Concussion Rocket?

Jacke

Concussion Rocket?

Post by Jacke »

In Xwynns' latest video, on a Network Tower where he went loud early with a Rocket, he followed up with a Concussion Rocket here, and another Concussion Rocket later (just after 6m30s) showing it doesn't apply friendly fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTeS2Fu ... 66C&t=170s

I had thought even with FitH, the other perks for a Sgt Technical, Shredder or Burnout, would usually be of better use.

Anyone else using Concussion Rocket? What do you think of it? I've got a number of Cpl Technicals in my current campaign and I'll have to make a choice soon on the Sgt perk.
Last edited by Jacke on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LordYanaek

Re: Concussion Rocket?

Post by LordYanaek »

I have used it exactly once in my 1.4 campaign. It was an intel raid mission and my shinobi spotted 2 enemy pods nicely clustered together in range of my technical (with javelin rockets). It was fun being able to stun 2 pods with a single action but the smoke was a bit annoying. Still helped me a lot but it was sooooo circumstantial i don't think it was worth the perk. Shredder would have served me much better, a rocketeer usually has good aim and limited rockets so at least he can do something with his rifle with Shredder.

However, i think like most abilities in LW2, it's usefulness depends a lot on how you play. Different people will find different abilities/builds useful so the best way to know is probably to test it yourself.
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

I keep wanting to use Conc. Rocket but the situations are so rare I keep forgetting I had them when I had a Technical who picked that perk. Maybe I should make a concerted effort on my next campaign (whenever that is) to train every Technical to have a Conc. Rocket. Mind, half the uses I have in mind don't involve shooting the enemy with it - that's right, I care more about its noise and smoke than the stun and tiny damage.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
maikk

Post by maikk »

i picked it once because i thought it created a smoke on soldier's position, not the point of impact.

I ended up respecing the soldier, why would you ever give your enemies a defense buff?

Also, if you have a high aim soldier, shredder is so much stronger on Sergeant
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

It kinda goes with little saying that shredder is the superior option. But the Conc. Rocket is just there, challenging you to use it. I'd have to dedicate a campaign to use it, but it'd be hilarious.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

I picked it up on a Technical that started with 14 mobility and high aim (he was at 80+ SGT). Reasoning not to pick Shredder was that at such low mobility, and already carrying a frag to get a bit more out of Biggest Booms, I wouldn't want to pick a rifle and slow him even further. Because I use him on GOps almost exclusively and I need him to be fast. And since I'm using him on GOps, I usually take Shotgun Assaults with him, which don't care that much about the smoke if close enough. And on this campaign I got 5 shinobis (used to be 6 :( ) and they don't mind it that much either. And I got 4-5 grenadiers, all but 1 of them sappers, already deploying incendiaries (June).

So really I think the planets aligned for me to try to use the Concussion Rocket. We'll see how it ends up. All I know is that I probably won't be deploying that technical with Rangers and the like. I regret more not taking Burnout to be honest.

And I saw said Xwynns' video, and really I don't think it mattered what he did on that mission. But he had a team comp that didn't need to shoot at all so the smoke wasn't much of an issue.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Thanks for the comments, dudes. I'll be interested in hearing more about how Concussion Rocket worked or didn't work for you.

Back to the Xwynss video I linked above, here set to 6m30s, just before the 2nd Concussion Rocket is fired at 6m47s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTeS2Fu ... 6C&t=6m30s

He says it's currently bugged and won't apply friendly fire damage. But I wonder if that rocket just scattered enough to avoid both of his soldiers.

Anyhoo, Concussion Rocket's smoke does seem to be there for your own troops to close assault the enemy just hit by it. Having Assaults and Rangers who can follow up right away would be important.
Dwarfling wrote:And I saw said Xwynns' video, and really I don't think it mattered what he did on that mission. But he had a team comp that didn't need to shoot at all so the smoke wasn't much of an issue.
Xwynns does stuff with a combination of skill and luck I don't think I could get away with. But with 3 Technicals, an Assault, and a Shinobi, that was a different sort of Network Tower. Lots of smoke and fury. He still snuck a Shinobi to the switch.

EDIT: With Xwynns having a number of Technicals with Concussion Rocket, we're going to be seeing a lot of them in his Season 3 videos. Here's the one from today, a Haven Defence. ADVENT kept dropping reinforcements on or near his evac, so partway through he fired a Concussion Rocket onto them. Only struck 1 ADVENT directly, but covered the evac in smoke, which was helpful over the following turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcldM1D ... C&t=13m30s

So Concussion Rocket is good to help control and hold a location. From reviewing the Network tower mission, it appears the smoke from it lasts 4 turns.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

Nice info in right time. I have few ready to level up. High aim Technicals with concussion + more technical rockets. I still have to create flamethrower build or to use flamethrower (always maps with tall buildings).
The Preacher
Thrair
Long War 2 Crew

Post by Thrair »

This was a bug I spotted in playtesting shortly after 1.3 launched. It's there because otherwise the crowd-control aspect of the rocket would ALSO hit friendlies, not just the damage. Fixing the bug would result in stunning your own guys if they got hit with it.

However, it was decided by the mod team to leave it be, since Concussion Rocket had A) Already been tweaked a half-dozen times in the last patch alone, and B) Was still on the weak side even without getting another nerf.

So, per JL, this is no longer a bug, it's a feature.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Additional fact: it doesn't destroy objectives either.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

But it is more useful on supply raid. Two of my high aim Rocket Technical will use them. Just for free smoke + status effect
The Preacher
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Well so far it has provided ok results. Proved useful on a couple crutch moments where I had bitten more than I could chew and I just couldn't handle some enemies efficiently. So I gave them smoke but stunned/disorient in exchange. Again, it helps to bring a composition that isn't super reliant on shooting midrange, but you still gotta find a solution for MECs. Maybe some redscreens with a hacker, or just take the one Ranger.
RookieAutopsy

Post by RookieAutopsy »

So if you get into close quarters combat, you can safely concussion rocket your own position and troops, stunning the enemy and putting your soldiers into smoke against other enemies at range? Sounds awesome if thats the way it works :)
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Yeah Concussion has zero effect on friendlies and objectives. Still gotta check against prisoners. I suspect that it can trigger car explosions tho (the "it's gonna blow up" sparks stage tho), must check too.
gimrah
Long War 2 Crew

Post by gimrah »

My rocket tech uses a rifle, went shredder and then rapid fire at MSGT, which is a pretty powerful combination for end game.

I struggle with conc rocket. It can be a hit and hope for a pod that activates when you have few actions left. It's an alternative longish range way to break mind control. Sometimes you can follow up with flamethrower next turn. You definitely want other AoE - maybe gas grenades?

You can do some showy things with conc rocket plus Reaper / Coup de Grace on a bladenobi. But CdG is a MSGT perk, so it doesn't work out for most of the game.