Rebel job switching

Psieye

Rebel job switching

Post by Psieye »

When rebels are assigned a new job (or when Avenger starts scanning in a region), there's "a day" of no returns while people adjust to their new role. How long does "a day" actually last? Is it exactly 24h after switching jobs? Or until the next midnight?
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
LordYanaek

Re: Rebel job switching

Post by LordYanaek »

That's a pretty good question. I would expect it comes from a limitation of the engine rather than a balancing design decision so i would guess jobs are actually only checked at discrete intervals and that's the reason of the delay. Ideally it would require a developer (or a very good code digger) to answer for sure thought.

Related but different, it seems like "1 month" period is actually 1 supply drop cycle (21 days) as i detected a Lib1 mission in late march in my new Legend campaign while i always read it doesn't start during the first "month". Infiltration was too short unfortunately.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

This switching + no idea when new missions will generate, force me to leave all to intel.
Charts do not help, leaving me with very thin barracks.
18 men on two hard missions + some rookies as backup is somehow borderline.

When to switch ? Does extra rebels even count ? With Scientist (15 rebels) I m Catching 6 day inf. and 1 day troop column. I was better with 6 with no Scientists.

Can't sync recruit with mission generation. 3 men mission on legendary (this is how much I can spare) and 3 men mission on commander/veteran (raised difficulty just to learn what to research) is my current play. On comm/vet I m forced do go on one man missions after I contact 3rd region.

At least I have plenty of time - 6 days for one men or do troop column with suicide rookies (6 vs 54)

IN HEAVEN OF FOUR I m detecting more than 6 days mission
Last edited by SonnyWiFiHr on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Preacher
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Hmm, I should load my 1.4 campaign and experiment with switching to supply job. That gives quick feedback on work being done.
1st
2nd
3rd
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

Looks detecting is way more random thing than it should be. 6 rebels + Sci you can save scum up to 11 days. 13 + sci + faceless still RND .
Day more or not is not important or just switch 1 day before first mission . You can switch day after last mission and still have plenty of time because it is impossible to detect mission on first day (usually).
Still if you detect at the earliest time you can't send squad of 10 on mission for squad of 8.

I HAVE put EVERYTHING on intel and detected 3x troop columns and UFO but I do not have barracks to support it - trade off of early game

Judging by Your play style you can go for 1 day after. There is no chance to detect mission if you underinfiltrate . You must wait 2 or 3 days
The Preacher
johnnylump
Site Admin

Post by johnnylump »

IIRC, the reassignment takes effect at fixed 24-hour intervals, rather than "24 hours after you make the change." One of the testers figured out some exploit from hot-switching rebels constantly, which is no fun, so we made sure it wouldn't work.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

And they start at 01.00 h ?
The Preacher
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Ah, fixed intervals of checking. I should be able to determine the exact hour the check happens with my 1.4 campaign once I get home.
SonnyWiFiHr wrote:Looks detecting is way more random thing than it should be.
It's a dice roll every 6 hours after you meet the upfront cost. Troop Columns are easy to begin rolling dice for. Other mission types take longer.
1st
2nd
3rd
faket15

Post by faket15 »

One important think to remember is that activities are also generated once per day and I'm pretty sure this happens at the same time as the job update. This means that going from Recruit to Intel one day before launching a mission instead of doing it right after doesn't actually help you detect the next mission faster.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Got it: 7AM is when job status is checked. Supply is scavanged at 7AM if rebels have been on that job since the previous day's 7AM. It's a good assumption that missions are spawned on the same hour too.
1st
2nd
3rd
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

This is nice info. But it seems that most of guides suggest one day before (to have more intel ).
The Preacher
faket15

Post by faket15 »

SonnyWiFiHr wrote:This is nice info. But it seems that most of guides suggest one day before (to have more intel ).
And what I'm saying is that they are probably wrong. Both activity generation and job updates are things that happen once per day, probably around the same time. If this is correct then switching from Recruit to Intel immediately before you play a mission or one day before give you exactly the same amount of Intel to detect the next mission. The optimal time to switch would actually be right before the next update after the mission is finished, still giving you the same amount of Intel for the next mission but maximizing the Recruit income.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

I confirm the recruit income is probably at 6h intervals too, just like intel. I had someone join just before 3PM in my campaign today.
1st
2nd
3rd
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

1.00 AM is mission generating time.
I had one at 1:00 AM .
If you save game earlier than 1.00 AM missions will generate randomly.
If you save at 1.01 AM missions will not change.

Switch rebels before 1.00 AM

P.S. I need mod with normal time 0.00 - 23.59.
AM / PM is confusing.
14.00 (h) is NATO standard. Actually it reads as 1400 .

Rebels are doomed if they use AM/PM
The Preacher
Kamikaze Samurai

Post by Kamikaze Samurai »

Hello SonnyWifiHR.

Your posts in this thread lead me to believe you do not understand the difference between mission generation and mission detection.

Mission generation is completely invisible.
You will not determine when it happens by saving your game at a certain time.

Once a mission has been generated it will accumulate intel points until a minimum value is reached. After that there is a chance to discover the mission every 6 hours that is equal to a constant value multiplied by the amount if intel points accumulated above the minimum value. When that roll succeeds the mission is discovered and appears on the map. The minimum value and constant value depend on which mission it is.

Scanning with the Avenger is worth 4 base level haven members, a scientist advisor adds 20%, and each faceless in the haven reduces the amount by some value that I think is also 20%.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

Mission generation begins at 1.00 AM.

It is simple. Finish all your mission before 1.00. All of your missions at same time. Save .
If your timer say 12.00 PM you can generate (or save scum) missions . 2 scientist + enemy materiel or eng + sci + tower etc. etc.
If you finish them all after 1.00 AM you have to wait (waste) until next 1.00 AM. No mission will generate in this time.

So if missions are generated at 1.00 AM you can invest your rebels elsewhere. Rebels on Intel + Scientist + Avenger only counts after 12.59 PM. Then you can detect 1.00 AM missions.
Accumulation of intel points ?
You already accumulated intel points (you are finishing missions) so detection is 6h interval + RND + mission detection value
Bucket is full already. You don't start from zero. You can get mission exactly at 1.00 AM if you are lucky and have easy detectable mission.

Mission generation is completely visible because you can change results by saving before 1.00 AM

Best example is new region - you can't detect anything before 1.00 AM next day. If you save before 1.00AM you will generate random missions. After 1.00 magic is gone you have fixed missions .

Guides on web are totally wrong. Switch rebels on intel before 1.00 AM and you are fine nothing is lost because nothing is there.
You can put rebels on intel earlier only in new region to fill the bucket but first missions are easy detect. Sci + few rebels + Avenger you can be lucky and have 12 day mission
The Preacher
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Aren't you forgetting that the rebels need a day to adjust to their new job? I wouldn't be surprised if missions are generated at 1 AM but rebel jobs are checked at 7 AM. So for example, a haven switched to full intel at 6 AM June 1 will be generating intel starting from 7 AM June 2. A mission that spawns at 1 AM June 2 will thus have 6 hours of no intel and then it'll start filling the bucket.
1st
2nd
3rd
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

Can't find difference. It gives same results. 6 extra hours OK but I never noticed difference.
I have save scummed a lot of and one day of extra intel do not give better detection. It is capped at 12 days and you can detect that with switching rebels on intel before 1.00 AM (not at 1.00 AM just before).
Best spawn for first mission usually is at 7.00 AM

You can have everything on intel day before but detection is same (RND).
When mission spawns then you can detect it. If there is no mission what you are detecting? There is nothing to fill.
Switching them at 6.00 AM June 1 (no missions) or 1.00 AM June 2 gives same results. I think game checks only what are you doing at 7.00 June 2 . But that can't explain why I detect good times At 1.00 AM - I don't have any intel at that point . You can't have 10-12 days timer with no intel.

Detection and mission spawn should be checked at 1.00 AM for my results. If rebels are on intel you are good to go. Switching them from intel to else can explain adjustment

BTW it is very hard to spawn mission at 1.00 AM but it is possible (without any intel if they switch at 7.00 AM).
Only had few of them and I use this as reference when mission are actually spawn. Not at 7.00 AM but at 1.00 AM
The Preacher
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

New region save scum is best way to get my results.
There is no intel in that region but you can save scum 12 day mission but only after 1.00 AM and earliest mission is still 1.00 AM.
I will contact new region at 11.00 PM there should be no chance of detection next day. I bet I can save scum 12 day mission with no intel at all (if rebels are checked at 7.00 AM) .

Destroy Alien Relay can drop as 1.00 AM mission (more than 12 days ?). Rest drop at 7.00 AM at earliest (can't save scum earlier) even two are possible at same time . I have put 6 rebels + sci + Avenger at 8.00 PM.

RND roll is included in my tests and have huge impact.
Min. time to spawn mission is 6 h (or you can get relay at 1.00 AM)
Second mission spawns at earliest 12 hours after first ( ?)
Max. time - 1 day left for LIB 1 (it is always last mission and ends cycle).

This was done on empty bucket. Strength 2 F:1 V:1 (Edit: It should be harder to detect )

Conclusion - you can't get this in normal play because there is huge randomness in detection (at min/max range).

More rebels and scientist give more time and rebel switch is not noticeable. If you switch at 7.00 AM ( after 1.00 A.M when mission generate) you will notice small lack of detection or none. 1.00 PM bigger lack etc. etc. On average how many rebels you put on intel counts more then when you put them on intel. Scientist is must have .
+/- 4 days for 8 day mission with my set up ( it can go even to -7 but rare). Remove scientist or avenger it becomes 6 . Rebels alone - you can miss missions (Liberation missions) because you are detecting in 4 days range.
288 h mission time = 48 detection chance putting rebels on intel earlier do not add 4 or remove 4 detection chances. RND gives more

If you are Lucky - then you are better player.
The Preacher