Rapid holotargeting and SMG?

Sparky79

Rapid holotargeting and SMG?

Post by Sparky79 »

So yeah. This is an old thing for me. I like the idea of sharpshooters with smgs. It started even back in vanilla with gunslinger sharpshooters were I disliked having a sniper rifle on a soldier that doesnt use it much. Not to mention that the climbing/jumping animation with sniper rifle hanging from the belt ... yeaaaah - no. With LW SMGs my dislike grew. I could have a fast moving team with SMGs, and here the holotargeter would SHINE (gives the whole team extra damage, aim, crit which is great when the team has SMGs) but it would lag behind because of the sniper rifle, that it would hardly use as it would be targeting.

So what do you think about having an extra trait on rapid holotargeting? Add "Can equip SMGs/rifles."
Steve-O

Re: Rapid holotargeting and SMG?

Post by Steve-O »

Sparky79 wrote:So what do you think about having an extra trait on rapid holotargeting? Add "Can equip SMGs/rifles."
I just added rifles to the sharpshooter class in the ini files (which also adds SMGs.) Then I equip my holo-sharps ("spotters") with either rifles or SMGs and my regular snipers with sniper rifles. It's a little buggy because the spotters still have squadsight even when they have an SMG equipped (greatly increasing the range at which they can engage aliens with these weapons) but I don't mind that too much since I rarely shoot anything with my spotters anyway.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

You wouldn't hit anything anyway, what with a smg's range malus.
Sparky79

Post by Sparky79 »

Steve-O wrote:
Sparky79 wrote:So what do you think about having an extra trait on rapid holotargeting? Add "Can equip SMGs/rifles."
I just added rifles to the sharpshooter class in the ini files (which also adds SMGs.) Then I equip my holo-sharps ("spotters") with either rifles or SMGs and my regular snipers with sniper rifles. It's a little buggy because the spotters still have squadsight even when they have an SMG equipped (greatly increasing the range at which they can engage aliens with these weapons) but I don't mind that too much since I rarely shoot anything with my spotters anyway.
I tried that - didnt work out for some reason. Which ini did you change? For what mod?

And the bug does mess things up. Thats why I was hoping for the change to RHT. :)
Steve-O

Post by Steve-O »

Sparky79 wrote: I tried that - didnt work out for some reason. Which ini did you change? For what mod?

And the bug does mess things up. That's why I was hoping for the change to RHT. :)
I changed the ini that describes the classes in the LW2 mod directory, I believe. Config\XComClassData.ini, if I'm not mistaken.

I basically found one of the other classes in that file, that normally can use rifles, and copied the line that was adding rifles to their weapons list, then pasted that line in the sharpshooter's section (LWS_Sharpshooter.)
Sparky79

Post by Sparky79 »

Might give it a try. Thanks.
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

It's not an actual bug, anyone that gets Squadsight can fire being visual range with their primary weapon, you can in fact get squadsight with anyone through a tower hack reward, perfectly as designed.
Weapons other than sniper rifles have atrocious range tables for ss range, though.
8wayz

Post by 8wayz »

Another player tested equipping a SMG and having Death from Above. It works just like Serial - if you score a kill you get one action back, and as shooting costs only 1 action, you can go infinite. It is a very, very potent combo, mostly because you can have it at Lance Corporal rank.

Even if you just keep the SMG, you can go to higher elevation, finish off 1 or 2 aliens and still have one more action to get back into cover or out of sight.

This was probably the main reason why sharpshooters can only equip Sniper rifles.