Low mobility Shinobi?

Dong101

Low mobility Shinobi?

Post by Dong101 »

I find that I do not fully ultilise the full blue/yellow move for my official/spotter Shinbi most of the time. And with SMG they do have acceptable mobility compare to other class. So will it be better to use a low mobility rookie to make them into official Shinobi?

Low mobility and aim rookie will be my top candidate for official shinobi.

What your opinion of that?
Locklen

Re: Low mobility Shinobi?

Post by Locklen »

It could work, but in the event that your shinobi needs/is forced to go "live", the reduced mobility may interfere with their ability to stab key targets.
orion_winterfire

Post by orion_winterfire »

It's worth trying, but I'd recommend against picking all shinobis like that, particularly because there's so many missions where you'll want the whole squad to have decent speed.

That said, in my current veteran campaign, I leveled my entire starting roster randomly. Between that, a couple of tactical errors, and a bit of chance, I think I only have 2 or 3 shinobis left on a roster of 45 in early august. Honestly, I miss them a lot less than I would have expected.

At any rate, please report back and let us know how it goes.
Zork

Post by Zork »

Shinobi with low aim and speed, so he certainly has high defense, dodge and health, later give them a speed PCS and later give him systematically a serum, and that looks like a good Shinobi.

Even if it's not a great choice, for me Scout Sword Shinobi with 14 speed is very playable. He is still faster than most soldiers not using a SMG.
NOT a tactical/strategy expert player, playing LW2 at Easy. Rather old so I appreciate not be bothered by excessive familiarity, I'm not your friend and will never be. Refuse to learn English well so don't attempt learn it to me, thank you. :-)
Psieye

Post by Psieye »

Low mobility, low aim = should have rolled high on defensive stats. Excellent candidate for a tank-shinobi whose main job is to be the sole visible tank that hunkers. That kinda demands you have a LOT of snipers in your roster. If you just have regular non-squadsight damage dealers, a tank shinobi is uh... well he can run to a hack objective as he isn't needed I guess? That or mule smokes/flashbangs/incendiaries.

Basically, always be thinking "what will my slow shinobi do when revealed and not in immediate danger?"
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
Dong101

Post by Dong101 »

Psieye wrote:Low mobility, low aim = should have rolled high on defensive stats. Excellent candidate for a tank-shinobi whose main job is to be the sole visible tank that hunkers. That kinda demands you have a LOT of snipers in your roster. If you just have regular non-squadsight damage dealers, a tank shinobi is uh... well he can run to a hack objective as he isn't needed I guess? That or mule smokes/flashbangs/incendiaries.

Basically, always be thinking "what will my slow shinobi do when revealed and not in immediate danger?"
I played Shinobi as spotter for my snipers and other just there to hand over cold drinks while the snipers take rest between shots. ;)

But what really gave me the ideal was I often run my Shinobi into detection range of drone if I do full blue move for my high mobility one. With SMG and speed pcs, 21 mobility is possible. That move almost the full sight range.

I seldom reveal my Shinobi unless it is totally necessary. Most mission ended with the shinobi stilll concealed. Hence I do not really need them to fleche or shot.
RookieAutopsy

Post by RookieAutopsy »

Reap high health enemy, then Fleche low health one (or two), setting up for a flanked Hit and Run on a 3rd into Rapid Fire or escape is extremely powerful and requires excellent mobility. I never waste my shinobis as pure spotters, they always break concealment at the appropriate moment, which is also why I don't make them officers.
hamds28

Post by hamds28 »

I save my highest mobility soldiers (if they have not too high defensive penalties) for assaults. Blue moves are king for them. Shinobi are fine with average to low-ish mobility, given the SMG bonus. But I also tend to not use vests for shinobi.
LordYanaek

Post by LordYanaek »

Same as hamds28, best mobility is for "in your face" Assaults using Close Encounters (you don't want to rely on R&G).
Low(ish) mobility is OK for a sword Shinobi as they can dash and attack. If i have a high mobility shinobi he will be a flanker.
I didn't really try the mixed build with Reaper because i don't like giving up Hunter's Instinct which is very strong on high move flankers but it's definitely another powerful option. Shinobis are extremely versatile soldiers with a lot of really good builds, i just wish it was possible to build some sneaky assassin type but i don't have very long to wait for a real one :P (thought it will be longer until i can use a Reaper in LW2)
aedn

Post by aedn »

Low mobility is not really an issue on shinobis, as they have fleche. If your goal is for a pure stealth build using the stealth perks, it's a good use of a soldier you might not use otherwise.

Personally, playing on legend I find very few soldiers that I can't make use of. Most of my soldiers are random promotions because I am more interested in bodies to Max mission counts.

You can offset most stats like defense, HP or speed with PCS use, turning limitations into advantages.
Dong101

Post by Dong101 »

A spotter/officer shinobi also normally do not carry utilities items. With SMG, they already about 3-5 more mobility than other. So it make sense to pick the low mobility one to make into shinobi. Also with low mobility amd aim, other stat are normally on high side. So they make good officer.

With the inpit from everyone, I tried trained 1 and I do not feel that he is slow. I think that what I will do for my next play thru.