Is This Campaign Normal?

gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Re: Is This Campaign Normal?

Post by gimrah »

The squad thing was a nice idea but frankly I ignore it. I choose soldiers based on who's available and the mission type.

Officers are great but not for squad bonuses. The perks can be quite powerful. Command, Oscar Mike, Incoming are all great - and available early.

Cham suits are like suppressors. Mostly you don't need to bother but when you need to squeeze in another soldier on that Lib2, supply raid or UFO detection mission, they can make a disproportionate difference. However personally I don't bother with cham suits though. Alsovgradecraft perk I find underwhelming. The officer one is good though because the opportunity cost is minimal.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

SpinDoctor wrote: "Min/Maxing" I've seen this term a lot. What does it mean?
I think the term comes from D&D, where you'd build really lopsided characters who were good at their designated role and made sure all their weaknesses didn't matter. "Powergaming" is another way to say it. Making the most of every single advantage, mitigating every single disadvantage. Some would say it's "too gamey" to abuse the design that far.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

Psieye wrote:
SpinDoctor wrote: "Min/Maxing" I've seen this term a lot. What does it mean?
I think the term comes from D&D, where you'd build really lopsided characters who were good at their designated role and made sure all their weaknesses didn't matter. "Powergaming" is another way to say it. Making the most of every single advantage, mitigating every single disadvantage. Some would say it's "too gamey" to abuse the design that far.
OK thanks!
SpinDoctor

Post by SpinDoctor »

gimrah wrote:The squad thing was a nice idea but frankly I ignore it. I choose soldiers based on who's available and the mission type.

Officers are great but not for squad bonuses. The perks can be quite powerful. Command, Oscar Mike, Incoming are all great - and available early.

Cham suits are like suppressors. Mostly you don't need to bother but when you need to squeeze in another soldier on that Lib2, supply raid or UFO detection mission, they can make a disproportionate difference. However personally I don't bother with cham suits though. Alsovgradecraft perk I find underwhelming. The officer one is good though because the opportunity cost is minimal.
I love the squad setup. All of mine are balanced the same Unit wise, Able Baker Charlie and Delta, but they are graded by stats/rank and ability. Honestly the 1st 3 squads can run any mission, but for a tough mission? Click Able. EX Light? Click Delta. But even the weaker squads have some high level guys. Then I can mix and match depending on who's available. I strive to run my missions so that Advent never gets to shoot, so my casualties are generally light or none at all.