothing on the map gave me an issue. And then just before I got to the vial... every turn. Pods of 5, 6, 8, 10. Plus extra ones when I got the vial.

I somehow got the vial out but I lost 2 of my best. I had to fight my way out and killed a lot of them but there were still 30+ enemies active when I bugged out. This was after killing everything on the map and a lot of the rnfs.

I though about replaying the mission but I went into the geoscape before reloading like a doofus and thus lost my autosave. If you didn't know this already, you have now been warned...
I don't recall the mission being very intense my game. But I got the Blacksite location really pretty early. It seemed kinda easy if I remember correctly. Not like the over-the-top crap I'm dealing with now...
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Once you know how the mission works it's easier to formulate a plan. This game loves to abuse you with these kind of surprises tho.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

Meant this as PSA. It's easy provided you realise you don't have infinite time. If the rnfs start dropping before you get the vial it could easily be campaign ending, as it nearly was for me.
RookieAutopsy

Post by RookieAutopsy »

I also found the same with the Forge. RNFs starting dropping before I even got the suit.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

RookieAutopsy wrote:I also found the same with the Forge. RNFs starting dropping before I even got the suit.
Good to know. I'm hoping to max out my hacking by then, grab myself a sectopod and rampage forward at speed...
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

RookieAutopsy wrote:I also found the same with the Forge. RNFs starting dropping before I even got the suit.
I just finished the Forge and I didn't get a single RNF. I was running for my life, but the RNF notifier never changed from Green. It might be because I'm playing on Veteran or maybe you have the Rapid Response DE active?
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

I think they are quite long timers. You only have an issue if you OW camp for days. But if you think the rnfs only drop when you hit the objective (as I did) you will OW camp for days and may get caught out.
Kyendob

Post by Kyendob »

Once you know how the mission works it's easier to formulate a plan. This game loves to abuse you with these kind of surprises tho.