Does anyone else train a bunch of suicide Shinobies?

Unfawkable

Does anyone else train a bunch of suicide Shinobies?

Post by Unfawkable »

I always have a reserve of 2 rookie shinobies past mid game (And extra stun lancer blades since some VIPs don't die to regular ones) to chop VIPs head off in elimination missions from afar while concealed. I do this when I can't afford to send a full squad (or when I just can't bother) and when I really need/like the mission rewards (not including the VIP extraction one).
Psieye

Re: Does anyone else train a bunch of suicide Shinobies?

Post by Psieye »

I've actually contemplated how to get the solo shinobi out alive afterwards, concluding I'd want Wraith suit and Reaper + Hit&Run. I've never had a campaign go long enough to try it out.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Those missions don't seem to pop up enough by late game, at least for me. Maybe because I'm not doing lib chains anymore and Counter-DE seems to pop more as hacks and destroy relay. I do train some squaddie Shinobis late game along with Grenadiers because it's easy for them to be filler for some missions. I don't miss them if they end up dying but I'm not sending them to their deaths either.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

Killing Shinobi is a Sin.
Killing rookie is a Sin.
Killing A-team in hard fight- approved.
Military court for Commander - approved.
Judgment - 40 years of hard labor .
The Preacher
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

It probably is optimal late game. Rookies are cheap and the GTS slots aren't doing anything else.

But my success rate would be low, it feels gamey, and I don't enjoy the missions much. So I don't.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

It was joke. My previous post.
I found better way to kill my barracks.
Under-infiltration. I will probably send 7 Sparks and Shinobi.
Nice thing about Sparks is - they do not commit suicide .
The Preacher
Unfawkable

Post by Unfawkable »

Psieye wrote:I've actually contemplated how to get the solo shinobi out alive afterwards, concluding I'd want Wraith suit and Reaper + Hit&Run. I've never had a campaign go long enough to try it out.
Whirlwind might be even better for that, combined with a wraith suit and superior mobility it could work. I haven't thought in advance however, and by the time I realized I'd like a guy who could do that it was too late to create one, so I started suiciding rookies. I've done it enough times that twice they made it out alive by sheer luck of enemy misses and the obscene movement distance the Shinobi can cover with both actions to get to the evac
Dwarfling wrote:Those missions don't seem to pop up enough by late game, at least for me. Maybe because I'm not doing lib chains anymore and Counter-DE seems to pop more as hacks and destroy relay. I do train some squaddie Shinobis late game along with Grenadiers because it's easy for them to be filler for some missions. I don't miss them if they end up dying but I'm not sending them to their deaths either.
I tend to get a fair amount of them. Mostly as a dark event prevention mission. Those are the ones I try to undertake under any circumstance.
gimrah wrote:It probably is optimal late game. Rookies are cheap and the GTS slots aren't doing anything else.

But my success rate would be low, it feels gamey, and I don't enjoy the missions much. So I don't.
Exactly! They are super cheap (if you can shut out the voice of morality).
SonnyWiFiHr wrote:It was joke. My previous post.
I found better way to kill my barracks.
Under-infiltration. I will probably send 7 Sparks and Shinobi.
Nice thing about Sparks is - they do not commit suicide .
Do you... do this for the funzies? :shock:
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

To the comments on non-suicide methods.

Yes you could probably do it. Stealth perks, maybe H&R with shadowstrike, maybe whirlwind. With fancy wraith suits and high value PCS.

Thing is you'd need to build a soldier around it. Which would be suboptimal much of the rest of the time. And it would still be super risky. I find when stealth goes wrong, that's a dead soldier. Which is very costly if it's a GSGT in all that gear.
Unfawkable

Post by Unfawkable »

gimrah wrote:To the comments on non-suicide methods.

Yes you could probably do it. Stealth perks, maybe H&R with shadowstrike, maybe whirlwind. With fancy wraith suits and high value PCS.

Thing is you'd need to build a soldier around it. Which would be suboptimal much of the rest of the time. And it would still be super risky. I find when stealth goes wrong, that's a dead soldier. Which is very costly if it's a GSGT in all that gear.
I actually carry a single battle scanner on them, and rarely if ever get detected. If you just move about patiently, you are unlikely to break stealth, I'm more worried about if he could make it out at all regardless of how much you invest in him (Though the Wraith suit would make it highly possible, you could just stick him through terrain to unreachable areas.)
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Unfawkable wrote:
Psieye wrote:I've actually contemplated how to get the solo shinobi out alive afterwards, concluding I'd want Wraith suit and Reaper + Hit&Run. I've never had a campaign go long enough to try it out.
Whirlwind might be even better for that
It's inferior, because it doesn't stack with Reaper. Hit&Run does. Mind, there's good argument for picking Whirlwind in general, but for action economy fuckery, Hit&Run is more flexible.

And yes, as has been pointed out by others, a Wraith GSGT shinobi trying to come out alive from a VIP assassination is a ridiculous risk. The thought exercise is useful though, as it can be adapted into real tactical situations - especially if the "VIP" is actually say, a Sectoid Commander that you need removed.
1st
2nd
3rd
Unfawkable

Post by Unfawkable »

Psieye wrote: And yes, as has been pointed out by others, a Wraith GSGT shinobi trying to come out alive from a VIP assassination is a ridiculous risk. The thought exercise is useful though, as it can be adapted into real tactical situations - especially if the "VIP" is actually say, a Sectoid Commander that you need removed.
I find that in the heat of combat where you have a lot of soliders, any Shinobi with Whirlwind can do the job of executing a pesky commander or nearly any advent unit and get out alive. Provided you are positioned to not reveal any other pods.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

I expect my Shinobi to wipe a whole pod, then get in position. Becomes impractical when M3s start showing up, but an absurdly fast-trained GSGT can do it regularly.
1st
2nd
3rd
Unfawkable

Post by Unfawkable »

Psieye wrote:I expect my Shinobi to wipe a whole pod, then get in position. Becomes impractical when M3s start showing up, but an absurdly fast-trained GSGT can do it regularly.

This is precisely what I did, he kept Reapering throughout midgame. Practically won the campaign singlehandedly. And he didn't fall off late either, he was crucial in the end stage for hunting down Avatars when they teleport too far. Natural fast movement of 16, a bonus move from AWC sprint, superior speed, and wraith suit gave him obscene amounts of movement, and criting the Avatar can kill him from almost 50% HP.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

I can't kill freaking Sectoid with Shinobi . :D
They are naturally Suicidal (Assault included)
The Preacher