Overdrive Serum, what's the point of making it consumable?

LordYanaek

Overdrive Serum, what's the point of making it consumable?

Post by LordYanaek »

Currently it costs only 3 supplies to produce and doesn't cost a Berserker corpse but it's used up when you use it in battle. By the time you can produce it, 3 supplies is nothing and you can easily mass produce it to equip plenty of soldiers (it's a lot of fun BTW) so it doesn't limit it's availability, it just creates some micromanagement where you need to periodically produce it and add it to the soldiers equipment.

With Berserker corpse in the production cost, if it's a consumable we tend to never use it (at least i never used it) because it's so hard to produce and "i might need it badly later" so in the end i stopped equipping it as it was just using up a slot.

I think it's impossible to balance it correctly for Long War as a consumable. Why not make it single-use in battle but not removed from the inventory like every other "consumable" and increase the cost a lot (bringing back the Berserker corpse and possibly throwing an Elerium core and some Elerium dust). It would make it hard to mass-produce it and remove the pointless micromanagement.

I'm really curious why the developers decided to keep it a consumable and change the cost periodically, removing, than adding, then removing again the Berserker corpse. I'm not criticizing, just wondering why :?
Psieye

Re: Overdrive Serum, what's the point of making it consumable?

Post by Psieye »

My first question would be: can they make it a non-consumable? Is it hard-coded to be a consumable?
My three 8-man GOp squad Commander campaigns:
1st
2nd
3rd
WanWhiteWolf

Re: Overdrive Serum, what's the point of making it consumable?

Post by WanWhiteWolf »

Psieye wrote:My first question would be: can they make it a non-consumable? Is it hard-coded to be a consumable?
If that would be a problem, they could simply reward you one at the end of the mission.

I would prefer it if it would be more expensive but have more charges. This way you don't have to micromanage it so often.