WotC is literally impossible to lose??

TheDarkZero

Re: WotC is literally impossible to lose??

Post by TheDarkZero »

Oh God! this "hardcore" community is impossible to please, i dont see anyone complaining about how long war 1 made the game impossible to lose via doom timer(if you lose a campaign there you lose long before the aliens control every single region in the world), long war should go back to its roots and finally make its name mean something, because while right now the game-play time of a campaign whit long war 2 is "longer" due to the increased amount of missions, in game time wise this "long war" is barely longer than the vanilla experience, stop trying to kill our campaigns whit some arbitrary doom clock and instead try balance the missions so we dont have to skip most of them due to low infiltration or completely useless risk/reward ratio.
SamXjones

Post by SamXjones »

TheDarkZero wrote:Oh God! this "hardcore" community is impossible to please, ... stop trying to kill our campaigns whit some arbitrary doom clock and instead try balance the missions so we dont have to skip most of them due to low infiltration or completely useless risk/reward ratio.
As far as I know, if you can complete enought mission to a point where alien consider the resistance is a very very very serious threat, the avartar project will be delayed by over 100%, which I think this mean avartar project basically stopped because alien decided they should direct all of their resource to fight you. However, as far as (again) I have had experienced, the avartar project can still progress occationally under this condition, even in rookie difficulty... so I really don't know how to delay the doom of humanity forever without ending the war soon...
TheDarkZero

Post by TheDarkZero »

SamXjones wrote:
TheDarkZero wrote:Oh God! this "hardcore" community is impossible to please, ... stop trying to kill our campaigns whit some arbitrary doom clock and instead try balance the missions so we dont have to skip most of them due to low infiltration or completely useless risk/reward ratio.
As far as I know, if you can complete enought mission to a point where alien consider the resistance is a very very very serious threat, the avartar project will be delayed by over 100%, which I think this mean avartar project basically stopped because alien decided they should direct all of their resource to fight you. However, as far as (again) I have had experienced, the avartar project can still progress occationally under this condition, even in rookie difficulty... so I really don't know how to delay the doom of humanity forever without ending the war soon...
That is because this "long" war is currently easily won by researching only the weapon techs and rushing your way trough the story mission as fast as humanly possible, for some reason this mod is called "long" war and yet they made sure the doom clock is actually impossible to be stopped or even delayed for to long, resulting in games ending even before they do in the vanilla game, date wise.

But being longer merely because of the higher amount of missions you do in the same time is a farce, all this do is massively reduce the efficiency of supply drops and research, for both of the factors rely on time, and all this does is create an optimal research patch where you ignore 80% of the content this mod alters because it takes to long to research and the delay in your victory is worse than the benefit the thing you research gives.

Countless times you see on these forums how useless it is to liberate more than a couple of regions because the long term income is useless since you have to end the game so quickly, a total 360 in balance compared to long war 1 where the best tern scenario was to control every single region of the world, and while it was also impossible to research everything in long war 1, its was more because it would cost to much resource wise than it was because you where supposed to have won the game before you could even research plasma.

Everyone has as taste, but I would rather have the "impossible" to win vanilla than the currently play one way or lose mentality that long war 2 has, its clear to me more effort was put in long war 1 by this point, I remember the several betas and massive changes that the mod used to have and you could feel the constant development, and all on a game where modding was not even a thing, meanwhile on xocm 2, this extremely modifiable game, we have a patch to long war 2 every six months, to the point where even bug fixes remain in the mod for month and if you look it up on steam workshop there is even a few mod mods to fix long war 2 bugs...
Kamikaze Samurai

Post by Kamikaze Samurai »

Just because there is an optimized path doesn't mean you have to take it.

Mag rush, psi rush, win the game in predator armor...what's the hurry?

The doom clock can be delayed by liberating havens, destroying facilities, story line missions, or building vigilance, so you have plenty of time.

Try making up thematic squads based on fire weapons or grapnel armor or completely composed of captured Advent mechs. Build a team of greandiers wearing hazmat suits that uses venem rounds and acid bombs.

None of that is as effective as invisible scouts calling in fire from invisible snipers, but who cares? It's fun and engages your creativity.

The game doesn't force a particular style of play; that's something the player does to themself.
aedn

Post by aedn »

Kamikaze Samurai wrote:Just because there is an optimized path doesn't mean you have to take it.

Mag rush, psi rush, win the game in predator armor...what's the hurry?

The doom clock can be delayed by liberating havens, destroying facilities, story line missions, or building vigilance, so you have plenty of time.

Try making up thematic squads based on fire weapons or grapnel armor or completely composed of captured Advent mechs. Build a team of greandiers wearing hazmat suits that uses venem rounds and acid bombs.

None of that is as effective as invisible scouts calling in fire from invisible snipers, but who cares? It's fun and engages your creativity.

The game doesn't force a particular style of play; that's something the player does to themself.
On higher difficulties, especially legend, you can't reliably counter the avatar progress through missions, because the missions you need to find are to hard to detect often enough.

The reason people rush, is because there is a larger chance of failure the longer the game length runs. The latest I pushed a L/I campaign is April of the following year, the few I tried to really extend ended in losses due to strategic map issues, and the clock.

The balance should be adjusted to allow for both rushing a campaign or extending it in a more reliable fashion, and allowing you as the resistance to actually fight over the strategic map and territory.
Kamikaze Samurai

Hi Aedn.

Playing on Legend is a perfect example of a self-imposed style, and one that necessarily narrows your options.

Beating this game on L/I is s tremendous accomplishment, but once you've proven you can do it then maybe it would be ok to experiment with sub-optimal strategies.

One possibility is to drop the difficulty and forbid the use of primary weapons. The gunner would become a knife fighter and those AWC pistol skills would suddenly seem like solid gold.

You would have to develop new tactics and be able to do it with a slower Avatar clock.
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Nice, I think I wanna do a playthrough where everyone (that can) uses a different primary weapon than the usual. So almost everyone is using a shotgun, except for Assaults, which I guess will use SMGs because Rifle Assaults are a thing. Those who can't switch, will use pistols. Except for Gunner Suppression I guess. Might wanna start at Rookie.
Kamikaze Samurai

I've been getting through my boring commute by thinking up thematic squads.

When I get home tonight I will give the Advent a history lesson about World War I with machineguns and gas grenades.

I just got the MKII launcher and the +1 radius on a gas grenade should make a nice big cloud.
4 grenadiers will gas an entire area then fall back with couple of gunners providing covering fire.

Should probably give them each one bluescreen flash bang to help with the mechs and snakes.