Hidden Armer on Objects

oesis

Hidden Armer on Objects

Post by oesis »

Some attackable targets, like data taps, and exploding barrels cannot be missed. However sometimes I notice my soldiers dealing damage to them outside of the weapons damage range. IE a 3-5 weapon dealing 2 to a gas tank. So the only thing I can think is that there are hidden grazes or hidden armor. Does anyone know why soldiers sometimes deal less damage to these targets.
fowlJ

Re: Hidden Armer on Objects

Post by fowlJ »

I believe it is typically thought to be the graze band - you have a 100% chance to hit them, so with the default graze setting that would be a 10% chance to graze them for half damage instead of hitting them normally.

I'm not 100% sure that that is the real reason, but it seems a pretty likely explanation.
nmkaplan

Post by nmkaplan »

I have occasionally heard my soldiers pipe up with "right on the margins!" or one of the other graze responses when this happens. I don't know if anyone on the LW2 team has ever acknowledged that this is what is happening (though it's been brought up in the past), but it's almost certainly a side-effect of the graze band.

I suspect that if you turned the graze band off, you wouldn't see the behavior anymore.
oesis

Post by oesis »

If that is the case, maybe these targets should show 100%, instead of no aim at all. Since not showing aim implies its guaranteed damage like combat protocol. Where as 100% would make sense with graze band. Still I personally would prefer if there wasn't grazes on these objects at all.
JulianSkies

Post by JulianSkies »

I do believe PI has acknowledged it as a bug, you're not supposed to graze on those targets but due to the way the graze band was implemented it is possible.