Long war 1.4 not working

Manu259

Long war 1.4 not working

Post by Manu259 »

Hi, sorry if this was already adrresed and I didn't find it but I have a weird bug going for me.

I had stopped playing XCOM 2 for a while, at the time I only had the 1.2 version, recently I decided to start again so I check to see if Long War 2 had an update, that's where I find the 1.4 version.

I downloaded it from Nexus, installed it and started a new campaign, but it never goes beyond the loading screen for the first mission, it tells me to 'press any key to continue' when I do it goes black but I can still see the pointer and hear the music, a few seconds later the music stops and it doesn't matter how much I wait the game doesn't load so I have to close it.

I tried deleting my 'config' folder, deleting my saves, and running the game with nothing but the Long War mode and nothing works.

Also, for some reason the 1.2 version doesn't have a problem, I haven't gone very far but at the very least I can do the first mission and the first avenger scenes in 1.2.

Any help is appreciated.
llll BlackFlag

Re: Long war 1.4 not working

Post by llll BlackFlag »

Go to the game in your steam library and right click. Go to properties, find the button that says something like "verify game files." Also uninstall all your mods including long war and reinstall them from the steam workshop.
Manu259

Post by Manu259 »

llll BlackFlag wrote:Go to the game in your steam library and right click. Go to properties, find the button that says something like "verify game files." Also uninstall all your mods including long war and reinstall them from the steam workshop.
I alredy tried that, I even uninstalled the game and downloaded it again, it didn't work.
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Manu259 wrote:I alredy tried that, I even uninstalled the game and downloaded it again, it didn't work.
Did you clear out your profile config directory before you removed and reinstalled?

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config\

Did you check on Steam under XCom 2 in Workshop to see what mods you're currently subscribed to? Go to:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/268500/workshop/

then by the label "Your Workshop Files" under the dropdown menu "Your Files" click "Subscribed items" to see a list.

I also suggest you install and use the Alternative Mod Launcher as it helps to administer your XCom 2 mods, access their info, disable and remove them, as well as see possible conflicts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xcom2mods/comm ... continued/
Clownprince

Post by Clownprince »

I have the exact same problem. Tried everything from re installation to alt mod launcher. nothing works. PLS SEND HALP
Manu259

Post by Manu259 »

I managed to fix it, I don't know why this works though.

Here is what I did: Go to the 'CookedPCConsole' in the Long War folder it should be '..../XCOM 2/XComGame/Mods/Long War 2/CookedPCConsole' if you already have the mod installed, the '....' part is where you installed the game (C/Games/.... in my case) and copy the two files there.

Then go to the folder with the same name in your installation of the XCom game it should be something like '..../XCOM 2/XComGame/CookedPCConsole' and paste them there, it will say that there are already files with the same name so it will delete the ones that were there before (I reccomend been on the safe side and copy those in another place, it's only two files, I think they are the last two on that folder), I deleted the config folder and my saves before starting the game, without any mods activated just to be safe, when it got to the menu I closed it, activated all the mods I wanted, not just LW, and it worked.

Thanks for the help llll BlackFlag and Jacke, and I hope this works for you as well Clownprince
Jacke

Post by Jacke »

Manu259 wrote:I managed to fix it, I don't know why this works though.

Thanks for the help llll BlackFlag and Jacke, and I hope this works for you as well Clownprince
Glad I was able to help. However, I think there still may be an issue here, especially if you try to disable Long War 2 and run stock XCom 2.

I've looked at those two files in mine:

XComGame.upk
XComGame.upk.uncompressed_size

but in the XCom 2 program directory tree and the Steam Workshop tree for XCom2 for Long War 2. They are different. The ones in the Long War 2 directory tree are handled later and should have worked. For some reason, I think the ones you had in the XCom2 program directory tree were damaged and breaking things before it got to mod loading. Reinstalling XCom 2 after a wipe should have fixed that.

Right now, things may not work if you try to run stock XCom 2, because its version of the files are now Long War 2's.

This is what I can recall of mods for XCOM 2. It's evolved and is messy. (But it's hard to make any modding system not messy.)

Files get handled by the program in order. Later files are "merged" into early similar ones, or in some cases override them. That order is I think like this:

1. XCom 2 program directory
<Steam install folder>\SteamApps\common\XCOM 2\

2. User profile directory
\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\

3. XCom 2 program directory mods
<Steam install folder>\SteamApps\common\XCOM 2\Mods\

4. XCom 2 Steam Workshop mods
<Steam install folder>\SteamApps\workshop\content\268500\844674609\

The XCom 2 program creates missing items in #2 from its defaults when it runs (like when you clear out the config directory). The executable code runs scripts that load the INI files with config values. Lots of mod INI files include lines leading with '-' to disable previous settings and '+' to add things. Also the order in which the mods are handled in #3 and #4 can makes things work or break when mods change similar things without a lot of fancy care.

Most people now don't mod in #3 (by manually installing from mod sources like Nexus) but use Steam Workshop alone. This helps a bit but can still founder on the mod load order.

This is why the Alternate Mod Launcher exists, to help make this more controllable and sometimes fixable.
Clownprince

Post by Clownprince »

Manu259 wrote:I managed to fix it, I don't know why this works though.

Here is what I did: Go to the 'CookedPCConsole' in the Long War folder it should be '..../XCOM 2/XComGame/Mods/Long War 2/CookedPCConsole' if you already have the mod installed, the '....' part is where you installed the game (C/Games/.... in my case) and copy the two files there.

Then go to the folder with the same name in your installation of the XCom game it should be something like '..../XCOM 2/XComGame/CookedPCConsole' and paste them there, it will say that there are already files with the same name so it will delete the ones that were there before (I reccomend been on the safe side and copy those in another place, it's only two files, I think they are the last two on that folder), I deleted the config folder and my saves before starting the game, without any mods activated just to be safe, when it got to the menu I closed it, activated all the mods I wanted, not just LW, and it worked.

IT WORKED OMG WHAT KINDA SORCERY IS THIS LMAO!!!!!! THANK U SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH
Manu259

Post by Manu259 »

Jacke wrote:
Glad I was able to help. However, I think there still may be an issue here, especially if you try to disable Long War 2 and run stock XCom 2.

I've looked at those two files in mine:

XComGame.upk
XComGame.upk.uncompressed_size

but in the XCom 2 program directory tree and the Steam Workshop tree for XCom2 for Long War 2. They are different. The ones in the Long War 2 directory tree are handled later and should have worked. For some reason, I think the ones you had in the XCom2 program directory tree were damaged and breaking things before it got to mod loading. Reinstalling XCom 2 after a wipe should have fixed that.

Right now, things may not work if you try to run stock XCom 2, because its version of the files are now Long War 2's.

This is what I can recall of mods for XCOM 2. It's evolved and is messy. (But it's hard to make any modding system not messy.)

Files get handled by the program in order. Later files are "merged" into early similar ones, or in some cases override them. That order is I think like this:

1. XCom 2 program directory
<Steam install folder>\SteamApps\common\XCOM 2\

2. User profile directory
\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\XCOM2\

3. XCom 2 program directory mods
<Steam install folder>\SteamApps\common\XCOM 2\Mods\

4. XCom 2 Steam Workshop mods
<Steam install folder>\SteamApps\workshop\content\268500\844674609\

The XCom 2 program creates missing items in #2 from its defaults when it runs (like when you clear out the config directory). The executable code runs scripts that load the INI files with config values. Lots of mod INI files include lines leading with '-' to disable previous settings and '+' to add things. Also the order in which the mods are handled in #3 and #4 can makes things work or break when mods change similar things without a lot of fancy care.

Most people now don't mod in #3 (by manually installing from mod sources like Nexus) but use Steam Workshop alone. This helps a bit but can still founder on the mod load order.

This is why the Alternate Mod Launcher exists, to help make this more controllable and sometimes fixable.

I honestly don't know, the most modding I have made on XCOM 2 is changing some .ini files with the skin of a weapon that was giving the wrong stats.

Personally I won't worry about disabling Long War 2 since I don't see myself doing that, unless the new expansion breaks it but if that happens I have the originals in a backup folder (it's a good habit to always backup everything)

But I'll try to run the game without long war 2 and tell you if it breaks or not, once again thanks for the help.

Jacke wrote:
IT WORKED OMG WHAT KINDA SORCERY IS THIS LMAO!!!!!! THANK U SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH
A magician never reveals his secrets... that and I have a minus idea of why that works, not even zero idea but minus idea lol.

Glad it worked, now go ahead and put some bullets on the bastards.
Manu259

Post by Manu259 »

I can confirm that, at the very least, I was able to do Gatecrasher without mods and get to the Avenger without problem.