Announcement regarding LW2+WotC

johnnylump
Site Admin

Announcement regarding LW2+WotC

Post by johnnylump »

Based on the outcome of some discussions with 2K, we're announcing today that we won't be working on updating for Long War 2 for the War of the Chosen expansion. While we're disappointed for our fans that we won't be able to continue work on the mod, this does free our team to focus its full efforts on our original title, Terra Invicta, which is now in production.

We'd like to thank Firaxis and 2K for all their support and encouragement as we have gone from hobbyists to pros. We hope everyone will follow our development of Terra Invicta and give the game a look when it is available. I intend to be more active discussing plans for the game on our forums as we progress.

Cheers,
JL
Psieye

Re: Announcement regarding LW2+WotC

Post by Psieye »

Thank you for bringing news of the situation. Now that your team is fully committed to Terra Invicta, the wider modding community is freed from ambiguity on whether to wait for a PI-authored WotC+LW2 mod. As PI have been converting LW2 assets into WotC-compatible forms, I trust you give your blessing for other modders to pick up the torch and create their own LW2-inspired makeovers in WotC (presumably without using the name "LW2").
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
CreekBed

Post by CreekBed »

ah man this is terrible news. Good luck pavonis on your upcoming game then.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

@Psieye. Absolutely; 2K gave us control over how our XCOM 2 assets are used, and we've said all along they are free for other modders to adapt for their own work. Part of why they originally hired us was to jumpstart the game's modding community, and hopefully our stuff will help other modders' projects.

Right now, the only asset we've converted over is the XCOM weapons (SMGs, lasers and coilguns), which I have sitting on my hard drive, waiting for me to fill out the config for Legendary difficulty. The recent vanilla patch fixed a bug in the coilgun textures; the bug was why we hadn't finished it sooner. I don't know that we'll get around to working on the other standalones ourselves, though. I'll ask our guys to keep an eye on these forums and help out anyone trying to convert them.
Tides

Post by Tides »

Oh darned this makes me extremely sad :-( I can only hope that your original title will be everything LW2 was and more. The way you guys think is just up my alley for games. Nothing at all about your Long war mods that i've disliked, so i will definently purchase your game when it comes.

I realize you probably cant say much - or anything - but i'm just gonna ask anyways, in case i'm wrong.
How far into development are you with Terra Invicta? Will it be years before we see it? :o
CraZCanuck

Post by CraZCanuck »

Gotta say, this is one of the most disappointing things I've heard since the game released. I know it's beyond your control, but I am amazed the publisher 2K opted not to support the hardcore fanbase that clearly made XCOM:EW a better game. Now fans of WotC must choose (until other modders take up the torch :lol: ) whether to play the harder, modded version or the expansion packs for the game provided by 2K.

Just a disappointing thing to hear for a longtime LW fan
Weebos

Post by Weebos »

Sad to hear, but at least you can start working on your own projects in earnest.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

@Tides

Posted the start of a dev diary on TI over here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26983
RookieAutopsy

Post by RookieAutopsy »

I'm not disappointed as I think it would have been a tremendous effort to try and rework such diverse branches into a single trunk again. Not that I wouldn't want the end product, but I agree if that much work is to be put into something, it is better being your own project. Its a good call and I look forward to seeing what you guys can do with your own IP.
warbrand2

Post by warbrand2 »

any chance of Lw2 being oppened so another group can do a port? or is it already open for that?
Phaseless

Post by Phaseless »

I'm quite sad that you won't be developing Long War 2 for the expansion, but I understand your decision, and I support it and I am looking forward to terra invicta.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

warbrand2 wrote:any chance of Lw2 being oppened so another group can do a port? or is it already open for that?
People are welcome to use our assets (which are really 2K's) as they like.
Kamikaze Samurai

Post by Kamikaze Samurai »

What will happen if I try to run LW2 as a mod with WOTC?

I've been thinking about giving it a try and attempting to resolve any conflicts as they crop up.

My modding skills are currently limited to text edit butchery of .ini files, but I am willing to learn.
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

It would crash. The changes run way too deep to be compatible.
Rikokrates

Post by Rikokrates »

While in some ways this is a disappointment as I think PI dd an amazing job of not only modding EW but Xcom 2 too. In other ways I see it as a blessing. I was not a fan of WOTC, I didn't even bother to complete a campaign, it just didn't feel fun, I blame LW2 for that. :lol:

That said it means PI can now devote their full time in to producing Terra Invicta; a game which I'm certain will be amazing and am extremely looking forward to.

Thanks to JL and the team for all their work and I wish you all the best for the future!
SamXjones

Post by SamXjones »

Sad news. And I would like to request somebody else to pick up the job on making LongWar of the Chosen avaliable (and hopefully, get grimy's loot mod fully compatable with it XDDD)

edit: but at the end of the days I must thankx PI for creating content that make the life of my last 2 years so enjoyable, and hopefully the enjoyment will be continued in their future title: Terra Invicta
Last edited by SamXjones on Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Will 1.5 be the final version of LW2? No more updates for the vanilla version?
Mal_rgn

Post by Mal_rgn »

Good luck on the further development of TI and thanks to the entire PI team for the hard work on the Long War 2 o7

Mal
cryptc

Post by cryptc »

Thank you for the information, even though it makes me sad to see :(
Padishar

Post by Padishar »

It's great that you can fully concentrate on Terra Invicta from now on. I'm quite curious about that, and I hope the project will be a success. LW2 1.5 version is a very solid package to finish with after all. I started my current LW2 campaign before WotC released, so I haven't tried that yet, but LW2 already extended the lifespan for X2 so much that I don't feel another iteration for the expansion is required, if it would come at the expense of delaying progress of Terra Invicta. I'll probably grab WotC at some point and make a quick playthrough, but mostly I'll look forward to X3 from Firaxis and TI from Pavonis.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

This is pretty much what I had expected. I'm not sure I would have been happy with LW2 tangled into WotC, what with some differing core mechanics (afaik - didn't try WotC). And I really want to have a look at Terra Invicta.

But could you answer, based on your current knowledge, whether there will be a LW2 1.6?
Nataku

Post by Nataku »

Really sad news. For me, without LW2, there is no point in buying WotC. :(
TrainInVain

Post by TrainInVain »

Thanks to all the folks at Pavonis for Long War 2. I was really amazed with the class balance and that there are multiple viable builds for each class type. I think you all succeeded in that regard more than any other game I have played.

I was not impressed with what I have seen of WotC, I would only purchase the expansion if it was Long Warified.

Still playing LW2 for now, and I'm looking forward to Terra Invicta.
Bullett00th

Post by Bullett00th »

My sincerest gratitude for everything you've done throughout the years.

the original Long War has become and will likely forever stay my favorite mod of all time, with how much it increased the depth of an already amazing title.

While it makes me extremely sad to know there won't be a LW2 for WoTC, I'm happy that you can now fully dedicate your time to your own project which I'm definitely looking forward to.

Best of luck with it, keep us up to date and again THANK YOU for the tremendous work you've done to expand modern XCOM beyond anything I could have imagined.
archangel

Post by archangel »

WotC brought in some awesome engine improvements. I would be happy if someone was just able to let us play LW2 as it is in WotC improved engine. I don't even need any of the other "gameplay improvements" WotC brought. Mostly because I consider them inferior.