Troop Column in pre-Liberated Region

guypapyrus

Troop Column in pre-Liberated Region

Post by guypapyrus »

I'm infiltrating a strength 6 region HQ when a troop column (moderate) spawned with 9 days (7 1/2 days to go on the HQ). Do I understand correctly that if I infiltrate the troop column it will:

1. Force me to run the mission or abort, adding 50% to whatever infiltration percentage I have when the liberation finishes?
2. Make the enemy strength whatever it would be for a strength 2 region, given that the liberation destroys 4 of the legions (with one remaining to get pushed into an adjacent region)?

I'm thinking I'd like to make this a troop training op if that's how it'll work, in which case I'd send lowbies along with a TBF officer scout and a decent sniper and max out the infiltration percentage. Or alternatively try to finish the troop column before the liberation, though I'm short on gear and money right now.
Dwarfling

Re: Troop Column in pre-Liberated Region

Post by Dwarfling »

1. Correct.
2. Strenght will be 1 for missions done on a recently liberated region, I don't remember if Troop Columns have a strenght modifier, so it might end up between Ex.Light and V.Light.

You can either complete the HQ first and get an easy Troop Column to train a bunch of soldiers, or just have the HQ overinfiltrate and do a Moderate Troop Column for more bodies. Large Troop Columns ain't a joke tho, the maps are small so if there's a lot of enemies chances are there will be some pod overlapping and multiple activations. Bring AoE.

Tip: if you decide to do HQ first, be sure to save the game before doing the Troop Column by going back to the Avenger. Game tends to bug out (at least my game does) and load the post-HQ mission improperly, leading to a busted save if you're on Ironman.
guypapyrus

Re: Troop Column in pre-Liberated Region

Post by guypapyrus »

Ok, yeah I preferred to run the troop column at lower strength because I was short on gear and supplies. It ended up working out, though it was a challenge because it was on a fairly cramped urban map and my sniper was visible. Any other setup than the place I chose would have meant contending with two turrets and/or no elevation bonus.

Anyway, two m3 Advent pods and a snake+greater archon against a tsgt scout, sgt sniper, cpl ow ranger, lcpl grenadier, acolyte, and squaddie gunner, assault, and shinobi. Coil and mags, Kevlar armor. They all carried their weight, it was quite fun, actually.