Haven rescue with a non-soldier adviser.

KnightOwlToo

Haven rescue with a non-soldier adviser.

Post by KnightOwlToo »

OK, I just had my first haven rescue post 1.5 patch where I had to evacuate all the resistance personnel I could before the EVAC opens and bugging out. I was able to rescue 10/13 personnel but my haven adviser, an engineer, wasn't there to rescue. This was one of only 3 engineers I had at the end of April and losing him hurts... is there no way to rescue non-soldier haven advisers, do they now automatically die if a haven is retaliated against?
Dwarfling

Re: Haven rescue with a non-soldier adviser.

Post by Dwarfling »

Not really. You'll have to buy/rescue another one.

On a related note, you really shouldn't have deployed that Engineer if the region wasn't liberated.
KnightOwlToo

Post by KnightOwlToo »

It had maybe a week left on the infiltration time for the battle for liberation, already had 13 resistance there and no need for more missions in that region... so I put everyone on the supply job and gave them an engineer. Other reprisals typically give you a chance to save your adviser, all you'd be giving up is an extra soldier on the defense. I was actually expecting a resistance supply raid. Guess next time I'll either post a soldier or leave it empty... never had an adviser just disappear before this.
KnightOwlToo

Post by KnightOwlToo »

Dwarfling wrote:Not really. You'll have to buy/rescue another one.

On a related note, you really shouldn't have deployed that Engineer if the region wasn't liberated.

Huh, you must never use Scientist advisers then? No reason to use one at a liberated region after all...
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Probably not. At least not when you're doing very important research (say you have no resources for a weapon tech), and even less if you know there's a Retaliation off of cooldown waiting to happen. Scientist advisers are mostly used to fish important missions with good timers, like Lib3, or say when you spike vigilange and you expect Supply Raids and UFO precursors to happen. But mostly no, you really do want to have as much research going as possible.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

If you have few of them - research.
If you want more - expand ASAP.
Keep Vigilance under 5 in new regions to Pick up scientist . It will be small team hell but you will get scientists
I managed to pick up 6 by March 18 (RND + I can declare victory at that point).
Than you can spare them to boost detection. I always boost detection with them just to expand to next two region.
Smallest heaven is usually Strength 1 so I go there.
Mission cycle is the same VIP, jailbrek, Smash and grab, intel.
So depending on what you rolled pick up missions that are important (scientist ) go to next region (if you can spare intel) do the same.
After Liberation chain is over your regions will be screwed expand to next . Don't forget to do Find a lead missions after liberation

Vigilance 5 cycle and no problem with research
+ you now can detect almost anything (you have huge boost to do that).
On veteran while I was testing at some point I had more than 12 before Liberation (crazy RNG) and UFO 3 days timer (who wan't do do smash and grab when you can detect UFO?)

This mod is not about soldiers it is about how many scientist you have picked. Vigilance 5 cycle will get you enough
The Preacher
faket15

Post by faket15 »

Dwarfling wrote:Probably not. At least not when you're doing very important research (say you have no resources for a weapon tech), and even less if you know there's a Retaliation off of cooldown waiting to happen. Scientist advisers are mostly used to fish important missions with good timers, like Lib3, or say when you spike vigilange and you expect Supply Raids and UFO precursors to happen. But mostly no, you really do want to have as much research going as possible.
Lib3 should be the best case scenario for a Scientist Advisor but it's currently bugged. If you let the first one you detect pass the second will always come with a very good timer because the activity doesn't reset (this is actually happening at least since 1.3, I have no idea how no one else noticed).
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

You did not read my guide.
Also you can detect missions (green) with avenger only - on Veteran . Still need to confirm that on Commander but I doubt.
There is detection chance bonus for easy missions 7% (easy) /5%/3%/have no clue for legendary per day
The Preacher
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

Of course not, it's redacted like a washing machine instruction manual (put this here, when light goes yellow flip that) and it assumes you play with the mod that reveals vigilance, which I do not.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

How do you know that?
You read it ?
The Preacher
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

"If you are planning to maintain vigilance wait until 1st Vigilance drop"

"Wait for Vigilance to drop and start finishing missions on same day"

"Repeat until you have Vigilance 5 no scientist after that Vigilance 6 will give you jailbreak
After Vigilance 7 go to next region and wait vigilance drop or try to detect supply raid"
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wait Vigilance to drop if you have
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/fil ... =925598042
The Preacher
Dwarfling

Post by Dwarfling »

I know, it's a mod that's not a part of the LW2 base and I don't use it because it makes the game easier. Like Commander's Choice.
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

It was joke.
Counting missions is other option. Do 3 - than only one per 8 days. I hate to scan for months and get nothing. Then it is new game (again?)
It is easier when you know what is next. For me it was hell and still can't understand why such important peace of information is "left out "
Just to start new game ? 200+ times? Vigilance 5 rocks
The Preacher
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

faket15 wrote: I have no idea how no one else noticed.
Probably because people didn't realise how improbable it is to get a Lib 3 detected with that much time (never mind noticing that it happened as soon as the old detected mission expired). That or they think it might be a hidden feature that gets met with mysterious conditions - obfuscated mechanics make it hard to tell the uninitiated what the correct behaviour is.

Anyway yes, a scientist advisor should only be on duty for about 4 days starting from when the previous Lib 3 expired. Preferably after checking an intel mini-retal won't be happening during those days.
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
SonnyWiFiHr

Post by SonnyWiFiHr »

I don't use them like that.
Rushing 1st region require Scientist on duty or you get Tower quite late. I always try to do Liberation before FL 3.
2nd region on commander helps a lot to speed up finding missions - goal is here to get Lib 2 early as possible. It is on second set of missions.
I m rushing second region because reward is 25% faster research (if RND don't screw you) and I wan't it early as possible + you can get one in first sets of missions.
Getting scientists late = wasted time = no fast research = no detection of big rewards.
On legendary you can chill of and keep vigilance low in first region and probably lose game.
Rushing vs chill off = Scientists vs Basic research.

You can't rush without Scientist in heaven and chilling off is for me bad strategy.
My numbers:
3-6:1 in favor of rushing (in terms of more scientist = faster research) and can save 2 weeks per region per tower (saving intel / easier missions (Force Level)).

On Legendary where I can spare only 2 men per mission they are always in heaven. Few days of extra research vs one scientist more I choose scientist more.
The Preacher