Your Favorite Custom Class?

chaosxxxxx

Your Favorite Custom Class?

Post by chaosxxxxx »

In my last veteran campaign i mainly stuck with the default classes,but in my new commander run i decided to mix things up a little.
According to the workshop, the most popular class seemed to be the 'jedi' class, but the class is way too op(If u 'give in to the dark side' as they say) according to the description and comments.
I saw Derava have a pretty good time with the alien hunter class; however i personally had a pretty mundane experience. Bolt caster is imo the most useless item in xcom 2(next to chameleon suit), and the class almost solely depends on it. If u try to go melee, shinobi does a better job at that(no combative/cut throat/coup de grace).
Then i tried to go with the vanguard class,and oh my god, it is pretty much every thing i wished for. I felt LW2 made pistols almost utterly useless(too much investment,too little reward); this class does a real good job at fixing that. It has an entire tree dedicated to pistols, and combined to the awc perks,i am sure i will be able to kill m3 mechs on turn 1,with fanfire only(still in Spetember)...
P.S. The class has another tree that can make you a juggernaut with tonnes of armor and health,by sacrificing mobility. The last skill actually lets you regenerate 1 health per turn,a great asset for the final mission...
P.S.2. By default the class can only use cannons and shotguns, i changed the ini so he can now carry smgs. So, more mobility=more flanking=more crits=more dead aliens...

I heard good things about the spec ops class as well, but the whole meleeing without breaking concealment+shadowstrike combo; and entering concealment automatically whenever u spend a turn without seeing any enemies are some skills that just are just asking to be abused.
So, what is your favorite custom class? My next run will most likely be a legend one, and i would appreciate suggestions of any class that brings some unique play style and room for experiment; without breaking the game. If you personally had a good time of the class, most likely i would be doing the same.

TIA
orion_winterfire

Re: Your Favorite Custom Class?

Post by orion_winterfire »

Pre-long war I liked Richard's classes that used the lw perk pack. Haven't tried them in lw2 proper. The only custom classes I've used in lw are 3 psi-hybrid classes (psi rookies reloaded mod?)
They made early game noticeably easier, but that effect faded somewhat throughout the campaign.
And definitely fun.
Steelflame

Re: Your Favorite Custom Class?

Post by Steelflame »

For a single class mod, the Operator is pretty solid class with varied function, from a stealthy assassin who can sustain concealment even after shooting his weapon (Assuming he killed the target, anyway, and its a 5 turn CD on the skill in the mid game before you unlock the passive variant of it at max rank), but the most fun I get is from the LW2 Shadow Ops class pack.

You can either use it to replace the vanilla classes (it has 8 classes that cover all the primary roles), or with a few minor .ini edits have them function together.

The best part is the 8 classes are actually rather well balanced in comparison to the vanilla 7, with each having strengths and weaknesses that are notable. They come with brand new skills, and also have a ton of new skills for the new classes, with some additional AWC only skills added to the AWC (Including 2 new pistol perks. If you want to use all 9, you have to edit the LW2 AWC .ini to allow 9 pistol perks instead of only 7). In my current campaign, I heavily mix and match classes from the vanilla set and Shadow Ops set.

The only real problem is a few of the new skills sometimes fail to activate on certain missions, for no real reason, which can burn you bad if it happens when you were depending on that proc.