1.5 playthrough questions and observations

Torquemada

Re: 1.5 playthrough questions and observations

Post by Torquemada »

Phaseless wrote:I think it's great btw that every class has 3 upgrade paths which allow for so many diverse builds and compositions.
I find snapshot useful in more situations than DfA right from early game. You can often position your soldiers so that when pod is activated, you run your snapshot up to catch one or more enemies out of cover. Worse come to worse, you just move up and throw a smoke from the back.

Holo spec are only useful on more crowded missions when the aim bonus can be used by multiple soldiers. They usually result from a respec at sgt.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

My sniper is dead because he was blind . He even had a eyepatch
The Preacher
artifixer

Post by artifixer »

Phaseless wrote:Gotta say, timers are alright in LW2. Most unforgiving IMO are those vip rescue timers where you see 24 turns remaining but doom reinforcements start dropping at about 12, 14 turns remaining. One every two rounds. That is hell, especially when you first find out about this.
The moment when doom reinforcements start dropping related to the moment you break consealment, not the overall time left. If you reveal yourself during first couple turns, then you'd probably get screwed when timer will still show 11-13 turns left. But if you sneak most of the way to the objective, then you won't see doom reinforcements at all, or on the very last turns.

So those huge map missions with timers over 20 turns are either for very mobile squad that can fight it's way in and out in about 10-12 turns, or for stealthy enough squad, that can get to the objective unnoticed and than get out guns blazing. And as those maps are big enough, so you have space to maneuver, I think it's a good alternative
Phaseless

Post by Phaseless »

artifixer wrote:
Phaseless wrote:Gotta say, timers are alright in LW2. Most unforgiving IMO are those vip rescue timers where you see 24 turns remaining but doom reinforcements start dropping at about 12, 14 turns remaining. One every two rounds. That is hell, especially when you first find out about this.
The moment when doom reinforcements start dropping related to the moment you break consealment, not the overall time left. If you reveal yourself during first couple turns, then you'd probably get screwed when timer will still show 11-13 turns left. But if you sneak most of the way to the objective, then you won't see doom reinforcements at all, or on the very last turns.

So those huge map missions with timers over 20 turns are either for very mobile squad that can fight it's way in and out in about 10-12 turns, or for stealthy enough squad, that can get to the objective unnoticed and than get out guns blazing. And as those maps are big enough, so you have space to maneuver, I think it's a good alternative
Ah I see, that makes sense, thanks. I already got a Feeling Things were this way, since I had opportunity for lots more experiences in the mean time ;)
infidel901

Post by infidel901 »

artifixer wrote:

I don't really see a way to get anywhere near the goal undetected. Not with hunter drones everywhere, with massive detection radius, and a DE up that apparently makes us even more detectable. But even without the DE, those drones cover every approach on many maps i have encountered. Sometimes you can go a few turns undetected, but on the big maps, that reinforcement counter starts pulsing yellow/red long before i get anywhere near.
Phaseless

Post by Phaseless »

Not that it's the solution to everything infidel, but a good tip from xwynn is to move along the edges of the map because you basically eliminate 33% of possible enemy Approach angles. This way you can also send ahead your shinobi more towards the inner side of the map, with his smaller detection radius, and make sure your more easily spotted heavy troops lag a bit behind so they don't get uncovered by a surprise-drone. This works really well so far, for me. On most occasions, this Approach allows me to get very Close to the target without breaking concealment.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

It's also important to infiltrate to 100% or better, as ADVENT's detection radii grow and shrink in opposition to infiltration. Under-infiltration, you will be seen very quickly. Over-infiltrate, you will have a better chance to control when your squad is revealed.
artifixer

Post by artifixer »

infidel901 wrote: I don't really see a way to get anywhere near the goal undetected. Not with hunter drones everywhere, with massive detection radius, and a DE up that apparently makes us even more detectable. But even without the DE, those drones cover every approach on many maps i have encountered. Sometimes you can go a few turns undetected, but on the big maps, that reinforcement counter starts pulsing yellow/red long before i get anywhere near.
Detection ranges depend on enemy alert level, wich, in turn, depends on infiltration percentage. And it goes without saying, that soldier equipment and skills affect detection ranges too. Maybe you've just tried to go stealthy in missions with low infiltration, wich is really hard now.

On low alert levels I rarely experienced any problems avoiding drones. Have to admit though, low alert levels usually mean low activity level too, in wich case brute force approach also should not cause you any trouble.
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

Phaseless wrote:
artifixer wrote:

Ah I see, that makes sense, thanks. I already got a Feeling Things were this way, since I had opportunity for lots more experiences in the mean time ;)
I should point out that the vip rescue missions where you start with an evac already placed are an exception to the rule and the reinforcements starts ticking the moment the map starts, hence why you can see the green reinforcements warning.
So yes you still have just 12 turns, despite the lies of the timer.
Phaseless

Post by Phaseless »

True but I did notice that on missions where you can request evac reinforcements start clocking in as soon as you break concealment.
artifixer

Post by artifixer »

JulianSkies wrote: I should point out that the vip rescue missions where you start with an evac already placed are an exception to the rule and the reinforcements starts ticking the moment the map starts, hence why you can see the green reinforcements warning.
Are you shure they actually start ticking and have the same timer?
Because I had a very bad rescue mission once with poorly fitted team of low mobile low rank soldiers that went wrong in all possible ways, so I restarted it when doom reinforcements appear about turn 12. After restart I took much stealthier approch and successfully competed a mission more or less in the same turn I restarted it before, but there were no every turn reinforcments still.

Now I'm not shure if it was a bug, a normal thing or maybe I just deluded myself somehow.
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

artifixer wrote:
JulianSkies wrote: I should point out that the vip rescue missions where you start with an evac already placed are an exception to the rule and the reinforcements starts ticking the moment the map starts, hence why you can see the green reinforcements warning.
Are you shure they actually start ticking and have the same timer?
Because I had a very bad rescue mission once with poorly fitted team of low mobile low rank soldiers that went wrong in all possible ways, so I restarted it when doom reinforcements appear about turn 12. After restart I took much stealthier approch and successfully competed a mission more or less in the same turn I restarted it before, but there were no every turn reinforcments still.

Now I'm not shure if it was a bug, a normal thing or maybe I just deluded myself somehow.
I am, that was even on a previous patch note. You probably finished the mission faster, actually, probably by once or two turns.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

When you see yellow warning you should move faster or move to higher ground. Usually it is wipe out pod. Put VIP to hunker down somewhere if you rescue him early you will face reinforcements every turn.
The Preacher